PDA

View Full Version : Medecine Lake Info

fish_feeder32
12-05-2007, 06:40 PM
I was wondering if any fellow sniffers have fished this lake? If so can you give me some Info on camping and fishing for trout in this lake? Also if If someone can give me directions to the lake from mcloud?

Mikespyke
12-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Hey ff32 -

The turnoff is about 10 miles east of McCloud on HWY 89. *The turnoff is well marked, I think it's called Harris Spring RD. *Stay right at first fork, stay left at second fork, should be Medicine Lake Rd. *Paved most of the way, well graded in dirt part when we drove in after Labor Day.

We shore fished near the boat ramp and limited out on rainbows and brook trout 12"-14" using nightcrawlers. *I also saw guys in float tubes catching fish in the same location.

Campgrounds looked okay, some had more shade trees than the others - we saw three campgrounds total. *I don't know if you plan on going now or in the spring, but I'd advise against going now. *I hope this helps.

Happy trails, Mike

fish_feeder32
12-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Mikes pyke Thank you for the info. I will be going around spring time. I am not trying to freeze my buns off. I just wanted to get some info so I can start to plan my trip well in advance. I have been putting money aside for a week long trip and wanted to go somewere new and far from were I live. Fish_Feeder32 ;)

bub1931
12-06-2007, 10:49 AM
We go up to the Burney area every year the first part of May, and always wanted to try that lake.

Does anyone know if there there are restriction for boats. We always bring a boat and motor and fish either Big lake, or McCloud Res.

Are the roads going up to the lake ok to drive in May, or would there still be snow on the ground,

billfisher
12-06-2007, 11:16 AM
I was at Medicine Lake in early June of this year. If you are planning a spring trip to need to keep careful track of the weather/road conditions. If we get any decent snow this winter (I hope, I hope) then the roads to Medicine Lake may not open until late June or early July.

I did not camp there, but we looked at the campgrounds and they were nice. The sites were generaly small (parking area wise) but some were large enough for camper rigs and trailers at some of the campgrounds. There may be hookups somewhere, but I don't think so. No problems tent camping.

The fishing was great. The water is extremely clear and was full of brookies and rainbows. We could see them in the water as we passed over. Nothing really big (I don't think the growth rate in Medicine is very high) but nice fish from 10 to 16 inches. If we had been just fishing for limits we would have been done in an hour or so, but instead C&Red 15 to 20 each in a few hours of fishing (kept just enough for dinner). Most everything we fished with worked including trolling flies, and small versions of flatfish, Z-Rays, and various spinners. The bank fishermen swore by 1/2 of a night crawler and they caught fish as fast as we did.

I hope you make it up there, but try to be a bit flexible as to the timing. It is a high altitude lake to drive into and you might find yourself closed out early in the year. :-[

billfisher
12-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Bub:

See my prior post re: the roads. May is not a high probability time to get to Medicine unless we have another really dry year.

I do not know whether or not there are some boating restrictions, but gas power was O.K. All the boats I saw had gas engines. I used gas for moving around and electric for trolling.

The lake has a nice boat launch and rig/trailer parking area.

fishguts
12-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Shhhh, Its a secret so don't pass this on....

We've been up there a lot. The campgrounds are nice and there are some double sites. We try to get one by the water then I wake up in the morning and toss a fly line and return with some nice bows for breakfast.
I've had my 14ft gregor up there and launching, beaching is not a problem. There is other stuff to do also, we would go poke around the volcano tubes and there are some on the way in where there is ice in them and some old snakes frozen under the ice. Pretty cool. Make sure you have a flash light.
Across from the camp ground is a trail you can take a short hike and check out the mountain of obsidian rocks, pretty neat. You can also take the graded road out the back past the ranger station out to volcanic national monument and go caving, the kids love it and its' safe.
Head back into McCloud for the afternoon and have an ice cream sundae at the ice cream shop and poke around the stores. The museum is my favorite place. On the way back from McCloud there is a turn off on the right off the main road for a loop drive to hike to the falls. Thats fun too and not strenuous.
Best time to go is early in the week for a good camping spot. But don't tell anyone, its a secret. The deeper water is across the lake by the cabins. The water is very clear so be aware of that.
I've trolled the lake but have done better casting small spinners, flies or a night crawler early in the morning or in the evening when the fish are cruising around looking for food. Shhh, don't tell anyone.