PDA

View Full Version : Need Lake Mcswain Info please

bub1931
12-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Maybe going to hit this lake up for the very first time on the 10th. Have read reports from other source, but thought I would post up here as well.

Have boat, 2 downriggers, trolling Plate, and trout rods.

Any advise would be helpfull.

What setup is working. Whats working Trolling or bait fishing, or both.

Is this lake low at all, Am I going to have to worry about a low boat launch. I have seen pics of Amador, at that place is starting to look like am empty hole in the ground.

Any decent hotels near by, will be driving from vallejo and San Jose, and that might be a little far for a one day trip. But Im cheap and may have to suck it up and just do the drive.

fishnmike2002
12-03-2007, 07:43 AM
Hey Bub,

Go back and look on here a few weeks back, there have been a couple of us that have been up there fishing.

Trolling has been good with most fish on top. Grubs or flashers and worms are best but a lot of fish on everything else too (needlefish, Rapalas, spinners.) Fish are in the top 10 feet. Water level is in good shape.

FishnMike

FresnoJack
12-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Bub,

There have been several threads about McSwain over the past few weeks.
Here is the URL reference to one of them

http://tinyurl.com/275znu

The Board has a search feature that can help you find other threads.

The Fresno Bee publishes a fishing report each Wednesday that covers McSwain and other locations.

http://www.fresnobee.com/372/index.html

There many motels in Merced which is just off 99 and about a 20 minute drive to McSwain.

No problems launching a boat.

HillBillyFish
12-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Maybe going to hit this lake up for the very first time on the 10th. Have read reports from other source, but thought I would post up here as well.

Have boat, 2 downriggers, trolling Plate, and trout rods.

Any advise would be helpfull.

What setup is working. Whats working Trolling or bait fishing, or both.

Is this lake low at all, Am I going to have to worry about a low boat launch. I have seen pics of Amador, at that place is starting to look like am empty hole in the ground.

Any decent hotels near by, will be driving from vallejo and San Jose, and that might be a little far for a one day trip. But Im cheap and may have to suck it up and just do the drive.

Hey 1ST time user here, Mcswain is one of my favorite lakes, I use nightcrawlers and salmon eggs and kill them by the campgrounds off of hiway 49....good luck....

bub1931
12-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the input.

Think we may just head there Monday. Stop in Modesto or Turlock and get a Motel for 1 night. Fish the lake Monday afternoon and early eve. Then fish Tues morning. Its like a 2.5 hr drive from Vallejo, and San Jose. To far for a 1 day trip, and I don't feel like camping this time of year.

I Will make sure bring camera for photos. Hopefully some kind of huge fish will be in the photo as well.

May hit Dell Valle on Wed the 12th as well. Took 3 days off for my B-Day (9th). Fishing with my father. Should be a blast.

Will post reports

POLEHOLDER
12-04-2007, 01:27 AM
I have heard fishing has been good lately close to the store. I heard this from 2 different friends that have been out there the past couple of weeks. Good luck, and Happy Birthday. :) *