PDA

View Full Version : UVR 12-2

negative_ghost
12-02-2007, 07:25 PM
my buddy and I fished off the boat ramp today at UVR. i dont know which ramp it is, its concrete and the first one you come to.( sunset? we arrived around 9:30 and left with 10 fish at around 3:30 so it was a good day. looks like our tally was 8 rainbows 1 mac and 1 koke.we were using large nightcrawlers and chartruese or white power bait.sometimes alone, sometimes both but always *with trout gravy. i dont know if the stuff works but i use it anyway. probably just another marketing gimmick but oh wellz... sorry about the crappy photos..my girl ran my batteries out on my camera so phone it must be

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w48/nikedyer/1202071829a.jpg

mtnlks
12-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Good job. the bigone must be the mac. Looks like a great day on the lake.

Mickey_Thomas
12-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Welcome to the boards wyteboink, good first report, and a pic' too, we like pic's ;) You might have to resize it though so it fits the page.

Mr._Striper
12-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the report...

Captain Compassion
12-02-2007, 07:45 PM
my buddy and I fished off the boat ramp today at UVR. i dont know which ramp it is, its concrete and the first one you come to.( sunset?

Sunset it is. Is the dock still floaing? Thanks for the pics and welcome.

CC

DuramaxDan
12-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Captain the dock is at the top of the ramp locked up until next year.

Captain Compassion
12-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Captain the dock is at the top of the ramp locked up until next year.

Thanks for the info.

CC

Old_School
12-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Thanx for the report and wecome!

negative_ghost
12-02-2007, 10:11 PM
heres a smaller photo. not big fish but it was enough to feed my roomates :)

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w48/nikedyer/smallerphoto.jpg

negative_ghost
12-02-2007, 10:16 PM
oh and my buddy hooked onto a fairly decent fish, bent my 8 1/2 ft river trout rod nearly double. he had the drag adjusted too tight though, and apparently 4 lb fluoro carbon does not like striper hooksets . who would have guessed.... hahaha oh well, we still ended up with more than enough fish. does anyone on here use a small hook with a yellowish power worm? and recently lose a fish? I caught onto your swivel to catch one of the rainbows. Thanks!!

JMat
12-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Hey wyteboinik,
Welcome to the boards! That must have been you at the ramp when my buddy and I pulled my little aluminum boat out around 2pm, you guys did pretty good in the few minutes we were there. That wind was something fierce though. My friend and I caught about 14 fish and kept 6, fishing has been great the last month. Congrats on a great day "catching".
JMat

smellslikefish
12-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Outstanding results for all of you, great work! My son-in-law and I were in his green 14' Starcraft and I think I saw all of you on the lake. It was the first time for us on UVR and we launched at the dam low water ramp. Our results weren't nearly as productive as you guys. A lot of short strikes (lead core/with worm) and only one small rainbow landed and we released it. What's the hot trolling set up for UVR. I've never caught a Mac but I'll keep trying. UVR is a gorgeous lake and we will fish it again. Even though the wind was pretty harsh, the lake doesn't get nasty like at Almanor or Whiskeytown. Appreciate any tips. Thanks. Mike

dave_in_el_dorado
12-03-2007, 11:35 AM
that is a good report. *i found this forum doing a little research before going to UVR last thursday....lurked a couple days, and couldnt hold back signing up to post here. *

so my brother and i were up there for the first time ever w/ a boat (on 11/29) and put in on the ramp by dam (i think its called westpoint). *there's a submerged i-beam you need to be careful of over there on the shore side of ramp.

there was only one other boat the whole day that we knew of. *was really cool to be just about only ones on lake. *incredible views, great place to wet a line. *we trolled all day taking only two RT (hey at least we werent skunked....sorry no pics)

smellslikefish, cant answer yer question but can tell you we trolled rapalas, grubs, and dodgers w/ worm trailers and also experienced quite a few short strikes only landing the two fish in the mid-afternoon along one of the northern shore points. *we marked quite a few fish, and put our stuff on them, but they didnt want to play w/ us. *we basically explored the whole lake fishing depths from 40 to topline (i.e. we trolled across alot of unproductive water). we did mark quite a few fish in the south arm of lake by the peninsula ramp (maybe by ramp where wyteboinik fished?) but no hook ups.

the only other guys we saw up there we talked to late in the afternoon, they had luck by the dam trolling orange/silver needlefish catching (i think they said) about 8 fish, all RT.

smellslikefish
12-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Dave, Thanks for the feedback. Next time I'll try a sling blade in front of the worm, was fishing them naked. I tried all sorts of needlefish, Xcel's, grubs but they just weren't interested in the lures. I'm not giving up though, I know I'll find the right combo eventually. Thanks again and take care. Mike

dave_in_el_dorado
12-03-2007, 01:33 PM
yer welcome. guess i didnt say on what we caught the couple fish. i noticed you guys (on this forum) can get pretty detailed and help each other out....seem like a great group and glad to be here BTW.

