PDA

View Full Version : Never believe the weather guy

Farrier_Frank
12-05-2007, 09:36 PM
The wind didn't hit my truck until I was 8 miles from the Nevada border. I got up at 4 and was heading east on 80, out of Auburn, by 5 Monday morning, but the wind didn't hit me until I crossed the border, about 7, just about the time I was gonna make the final call to Mongo... and the radio kept talking small craft warnings - 55 mph gusts.

Three weeks ago Mongo and I fished Pyramid in 65 mph gusts so I figured Mongo would think this was a walk in the park. We knew the wind was gonna be coming from the south west so launching and pulling out at Pelican would be a piece of cake.... that's what the weather guy said, and we believed him. [smiley=duh.gif]

Mongo started to get weak in the knees when he realized the weather guy lied, watching the waves hitting the Pelican docks head on, splashing over his spill-well, soaking the back of the boat. But the boat was launched... point the bow into the wind and pray to the Gods the wind turns around before we pull out.

The first fish came to the boat off Separator, caught on a frog Lyman (12'/3.2 mph), and the wind started to die. The second fish came to the boat just past the marina, another Lyman (18'/2.4 mph)... and the wind quit blowing altogether. We boated 12 fish Monday and had our share of LDR's and short strikes. The weather was great; warm, with a light breeze.... nothing like the weather guy said.

But then, three o'clock Monday afternoon, we're fishing north west of Tamaracks, right in an area I know the fish are, also right in line with the cut in the mountain where Pyramid Way comes thru, that's when the weather guy wakes up and gets it right and out of the clear blue the wind funneled thru that cut in the mountain and rolled at us like a cosmic bowling ball, teeth nashing, wicked wind... The wind hit the water with a wake-up call and it didn't take us long to reel in and boogie back to Crosby's; drinking a beer, talking Tuesday fishing... but Tuesday turned out to be another story.

We launched at Popcorn Tuesday morning and headed straight to Dago Bay. The sky was overcast but the water was quiet. No wind. Mongo was taking me to his secret hole and guaranteed I'd come back with my arms sore from catching 10 lb fish. Didn't happen. ::)

We caught fish early in Dago Bay on dark colored Lyman's, some with red in them, and we saw a lot of fish and bait balls on the screen. But the fish played with us, all day they played with us. We had too many bumps and tail slaps, to say nothing of LDR's. It was like the fish were swimming around our lures, kissing our lures with love taps, following them all the way to the boat just to have fun and drive us crazy. Early, I had two solid hookups and lost both on a black/white hatchback Lyman with a splash of purple... Mongo landed the first fish Tuesday on a blue/purple/black/white something-or-other Lyman... the one that's not in my tackle box. [smiley=duh.gif]

The weather guy said it was gonna be windy and cold Tuesday. He lied. It was a great day to be fishing Pyramid. We found a window where the fire-tiger Lyman turned on and we hooted and hollered as I worked the boat close across the points... until, that is, I got Mongo stuck on a rock in 3 feet of water (at 3 mph) he almost got spooled.

I don't know whether it was because Mongo was behind on the fish count at that point, with time running out, or if it was because he thought I kept trying to sand the bottom of his boat on the points that got him riled up. Whatever it was he fired the boat up and took us 5 miles back to Dago where we trolled thru bait balls for squat. Nothing! The bite died. :-/

Frustrated, Mongo fired the boat up again, told me he was gonna check out the mouth of the Truckee. He found it. Mud churning in our wake like a chocolate milk shake, Mongo found the mouth of the Truckee. When I saw the whites of his eyes show for the first time in two days fishing I knew he was getting concerned about the prop on his 70 hp Johnson plowing a furrow thru the mud, like he was getting ready to plant corn... and I knew then, at that moment, the fishing trip was over and the best thing I could do was keep my mouth shut.

But hey.... The weather guy never said anything about mud.[smiley=homersimpson.gif]

chicofishrmen
12-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Great report MF., but next time take some pic's! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/tongue.gif Ok this might be a little off topic, but not that far, but after reading this & fishing buddy's report, does anyone else see a pattern? Fish caught off Dago Bay & fish caught off Wino beach? http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/shocked.gif http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif Henceforth, these areas will be called Italy Bay and Alcoholic Dependent Beach! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

fernley_tim
12-05-2007, 11:58 PM
Like Frank said weather was great 8-) Frank took the most fish tittle :'( but I had the two biggest ;) ;D 24" 5.8# we had over twenty fish that were missed :-
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7315/122and4003dl8.jpg
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9180/122and4005jf2.jpg
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/1310/122and4006yv8.jpg
my 24"er ;)
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2916/122and4008ug6.jpg
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8257/122and4010uj8.jpg
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7060/122and4011tl1.jpg
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7871/122and4012ft6.jpg

tatted_fisherman
12-06-2007, 12:02 AM
i know weather men are full of it!i wanted to go up to berryesa this weekend but the weather man said *its gonna rain :-/ i hope not ive really been wantin to go!i wonder if i should belive him or not *[smiley=undecided.gif]

KOKANEEKIDTC
12-06-2007, 01:23 AM
never beleive the weatherman!!! such a waste! all of that education and they still can't get it right!

