PDA

View Full Version : Melones  12/1 Two limits

kokemachine83
12-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Me and dad got to the ramp at 6:30. Headed towards the Parrots Ferry Bridge. 4 Lines in at 7:00. Didn't even have two rods in the water when one starts jumping. Nice little 15" planter. Released. Then another. By the time we got up to where i wanted to turn around we had 7 fish. Started to head back towards the 49 Bridge. We ended up catching a total of 15 fish. 13 were Rainbows and 1 12" koke and 1 15" Bass. All fish were released. Was a little on the cold side this morning. Saw lots of ice on the cars in town before getting to the ramp. Only saw 2 boats trolling all day up river. Called out to any sniffers with out any reply.

Now about the lake turning over? It was 58.2 first thing in the morning and it was 58.8 when left around 1:30. I think the lake has turned over. You just have to move around to find active fish. When we caught our fish it was two or three at one time. Also most of the fish were caught in the 20' to surface range. I ran one rod down at 30' and that's the one that caught the Bass, go figure. We did catch one of the bigger trout on that setup.
Lures: All Apex's Cop-car - Blue/silver - Firetiger
Scents: Pro-cure Shad and Krill Gel
Speed: 1.3 - 1.5 Yes you can catch them that slow!!!
Depths: Surface down to 30'
Fish: 13 rainbows - 1 Koke - 1 Bass = 15
So it looks like thing are starting to pick up. Good luck to all and to all Tight lines.
Robbie (Koke Machine)...

Mr._Striper
12-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Sweet report, thanks.

Mickey_Thomas
12-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Sweet report, thanks.I"ll second that :D Did you troll any dodgers in front of those apexes?

TroutWagon
12-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Robbie,

Looks like you woke up the sleeping trout. Good job on the limits. Were the trout all planters or some holdovers mixed in? Either way looks like you dad were busy! Thank for the report, going out to berryessa to try again. Keep in touch,

Rich

ratss427
12-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Sweet report, thanks.I"ll second that :D Did you troll any dodgers in front of those apexes?

I'll second that second! ;)

btw,i love to sloooow troll too. :)

untalan1
12-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Great to hear that Melones is finally putting out a steady bite .Hope to make up there before my shoulder surgury.Love that lake!

Martinez Frank
12-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the report, sounds like things are picking up.

mtnlks
12-02-2007, 06:51 AM
Robbie, check your pm.

Howard

kokemachine83
12-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Mickey Thomas: I ran all the Apex's Naked. NO DODGER'S.

Trout Wagon: Hey Rich, It looked like all the trout were planter's. But they are sure the prettiest rainbows i have seen in a while. But sure are a lot of fun catching on a Kokanee rod. Let me know about Berryessa when you go. Would like to get back up there and catch something?

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

Mickey_Thomas
12-02-2007, 09:02 AM
Mickey Thomas: I ran all the Apex's Naked. NO DODGER'SThanks Robbie, good info there, I like naked :D

sweetfish
12-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Hey Guys the local paper (Vacaville) has the bite for trout as " ON " at skiers cove and the narrows of Berryessa, not sure about the source of their info, sorry for the highjack.

feelinminnesota
12-02-2007, 09:33 AM
rats, and i spent yesterday(my birthday) in sonora at a girls basketball tournament. i asked my wife to drop me off at the lake, but she wouldn't have it. >:( 8-)
nice job in the cold. it's always a little warmer when you are catching fish ;)

kokemachine83
12-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Sweetfish: The Spanish flat web site has the same thing. Skier's cove and the narrow. With the same thing they always put up. Kastmaster and Needlefish. I know if there's some fish in there. TroutWagon will find them. He will let us know on the boards.

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

Fish_Bully
12-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Whew Baby! Great informative report as always Robbie. I'll be out there next weekend.

Thanks,

Flip

kokemachine83
12-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Hey Flip, Will you be bringing that PIMPED out boat? Looks like i will be back up there next weekend on Sat. Good to hear from you.

Fish_Bully
12-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Robbie - Last year I restored a boat and this year I am restoring an antique piano. The "Boss" says I have to finish the piano before I'm allowed to fish and I'll be done any day.

