PDA

View Full Version : Herring creek res. past Sonora?

JPFX
11-29-2007, 02:59 PM
I was reading an article on Herring creek res. and it seems like a neat spot to try. Its about 3O miles past Sonora and about 8 miles down Herring ck. rd. Anyone ever fished this from shore...I read no motors allowed. Thx

_Gone_Fishin_
11-29-2007, 03:38 PM
I've fished there before...but not recently.

It is a nice little lake...unfortunately there was not even a bite for anyone there when i fished it a while back.

I read on the DFG site that they planted there though. :-/

You have to go on a little hike to get to the lake so i dont think a boat is the way to go...maybe a float tube or pontoon ;)

justme
11-29-2007, 03:40 PM
I have been there quite a few times. I always fish the creek though. The fishing in the lake is pretty tough. I have always caught my limit with spinners and salmon eggs in the creek that feeds the lake.

Ryan_O
11-29-2007, 04:14 PM
I heard fishing can be pretty good down there, my 2nd cousin's husband got a ticket down there from a game warden for using 2 rods w/o a 2 rod stamp a couple years back. Didn't like the guy anyway...

JPFX
11-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Yeah Ryan, the book I was reading was talking about the fishing there can be excellent in the fall, although the water level is really low.

Defender
11-29-2007, 06:38 PM
It's a very shallow lake. *Very beautiful. *I have had trips where we all *limited out. *Have had trips where nobody got a bite. *Last time I was there I felt like I had stepped onto the set for "Deliverance". *Lots of strange looking/acting people just wandering around. Very uncomfortable. They were "permanently' camped in the nearby campground.* We decided we wouldn't go back.

Fish_Bully
11-30-2007, 08:12 AM
That's a pretty accurate description Defender. ;D Those "local" people will catch all the fish right after trout plants too. They cannot afford Pinecrest. ;D

The creek has always been a better choice than the lake (the DFG plants both the lake and the creek).

If you do visit, it's worth viewing the Gargoyles to your left on the way in.

Tight lines,

Flip

JPFX
11-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Gargoyles?

_Gone_Fishin_
11-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Gargoyles?

I've seen that sign on the way in...what is it? :-?

Fish_Bully
11-30-2007, 10:03 AM
The sign you see is for the Trail of the Gargoyles trailhead. On Herring Creek Road, before the reservoir is a turnoff to your left. Take this only about .2 miles (it's not very far) where it terminates in the middle of a 1.5 mile trail. You do not have to hike however to experience the views. You can just simply get out of your car.

BTW, the rock formations don't look much like gargoyles except for the fact that they are hanging off the edge of this abrupt abyss. If you have kids with you, keep a FIRM handhold on them at all times.

Flip

JPFX
11-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Cool thx. I'm going up Saturday just for a few hours. I'll post Sat night how we did.

TNT
11-30-2007, 02:58 PM
I went to Herring Creek Reservoir in the Spring once and thought the fishing was fantastic. Went back in late Summer and the creek was completely dried up.

Fish_Bully
11-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Very spot on experience TNT. The fishing is much better in the springtime. The DFG plants heavily from early spring through mid summer. The creek dries up by fall even in an average rainfall year and I'd bet it is dry now. You can fish the lake all year but the creek is closed from Nov - Apr.

There used to be wild brookies in Willow Creek which also feeds the lake, and with dry creekbeds the lake is where these fish will be. The left turnoff to Gargoyles is about a mile before the lake.

Flip

TNT
12-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Yeah. I built the creek way up to a bud of mine. We got there and it was dry. He's had a hard time trusting me with new spots since.

Slim
12-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Yeah. *I built the creek way up to a bud of mine. *We got there and it was dry. *He's had a hard time trusting me with new spots since.

I was going to say.... with the drought conditions this years, it might be dry now... #2. They might have closed the gate as they did for Lions... Call the forest department in Mi-wuk and ask them if it's open before comming up here.

Slim

johnbfishin
12-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Jennesse (sp) Park is a cool place to fish. You have to walk or ride a bicycle the last mile or so, no smoking, drinking, swearing or fornicating allowed.....some religious group owns it but the fishing can be good.