PDA

View Full Version : Thermalito Afterbay Saturday morning

cgagex3
11-30-2007, 05:05 PM
OK,
Heading up for a first try at the afterbay in the morning. Plan on meeting the water at first sun. If my current super duper weather forcasts hold true the wind will gradualy pick up blowing south and reaching up to about 8 mph. I would imagine that my best bet on pontoon (or bank for that matter) will be on the south side of 162 between the bridge and the boat ramp to stay out of the wind.
I plan on four possible set ups.

Black or green wooly buggers on clear bobber (6 ft lead).
White power eggs on #6 hook (no barbs).
A wide assortment of bright & flashy lures.
Maybe a nice white grub low and slow.

Any help from you area regulars let me know. If I leave the house at 5:30 I should be in the water by 7:15am. Look around for me in the bright yellow pontoon.

CG

Captain Compassion
11-30-2007, 05:57 PM
OK,
Heading up for a first try at the afterbay in the morning. Plan on meeting the water at first sun.

Can't help you CG but I can wish you good luck.

CC

cgagex3
11-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Well thank you as always Capt. I will be sure to report back on my findings. Hope to post several pics of my scouting report. Need to take all the toys for the first trip to figure this place out.
I came this close to another trip up the hill (same 92 miles but a little more flat) to visit but even at 40+ I am not ready for ice fishing yet. [smiley=cold.gif]
I hope to fight it out with a few of those afterbay steelies [smiley=fencing.gif] (I know they really aren't since they never left the lake).
I was going Sunday till I read my weather report calling for 25 mph winds. Sounds like our trip to ICR. :)

CG

Trout Tracker
11-30-2007, 07:49 PM
As much as i would like to say i will see you Saturday morning and make the trip myself,i dare not.
I have fished the afterbay 2 Saturdays in a row and need to get some things done around the house to keep the wife happy.
The three times i've fished the afterbay i have trolled with a silver and gold dodger useing crawlers and have caught fish each time.
Good luck and enjoy.
Bob

Jigster
11-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Good luck. Don't forget to post some pics!

J

garrett_s
12-01-2007, 07:30 AM
i wish i has seen this earlier. you are probably fishing right now but
my buddy went out their and caught 4 trout on nightcrawlers soaked in pro-cure trophy trout scent of the bottom

cgagex3
12-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks TT, Jigster & Guppy & Yes I was fishing by then. OK well the trip was worth it for sure. First went by and looked at the southern boat ramp area then went over to Wilbur Rd ramp, decided to put in there toon hit the water at 7:20am. Chilly this morning. *[smiley=cold.gif]
Kicked out to the middle and tied a line to the bouy line and let the current drift me about 15ft away. Middle read at 25 ft depth and 51 degree temp and I was seeing the occasional fish marked at the bottom and about 15 ft. Played with some lures, gold & then silver /blue KM, broke back rapala in shad & minnow, no action. Set up the second rod with #6 hook and 3 white power eggs, dropped it to the bottom and kept playing with lures. *[smiley=angling.gif]
Five or ten minutes later and I see the rod tip bouncing a little, picked it up and bam!!! fish on. This one pulls my rod tip under water and takes off. 5ft ultra light rod with 4# test, it took me 13 minutes to bring this beast in.
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/6016/pic002nh6.jpg
Came in at 5 1/2 # and she was fat. I ended up staying till 10:30, C&R two more but kept the first one to take home. Cut into filets for dinner tonight, beautiful meat looks like a salmon filet.
Just that first fish made the trip worth the drive, every time I got her within about 15ft she would pull my tip back under and just rip out line and make me start over. That was the longest fight I've had since salmon fishing the American last year. About 10 minutes in I was thinking for sure that she would snap my line off.
Thanks to all the earlier tips about making sure that I borught the white eggs. *;D

Stcroix
12-01-2007, 05:56 PM
I have found that bait will outfish lures any day on trout. Beautiful fish. Congrats!

garrett_s
12-01-2007, 05:57 PM
i am happy you hooked up

campngolf
12-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Awesome report CG. Nothing like a good fightin' fish to get the adrenaline flowin'.

metalmouth
12-01-2007, 06:37 PM
cgagex3,
That was a great report! Congrats on getting the nice fish!

MM

Captain Compassion
12-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Came in at 5 1/2 # and she was fat. I ended up staying till 10:30, C&R two more but kept the first one to take home. Cut into filets for dinner tonight, beautiful meat looks like a salmon filet.

Way to go CG!! Beautiful fish.

CC

chicofishrmen
12-01-2007, 08:11 PM
cgagex3,

Great looking fish, I'm glad you got into them! I resized the pic for you!
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7618/cagex450x338uk7.jpg
Uh, you do know they now make camera's with more than 1 megapixel, right? http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif j/k, I'm just jealous, I've been out there 2-3 times a week for the last few weeks, and haven't caught any that big. Way to go and thanks for the report!

troutfan
12-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Damn I just have to say it one more time! Those are the prettiest rainbows I've seen! 8-)

partner
12-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Wow, very nice...We live in oroville. *I must find some time to try the afterbay. *Cgagex3 * very well done... good write up and pics.

partner

Jigster
12-01-2007, 09:23 PM
5ft ultra light rod with 4# test

Cgagex3, wow, that must have been some fun fighting this beast on ultra light gear! Great job. Gotta love the white powereggs. :)

j

Manteca Steve
12-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Hey cgagex3
Nice report what a fatty,congrats on that beauty. :o

cgagex3
12-02-2007, 07:45 AM
Thank you all, and yes Chico I know about the camera thing but I only take the cheapie out with me on the water. My wife would kill me if I got the camera I bought for her wet.
Here is another pick from shore.
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9752/pic004le2.jpg
An earlier post about the tail to body ratio was true. They have so much more power than the little round tail planters that we normally get.
When she would take off my rod would bend in half and the top foot would go under water.
I will have to plan another trip up there soon.

CG

untalan1
12-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Congrats on the beauty of a fish!Have to make it there soon.

Trout Tracker
12-02-2007, 08:39 AM
CG.
Great looking fish,a real beauty.
I know that the fight they give you is just awsome and useing ultra lite gear i bet it is even better.All the fish i have caugh at the Afterbay have been trolling with my lead core set up and i get a heck of a fight on it.
I am taking Thursday off and will be at the afterbay early i hope.
Bob.

cgagex3
12-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Thanks Capt, and to everyone else. Hey trout tracker, if you have an hour to spare go to the middle of the bouy line at wilbur road. I tied my anchor line to the orange bouy cable with about 15ft of line and just held there. Drop a line with a #6 hook and three white power eggs on a three foot lead off of your weight. Play with your other pole if you have a two rod stamp and keep an eye on the first rod.
It was a blast on an ultrlight. Wish I could join you on Thursday. Maybe in a few weeks.

CG

Mikespyke
12-03-2007, 09:05 AM
cgagex3-

Nice fish! *Anchoring up was probably the way to go on Saturday. *I can't stand sitting still and trolled until about noon. *I went 2 for 2 and had a third takedown that didn't stick all by 8:30am. *After that, the wind had it's way with me and the few other folks that I saw trolling. *They sure are fun on light tackle!!!

Happy trails, Mike

TeleComCal
12-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Way to go CG. I am Rainbow with envy.... ;D.... Hope to see you and others out there soon.