that said...

we had short strikes on a pearl grub run at about 15 feet (lead core with 50 ft leader), and several variety of smaller rapalas both toplined, and in downrigger. i tried some larger ones too, but nothing there.

of the fish caught, one took a small (seps style) green grub, toplined about 140 feet back of boat....no weights, just a hooked grub on about 6 feet of 6# leader tied to main line.

the other took (what for me was) a new creation. my brother had all sorts of "trolling" stuff he'd never used. i saw some small silver micro flashers....i think they were seps, brand new out of the package. they looked real good. then he asked me what to put on the end.....i looked in his tackle box and saw a new package of two woolly bugger flies......i had him put on a 2 foot leader and tie a woolly bugger to the end.......it caught a fish......you just never know :o

smellslikefish
12-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Very creative, like you say, ya just never know. Thanks again. Mike

camotracker
12-03-2007, 04:08 PM
sweet. thanks for the pictures and the report. not bad of a day

negative_ghost
12-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Hey wyteboinik,
Welcome to the boards! *That must have been you at the ramp when my buddy and I pulled my little aluminum boat out around 2pm, you guys did pretty good in the few minutes we were there. That wind was something fierce though. *My friend and I caught about 14 fish and kept 6, fishing has been great the last month. *Congrats on a great day "catching".
JMat

yup that was us JMat. that wind was pretty fierce! luckily the low traffic on the lake made it so I was able to positition my vehicle in a way that made it possible to escape from the wind to get our blood circulating. my grandfather is bringing his boat back from Wyoming soon so hopefully the snow stays off the ground long enough to get the boat out for some fun light tackle trolling. hopefully i'll be able to get california residency soon so my fishing license is a little more afordable. keep up the catching!

Treebeard
12-03-2007, 10:05 PM
got to add my 2cents here, since I was at UVR on Saturday...

Bank fishing, as always; started in the early afternoon at the mouth of Big Silver Creek - I believe that's north of Sunset ramp.
The creek is now cutting its way through some of the bottom silt in the former finger of the lake.
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/1972/fs00021rh4.jpg

Caught 2 nice rainbows in the narrow lake channel still there; only 13-14" long but FAT, about a lb each except the first one, 10". It's relatively shallow, but all were caught within 15' of shore. A real pain landing them because the shore is such soft muck that I couldn't get within 3 feet of the water... so they got dragged through the mud a bit.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/9805/fs00031to4.jpg
Rosie helped make sure they didn't get away ::) , pouncing on one that flopped too much for her liking. Here's "her" fish:
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3798/fs00011cy0.jpg

Then at about 4pm went over and hiked to the mouth of Jones Fork (south of Sunset). Same deal there, the creek cutting a channel, but a rockier bottom exposed, and it appeared that the remaining lake finger is deeper than the other.
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/4691/fs00012jc5.jpg
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/711/fs00041hv9.jpg

and... Jones Fork was much colder! I was able to get right up to the water's edge in a couple of places because the bank muck was still frozen. The dropoff at Jones was very steep - I only had to throw about 8 feet out - and the fish there hit as soon as the worm drifted down to their depth.

Just before dark, as I was disentangling a line I heard Rosie rattling around on the ice upstream - she likes to break it up and play with it (which scares the !@#$ out of me when she's near deeper water). Then I heard a more general clatter, wondered what in the world Rose is up to (she can and does play with 'sticks' up to 8" by 12ft)... and then... the lake in front of me starts flowing! I was wondering what kind of ice-dam or flotsam-jam Rosie had broken up, then remembered - there's a power generating station just up the canyon. It had let out a bunch of water, temporarily making my lake finger into a stream. Good way to learn that lesson :o - don't be complacent at low-water below a power station!

Ended up with two nice fat rainbows from there, one pushing 16"; the latter was the cause of my un-tangling session, because I actually hooked him twice at the same time - he had both my lines/hooks. That rounded out the day... then Rosie guided me through the dark woods back to the truck. :)

[smiley=old.gif]
TB

LD
12-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Dave,
I have always done well for bows at UVR with a watermelon sidekick, and a half a crawler. I prefer short leaders, 10-12".
4/0 dodgers work well too, I prefer the sidekick though.
Good Luck,
lite drag

dave_in_el_dorado
12-04-2007, 11:53 AM
thanks lite drag....i had one in box, looked at it, but never put it on that day....will try the next time i'm up there (hopefully before x-mas).

loved yer story treebeard....great looking dog too.