Yes, I will be there in my chick magnet, uh....err, I mean fishing boat.

Hope to see ya,

Flipe

D_falt
12-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Hey Guys
Great info on New Melones. I will be out there next Saturday.
thanks
Doug

tortuga
12-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Way to go Robbie. We went out this morning (Sun) for about 3 hrs mainly the spillway and the 49 bridge. Nothing except a lot of waves and wind... even at the bridge. Our new CoPilot worked great. Thanks Nympher!! It made all the difference in that wind. Danny Lane if you read this thanks for the advise. You're the one that suggested the bow mount motor to help in the wind!!! Thanks for the words.
The water temp was a steady 59 all morning.
Tortuga

Mickey_Thomas
12-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Remember to call out on channel 69 Sat. no telling who will be on the water ;)

wkokaneeman
12-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Ah yes,the lake has turned over!! now,i wonder if Pedro has turned yet? i bet it has.now,someone needs to find those Kings at Pedro. i'll be without boat this weekend,and next weekend.it's in Sac,having a Furuno transducer replaced. i just got 2 new G.Loomis rods on Thursday,2 replace the 2 that broke this year.they have cleaned up reels,restrung with new line,and ready to go!! can't wait to get out and try everything!! maybe someone can get over to Pedro,and see if some Kings are about!!

tortuga
12-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Well twoelk where are the Kings?
Tortuga

camotracker
12-02-2007, 04:17 PM
right on robbie. sounds like you had a great day at the office. thanks for the report

kokemachine83
12-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey Tortuga, I will also be getting an Co-pilot in a couple of weeks. I've gone through three foot pedals now. Just bought another one for this weekend. Then i'll have back up. Have to learn how to use the wireless controls.

Ironhead
12-03-2007, 07:05 AM
*Have to learn how to use the wireless controls.

It is simple, just stand in the back of the boat and fish.

Great job again Robbie. *When no one else gets it done, you do. You have started something just like you did *this past February.

See you on the water soon...

tortuga
12-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Robbie
The only problem with the co-pilot is size....I'm sure I'm gonna lose the durn thing. It's about the size of a car remote...but it floats so at least if you drop it it 's re claimable. They sell a clip to put it on your rod but I don't have one yet.
Tortuga

kokemachine83
12-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Tortuga, I see some guys wear them around there necks on a chain. That's what i was going to do. If i get the one with rod holder and i have 4 poles out, i won't remember which one has the remote. Or just maybe i'll try the wrist thing first. Just been a lot of toys for me to play with. First GPS, then wireless steering. I guess there's no to time to fish!!!

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

RonM
12-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Thats' what I do, I have a license holder that goes around my neck. I attached my remote to the lanyard so it's right there all the time and I never have to go looking for it. It also makes me remember to put my license on.

Dennis
12-03-2007, 06:05 PM
I have mine on a lanyard as well. However at times I have to go back to the truck to get the license and the remote. But that sure beats paying a fine.

MrDwnRigger
12-03-2007, 09:33 PM
I wear mind with the wristband since I don't wear a watch any more. I keep my backup one on a lanyard so whoever is with me can also steer the boat if they want to. I'm on my third one just had my second one die. Not really sure why they're dying but I'm getting a little over two years per remote. I'm thinking possibly as the battery voltage goes down it may be affecting some of the electronics in the remote. Cleaning the contacts and installing new batteries have not helped. *I would recommend putting the little cover over the remote when you're done using it (done fishing). It's very easy to bump and turn the prop on. I made a habit to put mine away with my fishing license in the same place in the glove box.

May be changing the batterys once a year may stop them from dying, not really sure.

