PDA

View Full Version : Squaw Creek Reservoir, NV

Captain Compassion
11-30-2007, 04:57 PM
The only couple of times that I've been north or Gerlach has been to hunt Chukar. What can anyone tell me about fishing at Squaw Creek Reservoir?

CC

troutfan
11-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Sorry Captain I've never fished it. If I'm not mistaken they have trout,bass,bluegill crappie and some cats. Maybe Ed will chime in I bet he's been there.

Captain Compassion
11-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Sorry Captain I've never fished it. *If I'm not mistaken they have trout,bass,bluegill crappie and some cats. *Maybe Ed will chime in I bet he's been there.

I noticed that NDOW is stocking the heck out of the place and I was curious. I love the area North of Pyramid and I'm looking for a good excuse to go there next spring.

CC

fernley_tim
11-30-2007, 05:57 PM
small lake, it does have planter trout also good bank fishing lake

Captain Compassion
11-30-2007, 06:00 PM
small lake, it does have planter trout also good bank fishing lake

Thanks Mongo. Good bank fishing makes it my kind of place.

CC

danmcmartin
11-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Cap'n, I have been there twice. It is a fairly large reservoir, maybe the size of Red or a little smaller. The north end has hot springs and the bass fishing can be good near there in the early spring and late fall. Once I got skunked the other time I tied into a nice fish that put up a good fight. Figure it was a 'bow or a bass, but turned out to be a green-eared sunfish. I proceeded to catch quite few more from shore. I got skunked in the dead of winter and caught the sunfish in August while scouting for Antelope (I did get a nice 12 1/2" antelope). This was all about 10 plus years ago. I bet spring and fall would be better.

Captain Compassion
11-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Cap'n, I have been there twice. *It is a fairly large reservoir, maybe the size of Red or a little smaller. *The north end has hot springs and the bass fishing can be good near there in the early spring and late fall. *Once I got skunked the other time I tied into a nice fish that put up a good fight. *Figure it was a 'bow or a bass, but turned out to be a green-eared sunfish. *I proceeded to catch quite few more from shore. *I got skunked in the dead of winter and caught the sunfish in August while scouting for Antelope (I did get a nice 12 1/2" antelope). *This was all about 10 plus years ago. *I bet spring and fall would be better. *

NDOW says fishing is best in the spring.

http://www.ndow.org/fish/where/waters/west/2007/32_Squaw%20Creek%20Reservoir.pdf

30+ years ago I hunted Chukar in this area several times. I love it. Thanks for the info.

CC

danmcmartin
12-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Now that my kids are older and can handle a longer ride in the truck, I will have to check it out again. If nothing else they should get a kick out of the sunfish.

Verdeye
12-01-2007, 10:34 AM
CC,
I have fished there several times in the past, but stopped going when there was conflict with the landowner trying to charge people for fishing - contrary to the agreement with NDOW. At that time it was mostly planter rainbows with some nice holdovers at times. I trolled with a car top alum boat and electic motor and occasionally float tubed with my fly rod. Bullheads were plentiful for bank fishermen. I always saw bass at the shallow north end but never tried for them. The best action for us was catching bullfrogs at night. Squaw has some huge frogs and always provided at least one meal per trip. UMMM tastes like chicken ;)

Captain Compassion
12-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the info Verdeye. I understrand that there are also lots of Crawdads. [smiley=lobster.gif]

CC

tragedyspring
12-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Kermit on crutches!!! poor kermit the frog ;D ;D ;D

homer
12-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Capt.
I take the grandkids up ther at least 20 times a year. It is good from shore or from a small boat. The kids use P/B any color for trout and morms for Bullhead cat fich. I use mostly Panther Martin in yellow with black or red spots. We fish it from ice out until it starts to turn cold.

Homer

Captain Compassion
12-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Capt.
I take the grandkids up ther at least 20 times a year.

Thanks for the info Homer. Sounds like a good place to visit in May. Is there any camping near by?

CC

homer
12-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Capt.
You can camp anywhere around the lake. If you go during the week, there are good spots on the north end. On the week-end you have to get there early on Friday. Not all that many people, just not a lot of flat ground.

Homer

drstressor
12-01-2007, 07:47 PM
It's a bank and float tube lake. Fishing has picked up since they fixed the dam 2 years ago. NDOW stocks the crap out of that place in the spring and sometimes in the fall also. The have even been planting tiger trout, which can be an interesting catch. Everybody had pretty much described the other fish in there. It's on public land so there aren't any fees. The place can be beautiful in May during good water years with lots of desert flowers. We used to run up there every year in the spring. Chuckar come down in the morning to drink.

Captain Compassion
12-01-2007, 08:54 PM
*The place can be beautiful in May during good water years with lots of desert flowers. We used to run up there every year in the spring. Chuckar come down in the morning to drink. *

I love California. I surely do but there is a different feeling on the backroads of Nevada. All that area North of 80 to the Oregon border from California to Utah is full of surprises. I'm a major fan of the sage brush sea.

CC

Mackattack
12-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Dont wait till spring capt. Go someplace now and take pics for us city folk to enjoy please [smiley=captjack.gif]

Mackattack [smiley=fishing5.gif]

Mr._Striper
12-01-2007, 09:04 PM
I too, love the sea of sage brush. Its much better when you see a 4x4+ buck in it with cross hairs on him.

Captain Compassion
12-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Dont wait till spring capt. Go someplace now and take pics for us city folk to enjoy please [smiley=captjack.gif]

The Captain aint through for the year. December will see more ICR, a walk down the East Carson and 1 or 2 trips to Pyramid. If the winds drop I would also like to try Tahoe off the shore at Cave Rock.

CC

Mr._Striper
12-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Have you ever done good from shore there at Tahoe CC?

Mackattack
12-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Capt. toss a live minnow on a bobber off the rock point on the west side of the launch or a worm. And hold on you may just get lucky. [smiley=captjack.gif]

Mackattack [smiley=angling.gif]

Captain Compassion
12-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Have you ever done good from shore there at Tahoe CC?

I've never fished there however my brother has and caught some nice Bows there on lures. There is another reason I want to try there. On my last trip to ICR I got into a discussion with a genteman who was a long time resident of South Lake. He says that fishing there with bait or lures can be effective in the winter. It's worth a shot.

CC

Mr._Striper
12-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Well, it looks like I too need to try Tahoe this winter. I've been wanting to fish there in a boat for macs. But, the boat that I have access to has a 2stroke motor on it.