Seon
12-06-2007, 06:18 AM
Great pics and an excellent report.

dave_in_el_dorado
12-06-2007, 08:06 AM
frank and mongo, fantastic story. i have never fished pyramid from a boat. i fished eagle for the first time in my life early october, we had a couple days w/ 50+ mph winds so i now know about that.......good stuff...........you guys are hard core and thats a great story. being a geologist makes fishing those high desert lakes even more incredible for me.

i have a question about the body condition of those fish, is it the photos, or me or do those fish have really slim bellies?......is there a forage problem at pyramid, or is it the time of year (i.e. cycles in forage population or are they spawned out)? the eagle lake fish we caught all had really fat bellies gorging on brine shrimp and other things.........just curious....

thanks

vvbob
12-06-2007, 08:23 AM
You tell a pretty good story FF, I'm chuckling pretty good right now. Thanks 8-)
Great pics too.

robert_long
12-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Good story and photos Frank :) :) Tim its nice to see you holding a fish with out a cigarette in your mouth ;)Tim told me he is done with smoking
at the fest. :-?

Robert 8-)

CHICKFISHING58
12-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Frank,
It’s a good thing you were going out with Tim because we would have headed back to Crosby’s for that drink. [smiley=party.gif]Nice job guys

Mongo,
I herd your trying for the 15 lb fish
[smiley=nana.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

fernley_tim
12-06-2007, 07:48 PM
i have a question about the body condition of those fish, is it the photos, or me or do those fish have really slim bellies?......is there a forage problem at pyramid, or is it the time of year (i.e. cycles in forage population or are they spawned out)? *the eagle lake fish we caught all had really fat bellies gorging on brine shrimp and other things.........just curious....

thanks[/quote]
dave to answer your question about the fish being skinny I have caught some skinny light colored fish this year :-/ It might be the new strain cuts they planted :-/ as far as spawners they spawn out in the sping ;) most fish have good girth, kinda like mongo ;D
robert I still have not given up those nasty cigs :-[ but I will ::) when are you comming up? so I can knock a nice 10#er off with my great netting expertise ;D ;D

Farrier_Frank
12-07-2007, 06:19 AM
... being a geologist makes fishing those high desert lakes even more incredible for me.

Dave... If you're a geologist you'd love fishing Pyramid in a boat. From a boat the lake is a museum of interesting rock formations, primitive mountains and geothermal activity. I probably spend as much time gazing at the structures and wondering how it all formed as I do watching my rod.... *I'd ask Mongo about the history of the formations but he's a beerologist and usually keeps his eye on the cooler.[smiley=winkfs.gif]

Pyramid_Kid
12-07-2007, 01:58 PM
I never believe the weather guy. Especially the local weather guys. Depending on the source of your weather information you may just be getting the info for Reno/Sparks area, which will quite litterally do you absolutely no good at all. As Reno/Sparks area is a good 30+ miles away.

Ive seen it blow like nobody's business in Reno and be dead calm at Pyramid. And vise versa dead calm in town and breakers so big on the beaches that youd have to stand back 4 feet from where the water normally is just to not get wet.

So in short really the only way to know if the wind is going to be a factor at Pyramid Lake is to go out and look or check our the Crosby Lodge web page and look at thier web cam photo. Even then what you see may look bad but what you cant see may be totally acceptable.

Mr._Striper
12-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Hey Frank, hows it going? Sweet report there boss. looks like you guys had alot of fun.

By the way..... :-? How are those pigs doing? Are you keeping them well fed for me? Take it easy boss.

fernley_tim
12-07-2007, 08:51 PM
I'd ask Mongo about the history of the formations but he's a beerologist and usually keeps his eye on the cooler.
what are you trying to say frank ::) Mongo knows rock stuff too ;D ;D but my Phd is in beerolgy ;D

dave_in_el_dorado
12-08-2007, 11:01 AM
...............I'd ask Mongo about the history of the formations but he's a beerologist and usually keeps his eye on the cooler

;D *;D
funny, i got a degree in beerology too, its one of the requirements of becoming a geologist *;)

pyramid is a fabulous place that i've only visited a couple times. *fished from shore once, accidentally caught (and released) a large tui chub, that's one primitive lookin fish!. *if any are interested, i know a little about pyramids history......caution......stop reading here unless you like beer, and fishing, AND ROCKS............before the last ice age, did you guys know that pyramid was once part of the giant inland Lake Lahontan that was connected from Eagle Lake all the way down to China Lake (south of Owens) and included Walker, Mono, and several others. *the biggest tufa formations i've ever seen occur on the west side of pyramid.......(tufa is a type of limestone that formed around submerged freshwater artesian springs and its quite rare) Mono has a bunch of smaller ones. *after the last ice age, once the water receded, the "tufa towers" were left high and dry on the old shorelines. *pyramid and eagle are the lucky couple of remnant lakes whose water can still support a fishery, most of the others became too saline as they receded into their closed basins as they are today. *this recession from one big lake to several smaller isolated lakes is also how different strains or subspecies of trout developed in each lake (they were probably all one species ten thousand of years ago). *

so mongo, you said they have "new strain cuts", i didnt know pyramid had a program. *is it like the eagle lake program where they try and maintain pyramid cutthroat genetics? or are they mixing in other species? *as far as i know, eagle tries to maintain pure genetics.

ok, enough beergeology. *one of these days i'd love to fish it. *thanks again for sharing that story frank and mongo.