I've just ordered a new Riptide ST 80 AutoPilot which has the new remote that you can turn the autopilot on and off and also has a full throttle button. I thought I would get myself a early Christmas present. ::)

MrD

froggie
12-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the info Mr Dwnrigger. I got lucky and have a brand new remote so I should have a couple of years. I need to order another remote. Froggie still needs one too so we can both steer depending on who's catching the fish...course since she usually catches the fish ???
See you on the water
Tortuga

Oh yeah welcome to the boards.

tortuga
12-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Woops [smiley=undecided.gif] I just noticed that the computer was logged on to Froggie's sign in...but that really was me..Really
Tortuga [smiley=embarassed.gif]

kokemachine83
12-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Mr. Downrigger, Hey Dave, When i by the new unit. How many wireless remotes comes with it? Is the wrist one and the one everyone put around the necks the same? So many new toys, I'm going to have to get the engerizer bunny to follow me around!!! More power SCOTTY!!!!

Mickey_Thomas
12-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Gee, sounds like a few of us sniffers will be on the water Fri and Sat at New Melones, make sure you tune your VHF's to channel 69 when you launch. Also, look for the "STARS" :D

Dennis
12-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Mr. Downrigger, *Hey Dave, When i by the new unit. How many wireless remotes comes with it? *Is the wrist one and the one everyone put around the necks the same? *So many new toys, I'm going to have to get the engerizer bunny to follow me around!!! *More power *SCOTTY!!!!

They come with one remote. However there is a promotion on select models. Basically it's a second remote for $4.99 shipping and handling

See the promotion details link on the following web pages.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/promotions/detail.asp?pg=terrova

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/promotions/detail.asp?pg=riptidest

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/promotions/detail.asp?pg=powerdrive

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/promotions/detail.asp?pg=riptidesp

Ron G
12-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Gee, sounds like a few of us sniffers will be on the water Fri and Sat at New Melones, make sure you tune your VHF's to channel 69 when you launch. Also, look for the "STARS"

What, a Melones mini fest ?? *:) *

kokemachine83
12-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Dennis, I see that you have four (4) different links. I have a 12 volt bow mount on my 18' North River. I guess Sonny at Sonny's Electric will know which one? I hope that offer is steal going on, would be nice to have an extra. Thanks for the info

I will be at Melones on this Saturday. I will be heading back up river to see if those Rainbows are still there. Give out a shout on channel 69. I know it's hard to get anyone out on the main lake from the river arm!!!

doneli
12-04-2007, 08:40 PM
finally a good report from melones!!!! :) thanks kokemachine!!!

-doneli-

MrDwnRigger
12-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Oh yeah welcome to the boards.

Thanks, actually I used to post here years ago on the old FS board.

Robbie, unfortunately I don't think you qualify for the free remote. I believe you you have to purchase a complete unit either with the copilot or the copilot separate.

I do recommend keeping your foot pedal assembly stowed in the boat. It will actually plug into the copilot since it has an extra plug for it. After about two trips with the copilot I unplugged the foot pedal assembly and took it out. *Not think I would need it since it was in the way. Of course the first time one of the remotes died one of my friends not fishing with me at the time, had left my spare remote in his coat pocket so I had no way of using it. Without the foot pedal assembly I had to steer with the kicker motor, definitely not as easy as the bow trolling motor.

Hey, leave a few in there for us, will probably be there the weekend of the 15th. :)

MrD

Mickey_Thomas
12-05-2007, 06:29 AM
Gee, sounds like a few of us sniffers will be on the water Fri and Sat at New Melones, make sure you tune your VHF's to channel 69 when you launch. Also, look for the "STARS"

What, a Melones mini fest ?? *:) *I guess so, :D We'll call for you kokemachine83 and RonG when we hit the water Saturday ;) The wife and I will be in SuperDaves blue Jetcraft :)

RonM
12-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread

kokemachine83
12-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Downrigger: Hey Dave, i have plans of keeping the foot pedal on board. Just in case somethings happens. Was told i could use either one. More back up stuff. I will for sure be up there at Melones on this Sat. Probably the 15th also!!! Just in case we have some kind of Fest!!!

