PDA

View Full Version : New Melones Turn Over?

sollimes
11-27-2007, 12:42 PM
After a good success last year *banking at Melones, just wondering if the lake has turn yet.
Might be out there this weekend if not will be at Lyons.

Thanks

Thai

sloteke234
11-27-2007, 01:47 PM
From what I've read, the lake has not turned over yet. Friends reporting slow action. Haven't been up yet this year.

dude
11-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Spent a couple of hours banking it at Tuttletown this morning to no avail. I'll keep trying and let everyone know when it turns on.
Dude

SuperDave
11-27-2007, 02:22 PM
We got campsites reserved for 2 weeks from now so hurry up already. ;D

Ironhead
11-27-2007, 03:26 PM
It was slow for me up there last Friday, but I fished up river. Some people are picking a few up in the main body, but nothing consistent yet. The lake has not turned over but with the cold nights forecasted it won't be long now.

Dave, I think your timing will be perfect.

Ironhead

Athlete24
11-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Spent a couple of hours banking it at Tuttletown this morning to no avail. *I'll keep trying and let everyone know when it turns on.
Dude

If I remember right, last year when it turned over the bank fishing was on fire for lots of big trout. Keep trying, it should pay off. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

sollimes
11-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Couple of trout I caught last year

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/DSCN0483.JPG

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/DSCN0485.JPG

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/DSCN0495.JPG

Captain Compassion
11-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Couple of trout I caught last year

Them are some fat trout. The one in the middle of the second picture could be a bluegill.

CC

Athlete24
11-27-2007, 04:21 PM
It looks like I did remember correctly, those are some nice fat fish. Look at the size of their heads!!! :o I wish I could get up there soon, looks like I won't be able to hit any water until Christmas Break. :(

Slim
11-27-2007, 05:41 PM
After a good success last year *banking at Melones, just wondering if the lake has turn yet.
Might be out there this weekend if not will be at Lyons.

Thanks

Thai

I think they closed Lyons... At lease the gate was closed the other day when I drove pass. You can ride a bike in off of Confidence Rd... about 35 min ride into there.

Slim

HOOF
11-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Ya,seems like the gate to Lyons always closes,opens coinciding with wood season-I gues when usfs closes one they close all the forest gates.

Farrier_Frank
11-27-2007, 06:36 PM
The one in the middle of the second picture could be a bluegill

[smiley=suesscat.gif]

Seon
11-27-2007, 06:41 PM
... I gues when usfs closes one they close all

Are the ramps under USFS control? What are their fees to launch?

HOOF
11-27-2007, 07:07 PM
I was refering to the forest gates-like the one that goes to lyons..The usfs has nothing to do with melones ramps.

hunkfisher
11-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Thai those are some good looking fish i might have to hit up melones when i get home for christmas break. Hopefully it turns over in three weks.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

sollimes
11-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Slim thanks for the info on Lyons, I guess we will be trying Melones this Saturday. Will let you guys know how we do.

Thai

Sin_Coast
11-27-2007, 07:38 PM
I'll be up there next wknd for a Kayak Fishing Trout Tourney. I HOPE it turns over by then!!!! That would be suhweeet!
Thanks for the info guys!

BigRichClovis
11-27-2007, 07:51 PM
I hope the trolling is better this year than last. I will be heading up there in December.

Slim
11-27-2007, 08:27 PM
... I gues when usfs closes one they close all

Are the ramps under USFS control? *What are their fees to launch?

Melones ramps & parking are free...

Slim

Seon
11-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Hey Slim, thanks for the info. *Once I get my boat squared away, I'll head out to Melones and try trolling. *I've pm'd and asked a couple of sniffers that have fished Melones where the best area(s) to fish. *They've each replied so I have a couple of leads. *I'll use Sep's dodgers and flashers with a hook trailer with a crawler. *Hopefully the fish will be on top. *But if not, I'll use the recently acquired Cannon downriggers *8-).
I'll take my bride of 42 years with me that'll be knitting while I search for the big ones *;).

