PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lake

tjmnm
12-01-2007, 01:47 PM
I have a few questions regarding Eagle Lake. I have fished there for years, but have mainly fished from a boat, launching out of Mariners and heading south. I am planning a late season trip this month and will be looking to bank fish. Since the last time I bank fished this lake was from the jetty on the south end of the lake, I'm not sure how to tackle a more late season trip. I know the fish will be more north now because of the weather.

How do you access Youth Camp area by car? I see people bank fishing there each time I troll by. Also, any other good bank spots for a late December trip there?

Thanks in advance!

mtnlks
12-02-2007, 06:47 AM
Tj, I fish from a boat all the time but I was looking at my map and it looks like you can acess the youth camp from the south end of the lake down by gallatin beach. looks like a dirt road might need a p/u. Wish I could be more help.

Howard

billfisher
12-02-2007, 01:04 PM
I have not driven to the Youth Camp myself, but have been told it is a rough go even in summer conditions. Probably not something to try in snow and/or icy conditions. Others probably know more about this, but I would not try it for the first time in December.

Some swear by bank fishing Eagle in December, especially on windy days. They drop a jig a few feet under a bobber and let the wave action bounce it in the water. To try this I would find a likely looking place on the shoreline where the wind was at my back to keep the bobber blowing away from shore. I met a guy in Susanville who told me he only fishes the lake in November and December and only uses this jig/bobber method. It sounded like he was taking pretty minimal advantage of the fishing oportunities, but he swore by it. It also sounds like a good way to freeze your bobbers off, so whatever you do dress for it.

ParadisePontoon
12-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Tjmnm, I hope this answers your question about the Lassen Youth Camp...
http://www.lassencoe.org/YouthCamp/YouthCampRoad.htm

Good luck fishing and let us know (with pics, of course) how you did!

- Paradise Pontoon

mtnlks
12-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Thanks Paradise Pontoon,

just go's to show, you can learn somthing new every day on this site. I did'nt know witch was the better way to go.

Howard

gfishes
12-03-2007, 12:13 AM
I you are staying in the Spaulding area, Rocky Point is a good place to fish....it is a bit of a walk to the point, but you can fish just about anywhere along the shoreline...

BryanBDGS
12-03-2007, 05:25 AM
Don't bet on the north end, once the water temp gets low all those fish pile out of there and head south in search of warmer waters. The north end, lately, has been spending most of its time in the form of ice. The youth camp is a good spot to intercept these fish as they move south. I really can't comment on good shore locations as I spend all of my time in the boat. Eagle has been great lately and the average size of fish has been way up this year. Good luck