PDA

View Full Version : 12-7 Melones Report

FireFisher
12-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Well I braved the weather Friday in hopes of being on the water at the tail end of the storm! I got on the water at 0730. I went as far up the the inlet past Parrot's Ferry bridge as I could where the Stan comes in. It was raining pretty good at the end. I marked a ton of fish up there! I started to troll back towards the lake at 1.5 mph, I ran one rod with leaded line at about 15' down and put an Uncle Larry's with a crawler on it. Before I had a chance to put all the line out I had a fish on. I was a 14" black bass! I re-rigged and ran the same thing out and before I could get the line out all the way bam! another 13" blackie! Needless to say, I was fishing for trout >:( So I drove on down about 50 yards in hopes of getting out of that bass hole!!! Further down I put my leaded line out with the Unlce Larry's/crawler and was able to get the line out completely this time. I then ran a Crystal Basin spinner tipped with a brown 3" grub on my downrigger at 20'. About 2 minutes later I had a fish on the grub line, I was a d*** bluegill! Re-rigged the grub and caught another bluegill! Honestly, the action was great, but I wanted a frickin trout :-[ About 10 minutes later I finally got my trout on the Larry's/crawler setup, it was a nice 17" bow ;D As the day progressed the rain finally stopped, and my final tally was 7 bows to 17", 3 black bass, and 3 blue gill. All but one trout were caught on the Uncle Larry's/crawler with one nice fat 15" guy caught toplining a black wooley bugger. All the fish were C&R.

I do have a question, everything I caught was in the 20' and up range. When I was in the deeper water (60-100') I marked a lot of bigger fish between 40-75 feet. My question is, were these probably trout, and if so are they catchable this time of year and with what type of setup should I use?

Thanks!

HOOF
12-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Those fish you marked that were larger could very well be suspended bass-if you marked them where you were catchin...If trout roll shad for hammers

Mr._Striper
12-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the report.

Oxbow
12-08-2007, 08:19 PM
I agree with Guy,

I have picked up bass on spinner crawler combo rigs at 40 to 50 feet this time of year.

TroutWagon
12-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the report. Those fish down deep between 40 -70 most likely are bass, or the could be old 3rd year kokes just waiting there turn to die bunched up in a school. The only way to tell is to catch one or send on of those underwater camera attached to your downrigger and check it out(Iv'e seen guys do it with a camera, it's pretty cool to see that deep) One more different species of fish and you would of had a grand(fish)slam! Keep the reports coming!

TW

FireFisher
12-08-2007, 09:52 PM
I'll settle for an "in the lake" triple! ;D

tortuga
12-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Hey welcome to the boards. You are one dedicated fisherman to fish that weather! Congrats on a successful adventure.
Tortuga