PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers for trout?

fishing_man
11-26-2007, 05:50 PM
what size and what brand would you recomend to topline for trout without downriggers? what colors? also how long shold your leader be to your nightcrawler? how would you rig the nightcrawler? by itslef and on what size hooks? there is a seps ready to troll set at walmart with lots of dodgers on the line. is that a good option? thanks
F_M

tragedyspring
11-26-2007, 06:14 PM
those are flashers, not dodgers. and yes they would make a good choice depending on where youll be fishing. i normally dont use flashers for toplining lures- but it could work. remember if the fish are on top, those heavy flashers + 200 ft of line out + lure= 10 ft or more deep for your setup. try just your lure first or tip a spinner with bit of worm.

Weez
11-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Sep's Pro (4/0), Vance's, or Luhr Jensen 4/0; All are in the 4-5 inch range- Vance's is slightly larger/heavier and runs a couple of feet deeper on the topline troll. Learn how to use these then try the Sep's Sidekick or Crystal Basin Tackle Wild Thing for a super-ultralight presentation.

Silver/prism, gold, watermelon patterns to start. Troll 1 MPH (Okay, .5 to 1.2 depending on conditions and what the fish want). Try a 6 to 8 pound fluorocarbon leader, with a #6 Gamakatsu baitholder hook for threading nightcrawlers. You may hear that you should make the leader length four times the length of the dodger (16 inch leader for a four inch dodger), but I've done better with a longer leader, at least 16 to 20 inches for a Sidekick dodger, and up to 24-30 inches for a 4/0 dodger. This is not for kokanee or landlocked king salmon on the downrigger, but as you asked, for topline trout (and hopefully wild or holdover trout).

The watermelon sidekick with a nightcrawler or minnow has been great this fall on Tahoe for wild rainbows and browns.

I'm talking about dodgers- here's a link to the first and shortest piece I ever wrote for this website, way back in 2000, on the incredible, edible dodger.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/technique/mwdodgers.html

Here's another on topline trolling with flashers (lake trolls, cowbells, etc.),

http://www.fishsniffer.com/wiza/120600flashers.html

and tragedyspring is right, any of these metal attractor lures will dig down and troll fairly deep on even 200 feet of monofilament line, only I find a lot of them troll deeper than he says, and in fact deeper than a lot of anglers believe, in the 20 to 30 foot range when trolling 1 MPH. This is actually one of the big secrets of topline trolling-... we're not trolling on top!

HBFishin
11-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Sounds like you are talking about flashers and not dodgers.
Many posts about both here in the pages, doing a search is the key.

I am an ultra-lite guy (4lb max) so, that being said.....

I like Sep's Mini Micro Flashers and their regular ones too, but also Sierra Tackle Co flashers.
Again, Seps' dodgers if that is truely what you are refering to. Luhr Jennsen is good too.

How long of a leader.... About 1.5 to 2 feet for the micro mini and almost 3 feet for the regular pro flashers.
For the dodger it depends. 6 inches, 10 at the very most. You want your bait (worm, grub, etc) to have a lot of action.
Rig her up, put in the water and look to see how she looks. Adjust accordingly.

Here is another thing I like when using flashers. Pick up some beeds.
Nothing like a little glow in the dark or red beed next to your half worm to spruce it up.

Good luck.

fernley_tim
11-26-2007, 08:57 PM
trout hate dodgers ;) there giant fans 8-) sorry I could not help myself at least there not athletic suporters ;D ;D

JMat
11-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Hey I can't argue with the Master(Weez), when I got my boat I re-read every article he had written for the Sniffer and then made copies to take out with me on the lake. *I just keep it real simple, for toplining it's a threaded nightcrawler with a Sep's Sidekick Dodger. *I've had better luck with the Sep's Sidekick over the Crystal Basin Wild Thing. *I drop them back anywhere between 50 and 150' and have pretty good luck catching trout, as a matter of fact I've caught a few Macks with the same set-up.
JMat

fishing_man
11-26-2007, 09:42 PM
thanks for all the help guys :) and i will be fishing lake chabot with this soon and see how i do thanks again
F_M

HBFishin
11-28-2007, 06:44 PM
I have never had any luck with a dodger at chabot for some reason.
Flashers, yes.
Silver and chartreuse were the two colors that worked for me there.
Gold works better when the water is murky or it is overcast.

Mr_Ed
11-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Dodgers and blades will both work for tout..................

However, there is LESS resistance with a dodger , which makes it
a lot easier to play and bring in fish.

However on some lakes the blades will out fish the dodgers............

Now what !! ?? ;D ;D ;D

B-RAN
11-29-2007, 07:18 AM
when you troll make sure you troll in 15 to 25 feet of water... those seps are flashers but they wofk pretty good ;)

steveo79
11-29-2007, 09:41 AM
good timing on this thread. I used what I learned here yesterday; ran a Sep's sidekick with about a 18" leader and a 2" grub, to limit on a lake where before I always relied on crawlers. Sure was nice to not have to reel in after every strike to see if I had any crawler left.
I had strikes, where the trout just kept hitting the grub, until they were hooked. Nice info, thanks!

Mikespyke
11-29-2007, 01:23 PM
what size and what brand would you recomend to topline for trout without downriggers? what colors? also how long shold your leader be to your nightcrawler? how would you rig the nightcrawler? by itslef and on what size hooks? there is a seps ready to troll set at walmart with lots of dodgers on the line. is that a good option? thanks
F_M

Don't overlook Shasta Tackle's sling blade dodgers in the small and mid size, silver/silver and silver/blue. *These won't roll at higher speeds 1.5 - 2.5 mph.

Happy trails, Mike

wkokaneeman
11-29-2007, 01:36 PM
*Nothing wrong with a small dodger and a crawler behind it!! Watermelon,Chrome,and if overcast or murky water,go gold or brass,and load that crawler up with Pro-Cure scent. 4" Sling Blades,or a Sep's sidekick.all great stuff for Trout. don't forget to use a plastic Shad imitation lure, or a Berkely or Sep's grub to.those can be quite deadly!! hope this helps!!

Budman
12-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Weez! Thank you sir for your ongoing contributions to this site. You probably think that praise for your gifts to we lessor gifted fish seekers is unwarranted, but some of us fear that your talent might be taken with Ahab and driven to the depths of the sea, never to surface to educate those of us that scum the surface.

If it helps, I am also watching Moby Dick... Bud

Seon
12-02-2007, 05:49 AM
Dodgers and blades will both work for tout..................

However, there is LESS resistance with a dodger , which makes it
a lot easier to play and bring in fish.

However on some lakes the blades will out fish the dodgers............

Now what !! ?? * * ;D ;D ;D

I agree 100%!

Pishinfool2 and I trolled Silver Lake numerous times, him using flasher and I used a Sep Dodger. He caught more fish but I didn't have the resistence with the Sep as with flashers. At the end of the day, we each C&R more fish than I could count ... well almost ;D

stonesfan
12-02-2007, 07:05 AM
HEY steveo79, That Grub thing was my idea past down to me from

a fellow sniffer, who had it past down to him from a sniffer, who had

it past down to him from another sniffer, I think........ [smiley=captjack.gif]

stonesfan [smiley=rollingstones.gif]