PDA

View Full Version : New Hogan

Seon
12-05-2007, 07:57 AM
Not much, if any post on this lake.
I understand that it has a variety of fish...stripers, trout, cats... so why doesn't anyone fish there this time of the year?

_Gone_Fishin_
12-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Not much, if any post on this lake.
I understand that it has a variety of fish...stripers, trout, cats... so why doesn't anyone fish there this time of the year?

I don't think that there are trout in New Hogan.....the stripers ate them ;D

fish_feeder32
12-05-2007, 09:32 AM
I know for a fact that there is still a few trout in hogan. One time when trolling for striper with a yozuri minnow I caught a 4 pound rainbow on accident. And another time trolling a kwikfish I caught a 6.5 pound brown. Both times I was trolling for striper. They were both caught in the back of the lake by the calaveras river arm in the spring time. I would not waste my time trying to catch trout out of this lake though because the striper have ate most of the trout. And it is rare to catch them in the lake. But I have caught them in the calaveras river up above the lake all the time in the spring. I think that some of these trout come down into the lake in the winter and spring to get out of the super fast and super muddy water. But the striper are waiting for them and kill most of them. When I was about 12 years old and did not know the rules and regs we would catch small trout out of the river and use them for bait for stripers in hogan. We would catch tons of huge striper this way. But now as an adult I know that is wrong and do not do it any more. And have not found a better bait since. But blue gill runs a close second. Fish_Feeder