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

Mickey_Thomas
12-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Sounds like a mini fest to me ;D ;D ;D
Put him back to rookie;D He's acting like one..........
I've heard Martinez Frank will be there in his new boat too, the trouble is he hasn't got his VHF radio installed yet so he'll be on a weaky, wacky, portable one. Guess we won't have any trouble hiding from Frank ;D ;D ;D

Grizz
12-05-2007, 07:03 PM
I'll be there Saturday in a Punkin colored kayak. Don't run me over. [smiley=outcold.gif]

Sin_Coast
12-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Yup, there's a small kayak fishing tourney on Saturday. I'll be the guy in the yellow kayak getting towed by the brown trout. The kayak guys use ch 69 also.
Good luck!

Grizz
12-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Sin Coast,

Iím in that tourney, maybe see you at sign in

iron-man
12-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Good luck guys, Oxbow and I trolled around in the South part of Melones yesterday (wed) for one sdr, on a brown plastic grub. Marked fish but little action . Off the water by 1 Pm. On a high note, we were in tee shirts at noon, beautiful day out. We tried a variety of stuff including the old stand-by NCs. Talked to one other boat, we had better luck than he was having. Good luck , IM

SuperDave
12-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Mickey is backing out of the driveway and I'm a couple hours behind him. Looks like we'll be fishing in the wet tomorrow. Saturday looks good though. When we report back, you'll know two things:

1) Mickey's report will be a lie.

2) We will have used everything we got in the tackle boxes.

froggie
12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Okay, this time it really IS Froggie.
Tortuga better check who is logged in B4 he starts typing. HA HA

It's Thurs evening & rain is coming down pretty steady outside of Sonora. Supposed to do this all night & snow in the high country down to 5,000'. Should cool the lake off even more. [smiley=cold.gif]

We'll be going out on Sat. morning. Tortuga wanted to try the spillway again last week, cuz that's where he got some fish with our son. But, of course I wanted to go up past the 49er bridge. We did end up there later in the morning, but the wind got really bad so we came in. I have to say it made a HUGE difference being able to use a remote with the new bow mount electric motor. Looking to try again on Sat. We'll have the radio on 69.
Froggie [smiley=cheerleader.gif]

Brettskih
12-07-2007, 06:22 AM
Hey, Maybe the this weather will really help the turn over!!I'll be there Sat.with my buddy Jess.I'll turn on channel 69 to hear all the lies that Super Dave was talking about.It should be fun!

The_Fishing_One
12-07-2007, 10:34 AM
is this rain enough to muddy up the lake? if so will it affect the bite?

thinking of heading there tomorrow to if i don't go striper/sturgeon hunting in the delta!

kokemachine83
12-07-2007, 04:26 PM
I think the lake has turned over!!!! You just have to move around to find active fish. There in the top 20'.

I was wondering the same thing about the Rain. Hope it hasn't dirtyed up the water to bad. Was a great bite last weekend. Hope to see some fishsniffer's up there tomorrow. Good luck to all. I will be up above the Parrots Ferry Bridge again. Hope it's a good bite!!!

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

Grizz
12-07-2007, 04:33 PM
What is the surface temp?

Seon
12-07-2007, 04:33 PM
... *Hope to see some fishsniffer's up there tomorrow... *Hope it's a good bite!!!

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

I'm not familiar with the lake and was thinking of going up tomorrow but have never been on Melones. *Good luck to all...knock them dead.

Martinez Frank
12-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Just talked to Mickey and Dave, they said they caught 11 trout 1 koke and 1 bass they were up the arm, Dennis and GVF were there where is the report guys? :D Come on don't keep it a secret ;D Sounds like it has picked up, I will be there in the morning, anyone else?

Brettskih
12-07-2007, 07:13 PM
I'll be there in the morn. Frank. Brett By the way there is a report on the board from Dennis. You probably read it.

kokemachine83
12-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Grizz, Last weekend the surface temp. was 58.2 in the morning and 58.8 when we left around 1:30. Good luck tomorrow. Hope to see everyone there!!

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

Grizz
12-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks, KM. Doesn't sound like it has turned over yet.

kokemachine83
12-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Grizz, About what temp does it take to turn? Just asking!!!

Grizz
12-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Iím not an expert on that, but the temp has been in the low 60 for some time. If it were in the mid to low 50ís, I would say it is on its way.