_Gone_Fishin_
11-30-2007, 09:43 AM
If anyone fishes here on Fri 11/30 or Sat. 12/1.....please report and let us know if the lake has turned over....thiking I may head up there Sunday 12/2 if the bit is ON! ;)

SuperDave
11-30-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm pulling on my memory but I recall Doc posting that once a lake turns over, there is a few day period required for bait and insects to re-establish normal activity and active feeding by the fish. Since Doc has retired, he doesn't follow me around contradicting me anymore. So, I don't know if I'm recalling this correctly.

Mickey_Thomas
11-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Since you're looking for a contradiction Dave, I believe what Doc said is a low elevation lake like New Melones doesn't really "turn over" The top water bite turns on because the temp on top is where the fish want to be ;) You're great at searching old post, find the one on "Lake turning over" ;) We all know it has to do with temperature but the low temps needed for a actual turnover is a lot lower than what New Melones gets. I could be wrong though :-?

SuperDave
11-30-2007, 11:16 AM
The top water bite turns on because the temp on top is where the fish want to be ;)

Gee Mick, I think that is the definition of lake turn over. We all understand that the water doesn't actually "turn over".

Martinez Frank
11-30-2007, 11:40 AM
The top water bite turns on because the temp on top is where the fish want to be ;)

Gee Mick, I think that is the definition of lake turn over. *We all understand that the water doesn't actually "turn over". *

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D This is good

JD
11-30-2007, 12:20 PM
What! You mean all these years that I have been sitting in the middle of lakes waiting to see boiling and bubbles at turnover isn't going to happen.

Mickey_Thomas
11-30-2007, 07:28 PM
Look it up Dave, lakes do "turn over" ::) The water on the bottom comes to the top, and the top water goes to the bottom, hence the term "turn over". Doc knows the temp ranges where this takes place, I'm just a lyman fisherman who listens when Doc talks ;)

jiggity49
11-30-2007, 08:23 PM
I fished melones for the first time last year in late Dec. caught a limit from shore in about 2 1/2 hrs. and the smallest fish was 21" Yeah I think I'll be heading back out there this year ;)

tortuga
11-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Thaifisher
We were out last Sat and it was still pretty slow. With these colder nights up here lately it ought to kick off pretty soon. We'll probably go out again this Sunday. I'll post good or bad.
Tortuga

Tigerfox
11-30-2007, 09:31 PM
I was up there last saturday. The lake is pretty low. I had to walk 100 yards from last years spot. It changes the whole way you have to fish the lake from the bank.

To answer your question, no the lake hasn't turned over yet. And it's still slow. The water temp was about 63. Still a little to high. A few more of these cold nights and days it's gonna hit hard.

But I did get a 3# at 10:00 am right before I left. It almost got away because I had my eyes closed.

_Gone_Fishin_
12-01-2007, 08:53 AM
But I did get a 3# at 10:00 am right before I left. It almost got away because I had my eyes closed.

Good thing you opened your eyes *[smiley=boring.gif] Tigerfox! * *[smiley=yikes.gif]

froggie
12-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Pretty cold last nite, hoping the chill will expedite the "Turn", We'll be going out tomorrow morning for a try for some trout. Tortuga spent today putting the new Minn Kota electric trolling motor with CoPilot on our Valco. Can't wait to try it. Reviewing Picasa photos today & noticed our big trout pics from last winter. Can't wait to try the new boat this year. We'll certainly post any info we can share.
Froggie [smiley=cheerleader.gif]

Mickey_Thomas
12-02-2007, 04:06 PM
I still say it's to warm for a actual "turn over" :)

steveo79
12-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Here.....read this. Not Doc's, but it is here in the trout FAQ's

http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/elements/turnlakes.htm

I think, besides our current cold spell, and a little wind, rainfall runoff must assist this as well. Hope January is a wet month; no rain in November, we'll see about December.

