PDA

View Full Version : double hooks?

cptdarel
11-27-2007, 03:21 PM
I sure lose my share of trout, from bad hookups to hook flying out on netting.
I donít lose near as many Kokes with the double hooks set up. I haven't used them on trout yet.
Do any of you use double hooks for trout? *

steveo79
11-27-2007, 03:38 PM
I get lots of short strikes with the crawler behind a wedding ring. I thought about the second hook; checked out the how to in the Kokanee board, but wasn't sure how I was going to thread on the crawler.

Athlete24
11-27-2007, 03:46 PM
I had a friend a few years ago who used double hooks when I went fishing with him. It worked good he used night crawlers and didn't miss any, however I don't remember how he rigged it up, sorry. [smiley=undecided.gif]

I assume however if you have line in between hooks you could just thread the crawler onto each hook.

steveo79
11-27-2007, 04:07 PM
I assume however if you have line in between hooks you could just thread the crawler onto each hook.
Yeah, I had the same thought, then I tried to do it. :)

Athlete24
11-27-2007, 04:28 PM
You would have to thread the crawler on the first hook, then tie your line to the first hook, that might not work.
I wish I could remember because he had it down. [smiley=wallbash.gif]

atavuss
11-27-2007, 04:55 PM
is it legal to use multiple hooks for trout?

HOOF
11-27-2007, 05:43 PM
I don't see why it would be any different than kokanee as far as the legality is concerned-I see lots of baitleader hooks for trout and other plug type lures with multiple hooks

tragedyspring
11-27-2007, 07:37 PM
double snell ;) google it

DuramaxDan
11-27-2007, 09:01 PM
I use double hooks on most everything.I use to use wedding rings now I use double wammies since they have double hooks from the get go.I have found that I get more fish with less short strikes with the double hook set ups.

TNT
11-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Wouldn't you just let the back hook hang behind alongside the worm? When I have seen shad rigged, there is a rear hook that just sits along the tail.

steveo79
11-27-2007, 11:54 PM
I guess the problem I was having was tying the second hook to the shank of the first hook. Can't get the worm over that. If I tie the second hook, up on the line above the hook, that would work, no?

fishguts
11-28-2007, 12:51 AM
The problem I have with double hook sets is that the distal hook is on a short line, no stretch and then breaks alot. I went to just adding a cheater hook instead. You can buy them and can slip them on and off at your leisure. I've picked mine up at Glory Hole Sports in Angels Camp and at Fishermans warehouse. Sometimes they are mixed in with the bass stuff.

metalmouth
11-28-2007, 05:26 AM
A double Snell is easy to tie. Snell on the bottom hook, slide the top hook onto the line and repeat. You can set the top hook anywhere you want. You can also make a slider by Snelling on the bottom hook. Slide your upper hook onto the main line. Use a second piece of line to Snell the second hook over the top of the main line. Easy Slider! ;)

MM

tragedyspring
11-28-2007, 06:28 AM
bravo metalmouth 8-)

TNT
11-28-2007, 06:43 AM
I agree... Double snell.

fishguts
11-28-2007, 06:55 AM
MM
You are absolutely right, you are the only authority and you're word is law and shame on me for offering up an alternative.

metalmouth
11-28-2007, 07:15 AM
MM
You are absolutely right, you are the only authority and you're word is law and shame on me for offering up an alternative.
fishguts,

You're a little tough on people trying to help. . . :-/

cptdarel
11-28-2007, 08:10 AM
The problem I have with double hook sets is that the distal hook is on a short line, no stretch and then breaks alot. I went to just adding a cheater hook instead. You can buy them and can slip them on and off at your leisure. *I've picked mine up at Glory Hole Sports in Angels Camp and at Fishermans warehouse. Sometimes they are mixed in with the bass stuff.
Well fishguts that may be my alternitive, I use to tie ALL of my gear, but the years took over and my fingers and eyes arn't what they use to be, gets frusrating to say the least. Thanks Sniffs for all the input. *:)
MM that is the way to go!

Seon
11-28-2007, 08:23 AM
Hey Sniffers, how's about some pics as to how you tie the double hooks?

Years ago, I was taught by an old friend to tie doubles using snell knots for bull heads or mudsucker on my striper rig. *I haven't tied one since I stopped fishing for stripers....maybe back in '79. *I'll try to tie a double hook now and post a pic later. *But if anyone has or can take a pic NOW, please post a pic *:o

Mr_Ed
11-28-2007, 08:34 AM
Years ago for salmon I used a double hook set up.

