PDA

View Full Version : huntington 11-25

Snowtrout
11-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Huntington is still fishable and with the water coming up the past few weeks, launching off the sand is not too much of a problem if you have 4wd.

Seems that in the mornings, SCE has increased the flows through rancheria, raising the water level and blowing debris into the east end of the lake so fishing that area is not the best. Saw two other boats on the lake and heard that they were not catching too much. As for me, the morning bite was the best with a few rainbows and browns in the mix but as soon as the wind died, so did the bite.

Temps are cold, 20's at 6 am, but warms up to the high 30's by 12pm. Hopefully if the storms hold off, fishing could continue for a few more weeks.

Ironhead
11-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Byron,

Thanks for the report. You keep putting in that much time, something really good is going to happen. There are some monsters in there.

JPFX
11-30-2007, 08:52 AM
I know it's off topic...but close enough. I just read Lake Edison hold the state record for the largest brown trout. I guess it beat one caught at Twin lakes. I was fishing Huntington a few years back and decided to check out Edison. The sign said 17 miles ahead. It should have also informed you that it was going to be the worst, scariest, slowest, 17 miles you'll drive.

Ironhead
11-30-2007, 09:32 AM
*The sign said 17 miles ahead. *It should have also informed you that it was going to be the worst, scariest, slowest, 17 miles you'll drive.

All the more reasons it remains one of the favorites for true fisherman. It keeps most people away...

Snowtrout
11-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Edison does not have the state record for the largest brown trout, upper twin lakes does. BUT, the largest fish to ever be taken by a net in California is from Edison at 27lbs.

Story about the fish. Back in the 60-70's, a lady was fishing for rainbows when she hooked into a planter. Big brown decides "hey, look at the easy meal", attacks and eats her rainbow while breaking her line. A few minutes later, the big brown is seen flopping on the surface dying because the hook in the rainbow ended up in the big browns gills. She netted the fish and took it up to the resort where it is now proudly on display.

So no she did not catch the fish, therefore it is not the state record. ;)

fishon_chris
11-30-2007, 12:54 PM
I worked at the Vermillon Vally Resort for two summers in 1998 and 1999 and the big boy is still on the wall.I beleve the fish was found by some Kids walking the bank they brought it to the resort and a game warden was called to weigh it and get some stomach samples before it was Mounted.It was cought in the summer of 1976 i beleve.I have fished that lake lots and there are a few big boys still there but not many fish in the 5 to10lb range mostly 1 to 3 lb range.The first summer i worked there i saw the biggest brown in the back of the lake by the mono inlet i would say it was well over 20lbs and was very smart not very hungry and spooked very easy.Saw her for 4 days straight than she was gone.I could be a great lake if the DFG would take care of it.

Chris

Snowtrout
11-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Chris,
Not to start anything but the story you have been told is not correct. Here is a pic of the fish and the lady who caught it.
http://www.monohotsprings.com/fishing.html

I agree that if SCE and the DFG would manage the lake, it would be one of the best lakes in CA if not the west coast. Just add kokanee or chubs ::)

fishon_chris
11-30-2007, 02:37 PM
Wow i guess i was wrong but there is a picture of a game warden holding a fish in the store at the resort maybe it is a diffrent fish that i am thinking of.Thanks for bringing that link up it ansered all my questions i had.Yes they do need to stock some smaller forage.Edison has not been the fishery its know to be in years.I did not even put it on my list to fish it this year.Maybe next year.

Chris :)

mtalley
11-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Chris,

I think you are thinking of the picture w/ the brown that looks like it almost has tiger stripes on it. That picture is still up on the wall in the restaurant.

I would have loved to see that huge fish you are talking about. My biggest Edison Brown is pretty dang small.

Byron,

I fished Huntington Wed am. No browns but the Bows were hitting a CD-7 Brown Trout, until the wind stopped. You report was right on. Thanks.

JPFX
11-30-2007, 03:41 PM
OK you're all wrong :D :D :D
Here is the real story:
In 1974 the largest brown ever recorded was FOUND in Edison. The trout was hooked a day earlier, and after an exhausting battle, snapped the anglers line. The fish was injured by the lure, which got stuck in its gill, and on the following day a group of anglers found it struggling to stay alive. When they scooped it up, the fish weighed 27.5 lbs, almost a pound bigger than the 26.8 lb's that was CAUGHT at Upper Twin Lake in 1987.

fishon_chris
11-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Well i have heard that story to in the past.I dont know which one is true but who care's anymore.Lets all get the point it was not cought on a rod and reel with line it was netted.Well i was only 2 years off LOL i was told the story when i was 18 i am 28 now.Regardless it a trophy size fish and there are not that many like that left in Calfornia any more.
Chris