Mickey_Thomas
12-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Good read steveo, most of our low land lakes don't ever reach 50 degrees, that's why I said that they don't really get a full turnover.
Though the epilimnion lake waters cool slowly, their eventual drop in temperature makes them denser than the waters below. When these waters reach about 10oC (50oF), they sink into the thermocline waters below, erasing the temperature stratification that had built during summer.
I think New Melones is about 58 degrees, hence no turnover yet ;)

Grizz
12-02-2007, 07:51 PM
I talked to one of the Glory Hole employees today on the phone and he said that it has not turned over yet.

drstressor
12-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Mickey is right (I hate to say that). Dave is wrong (I love to say that). ;)

The referenced article is confusing. A lake will turn over when the surface water cools to a temperature below that of the coldest deep water. In shallow lakes, that might be 50 degrees. But in deep reservoirs, the water at the bottom of the lake is 39 degrees all summer long. So these lakes (like Melones) will not turn over unless the surface temperature falls below 39 degrees. That never happens at Melones. So the lake never truly turns over with the resulting upwelling of nutrients that is typical of northern lakes.

The only lakes in California that actually turn over are the ones at high elevation that freeze. What you guys are waiting for is 54 degrees. That's the preferred temperature for most trout. At or near that temperature, they move up from the depths and move close to sure and start to feed near the surface.

Martinez Frank
12-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Mickey is right * Dave is wrong

Thanks Doc, now we will never hear the end of this one ::) ::)

Dave, I feel for you, 3 days coming up listening to him reminding you who was right ;D

Mickey_Thomas
12-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Mickey is right (I hate to say that). *Dave is wrong (I love to say that). ;)

The referenced article is confusing. *A lake will turn over when the surface water cools to a temperature below that of the coldest deep water. *In shallow lakes, that might be 50 degrees. *But in deep reservoirs, the water at the bottom of the lake is 39 degrees all summer long. *So these lakes (like Melones) will not turn over unless the surface temperature falls below 39 degrees. *That never happens at Melones. *So the lake never truly turns over with the resulting upwelling of nutrients that is typical of northern lakes.

The only lakes in California that actually turn over are the ones at high elevation that freeze. *What you guys are waiting for is 54 degrees. *That's the preferred temperature for most trout. *At or near that temperature, they move up from the depths and move close to sure and start to feed near the surface. *I can't believe I missed this one ;D ;D ;D Can't wait to rub it in Dave's face and Frank's too ;) Sometimes I do remember what Doc writes, not often though :-/ ;D Read and weep fellas :D

Martinez Frank
12-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Can't wait to rub it in Dave's face and Frank's too

Whatever ::) I can hear it already. [smiley=help.gif] [smiley=old.gif] *first time you have been right in years ;D ;D ;D [smiley=tongue2.gif]

tortuga
12-05-2007, 02:26 PM
So what I am hearing is true!! The water at or near the surface is still too warm for the preferred temperature for trout....guess they aren't hitting yet. Wow I'm glad we figured that out. That explains why I'm coming home empty handed!!!
Tortuga

Ironhead
12-05-2007, 03:46 PM
So what I am hearing is true!! *The water at or near the surface is still too warm for the preferred temperature for trout....guess they aren't hitting yet. *Wow I'm glad we figured that out. *That explains why I'm coming home empty handed!!!
Tortuga

I am right there with you. I just found another good excuse to put in my memory bank.

Mickey_Thomas
12-05-2007, 03:53 PM
No so fast you guys, the top water bite "can" still be good if the water is 54 degrees, but to say it's a turnover is just wrong, for the water to reach 39 degrees to actually turn over we'll need a lot of freezing nights in Angles Camp to make it happen. ;) Lakes like Donner, Stampede, Pyramid and such do get turned over, can you believe it, now I'm a expert ;D ;D ;D J/K, even an old geezer gets one right now and then ;)