The top hook was a "Slider" that could be adjusted to the size of
the" chovies".

It works on night crawlers also............

I used the "Whipping " knot for the end of cut lines, or that
rod makers use...........

Mickey_Thomas
11-28-2007, 08:34 AM
Didn't find the site I was looking for but this one is a good one anyway, didn't see the double hook knot but worth a look anyway Fishing Knots (http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=ww w.animatedknots)

drstressor
11-28-2007, 09:19 AM
If you want to tie a good sliding 2 hook rig, try the Snood Knot (http://www.marinews.com/Sliding-Snood-351.php?PHPSESSID=b98c2e72a913958a6b4522e462)

Seon
11-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Here's the way I rig for double hooks. *Palamar knot on the bottom hook and a snell knot on the top that'll slide up or down the leader.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/687113/18367214/290597536.jpg

smellslikefish
11-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Hi Darrell, I have a suggestion on how to thread a worm on a double hook set up. When I thread a worm (nightcrawler), I always start to thread it about 1/2" up from the flat part of the crawler (assuming that's the tail) and then continue all the way through the very tip of the crawler. I suggest doing the same thing but intstead of going all the way up through the tip of the crawler, bring your threader out of the crawler about an inch before the tip. Then thread the crawler on the rear hook up to the front hook and hook the 1 inch tip of the crawler to the front hook. I think this might work for ya. Good luck and take care. Mike

TroutWagon
11-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Mike thats very crafty!!

cptdarel
11-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi Darrell, I have a suggestion on how to thread a worm on a double hook set up. *When I thread a worm (nightcrawler), I always start to thread it about 1/2" up from the flat part of the crawler (assuming that's the tail) and then continue all the way through the very tip of the crawler. *I suggest doing the same thing but intstead of going all the way up through the tip of the crawler, bring your threader out of the crawler about an inch before the tip. *Then thread the crawler on the rear hook up to the front hook and hook *the 1 inch tip of the crawler to the front hook. *I think this might work for ya. *Good luck and take care. *Mike
Hey Mike !, thanks for that, that is a great set up, but I don't use WORMS *;D, someone else brought up the little wiggly buggers ::), I am a total JUNK fisherman, may put on a little smell but thats it!

billfisher
11-28-2007, 05:24 PM
There is another way to go to add a second hook in a jiffy if you start getting short strikes. I have a few very short leaders (about an inch or two long) pretied to a second hook. I keep these in my tackle box. They have a very small loop (or a line connecter) on one end and the second hook (stinger) on the other. I thread on whatever I'm using (usually a mini crawler) on the first hook about half way down the body of the bait, slip the loop end of the short leader over the barb of the first hook, follow it with a very short piece (about 1/8 inch) of vinyl wire insulation (wire removed) to keep the loop from coming off of the first hook and to snug the second leader right up against the body of the bait) then hook the "stinger" hook through near the end of the bait. When you want to replace the bait just remove the stinger rig and start over again. This has worked great for me because it allows me to start out with a single hook (which I think gives better bait movement action) but quickly switch to the stinger set up if I am getting short strikes.

billfisher

KOKANEEKIDTC
11-28-2007, 06:07 PM
double snell is right!! hook the rear (stationary one) to the desired area of the tail end of the worm and, as the front hook is a slider, adjust the length to the head end of the worm... rig the hooks just like when using plastic worms. straighten out your worm and go catch a fish! the stinger rig is a multi-purpose thing and can be used for all kinds of bait rigging.

KOKANEEKIDTC
11-28-2007, 06:12 PM
hey smells like fish!!! great to see you on here. i forgot how you rigged the worms when we were out... thanks for the refresher. tc

steveo79
11-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks for all the tips, all. Nice to have a few more tricks at hand; appreciate the sharing of info!

billfisher
11-29-2007, 12:51 PM
double snell is right!!

Except, of course, when it is not right. ;)

Since this post began with the question of how to remedy "short strikes", it seems clear that the answer is to get a hook closer to the tail of the bait. With the double snell set up you would end up with one hook near the tail of the bait to address the short stike problem) and one at the head (because that's the only reasonable placement the double snell allows). But if you prefer one in the middle of the bait and one near the tail, then you need to go another "right" way. There is seldom one right answer to a problem like short strikes. Just different answers that provide different results that try to solve different problems and that give us choices of ways to go.