PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lake 12/5 (cont. from duramax)

firecap
12-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Just a little addendum to duramax's report to let you know that if it weren't for GPS, I , for one, would have joined "Gilligan" when I tried to head to the Youth Camp later in the morning. Just plain fog would have been an understatement! It was pretty soupy when I first ventured out.
I fished the SW area and landed one about 3 1/2, released a smaller one. Down there I was on a red/gold speedy shiner 1/16oz. zooming along @2.2 mph. Had the rigger at 12' and water depth didn't seem to matter.

A little later, thanks to a tip from Duramax, I headed to the Youth Camp literally following the line on my GPS. Suddenly, just like in the "Incredible Shrinking Man" movie (you gotta be a baby boomer to remember that one), I was out of the mist into the sunshine!
I put on a Sep's 3" merthiolate grub, with a wiggle disk, and nailed my first 5 lb.'er! Rigger @ 12': water depth to 25': @ 1.9 mph: water temp was 42.5.
Probably my last trip and can't think of a better way to finish it off!
THANKS to this forum for all the info you guys share, it definitely helped this beginner have some great days.

Topaz_Tom
12-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Congrats on the 5 pounder. Great Report!! I know the feeling you described on the fog, that happened to us a couple of years ago at Eagle. Thank Goodness for GPS. Like you said we had to follow our trails on the map, even though it didn't feel like we were going the right way, then hope a boat didn't ram us.

MGS
12-06-2007, 11:02 PM
The old gps has saved my butt more than once. I was at EL last sat/sun. Sat was socked in pretty well at Spaulding ramp. Temp was 5 degrees lots of ice too. We were headed to youth camp, but if it were not for the gps who knows where we would have ended up. Luckily we popped out of the fog just before the youth camp. then fish on!Dont know how I survived so many similar situations over the years before I wised up. Ended up with four 3.5 lbers, losing 1 at the boat. Half limits for us that day. surface temps 34 degrees. Orange grubs. Lots of luck Matty

jrj
12-07-2007, 07:19 AM
Fished Eagle the first week of November. The third day was heavy fog with a visibility of about 5 ft. One of the boats in our group did not have a GPS unit and ended up stuck on the rocks by Pelican Point. A GPS is a must have item in the fog on any body of water.

duramax
12-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Hey Firecap next Tuesday is looking real good for one last trip what do you think??? There is more of those 5er's up there//