PDA

View Full Version : Frigid Eagle Lake - Thanksgiving Weekend

cornfused
11-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Fished Eagle for the 4-day Thanksgiving weekend with my friend Steve. Talk about cold! It was between 9 and 12 degrees the first three mornings, with some ice on the water at the Spaulding launch. Yesterday morning was a balmy 27 with the cloud cover. Couldn't get the main or kicker motor to pee one morning without multiple starts, and the old worm threader ream job!

Fishing was outstanding all four days with easy limits. The morning bite was definitely the best. Talked to Excavator (Adam) Fri morning, and they had their limits early and were heading back home. Good talking with you Adam. Also talked to Bryan (Big Daddy's Guide Service), and he filled his clients limits with large fish and was off the water early each day. Bryan, thanks for the stories and the laughs ;).

On Saturday we met a retired couple that had broke the serpentine belt on their I/O from a frozen water pump. We asked Rudi and his wife to join us Sunday morning. Rudi was up for it, but his wife decided she had enough of the cold [smiley=cold.gif]. We started at 7am Sunday, and had limits by 8:30 with the smallest going around 3.5 lbs :). Rudi, if you happen to read this it was a pleasure fishing with you!

Caught a few on brown and orange grubs, but our best fishing was with Jay Fair orange trolling fly & wiggle fin combo, medium Sure Catch in the Red Dog, Brown Trout and Watermelon patterns, and a gold digger needle fish (brass & orange). Slow (1.2-1.4) worked best, and most were caught toplining 150' back near Pelican. The average size of the fish is definitely bigger than we've seen the last 4 or 5 years!

Here's some pictures of fish we kept:
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/uploads/1784/100_5950.jpg
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/uploads/1784/100_5949.jpg
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/uploads/1784/100_5946.jpg

tjfish
11-26-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks again for sharing with pictures. You are quite the fisherman. Those are some really nice trout and great size.

cornfused
11-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks again for sharing with pictures. *You are quite the fisherman. *Those are some really nice trout and great size.

Tak, thanks for the kind words, but we have to ring this one up to plain old luck. The recent cold snap definitely turned on the bite. Seems like most people on the water were into the fish. Thank goodness we had essentially no wind to deal with.

cynnate
11-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Despite the cold, judging by the size of the fish, looks more than worth the shivers. Great job and congrats on those beauties. One of those fish looks like it could use a salad. ;)Talk about bodymass index!!! ;D

troutfan
11-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the report and the great pics. Those fish have definately been feeding heavily. Hooray for fat Eagle lake Trout!

cornfused
11-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Despite the cold, judging by the size of the fish, looks more than worth the shivers. Great job and congrats on those beauties. One of those fish looks like it could use a salad. *;)Talk about bodymass index!!! ;D

Thanks for the report and the great pics. Those fish have definately been feeding heavily. Hooray for fat Eagle lake Trout!

A couple of the fish spit up snails and shrimp all over the floor of the boat. All of the fish we cleaned were loaded with shrimp and a few snails, and some of the freshwater shrimp were turning ORANGE from the colder water - hint hint ;).

targa185
11-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Nice fish What is the daily limit on eagle trout. I heard something about you can only keep thre in your posession so I guess loading up the cooler for a 2 day trip is out.

cornfused
11-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Nice fish What is the daily limit on eagle trout. *I heard something about you can only keep thre in your posession so I guess loading up the cooler for a 2 day trip is out.

You are correct, loading up a cooler is out. Eagle Lake has special regulations - 2 fish per day, 4 in possession. Most of our fish were released with a needlenose along side the boat without touching the fish.

targa185
11-26-2007, 02:30 PM
I have never been to eagle lake before. Can anyone tell me where the best place to launch is and where to fish. what time do they open or are there gate that close at night. What is the fee. Thanks
Targa

_Gone_Fishin_
11-26-2007, 02:39 PM
The trout in the second pic looks soooo full that his head is about to pop off! HA HA! ;D Great pics!

vvbob
11-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Nice job guys. I agree it can get pretty chilly up there, but it's worth it.*8-)
Great pics, especially the first one, beautiful colors....the fish look great

TCtrout
11-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Great report and pics Cornfused.
How was the ramp ? Little slippery ?
Love those Eagle Lake Trout.

TCtrout

BigB
11-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Hey Bob,

How come we never caught any fish like they did? :)

Brian

vvbob
11-26-2007, 08:00 PM
How come we never caught any fish like they did?

If you would have come back in Oct.........

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z145/vvbob/4631010-24small.jpg

And it wasn't that cold either ;D ;D

EXCAVATOR
11-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Sounds like you had a great trip !!! ;) It was good talking to you up at Eagle , small world :D.

I'll head back up in a week or two for the last time this year.

EXCAVATOR

gadgetman
11-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Nice looking fish, the fish in the picture below is how I looked on Thanksgiving Day....STUFFED. *Thanks for the report.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/uploads/1784/100_5949.jpg

cornfused
11-26-2007, 09:51 PM
I have never been to eagle lake before. Can anyone tell me where the best place to launch is and where to fish. *what time do they open or are there gate that close at night. *What is the fee. Thanks
Targa
With the lake as low as it is, Spaulding is the best place to launch right now ($5 daily fee). * This may change in a couple weeks - If the cold weather sets in Spaulding bay may freeze over since the west end of the lake is pretty shallow. *The marina at the south end of the lake is also pretty shallow but still can be used. *This launch is adjacent to deeper (warmer) water so it freezes later. *I believe you can legally fish from 1 hour before sunrise to 1 hour after sunset.

I agree it can get pretty chilly up there, but it's worth it. 8-)
Bob, couldn't agree with you more. *Are you heading back up before the season ends this year?

How was the ramp ? Little slippery ?
Yes, the ramp had ice and was slippery. *Be very careful if you launch there, and do not unhook your boat until your motors are over the water. *I learned this last year the hard way as I watched my boat slide off the frozen bunks onto the concrete ramp[smiley=duh.gif]. *Saw the same thing happen 3 weeks ago at Spaulding to a brand new 21' North River. *We helped the guy get his boat back on the trailer - Even though there was little if any damage, he was so sick that he couldn't fish. *If the ramp is real slick, you may have to chain up - I have heard stories from locals of boats and vehicles sliding all the way into the lake when the ramp ices up.

I'll head back up in a week or two for the last time this year.

I'm Jealous ;) *I'd love to pull that one off. *Don't know if I have the energy to do one day trip like you guys did on Friday. 4-1/2 hours each way is a bit too much for me!

TNT
11-27-2007, 10:09 PM
We were there for Thanksgiving also. One day we couldn't get both motors to pee either. Used the heater on the kicker and got it to work soe we could get out and fish. The next day we stuffed weed eater line into the pee holes and pulled it out just before starting the motors and both peed good.
--Tom

hookeyjaw
11-27-2007, 10:19 PM
I am hoping to make it up there in a couple of weeks before it closes, possibly for a weekend. I am going to fish from shore by the pine creek mouth with worms.

BryanBDGS
11-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Pat, good to see you guys at the lake. You did really hit it at the right time the bite was great. Mondays bite was just as good but the size of fish was a little smaller. I'm glad I could fill Steve in on the "inside stories" Im sure he now has a better understanding of exactly how twisted some Eagle Lake fishermen really are. ;D

Tom - You should get some sort of award for your invention. (The keeping the "pee hole" open device.) I have seen alot of things at the boat ramps over the years but that was a new one by me. The best part was it worked great. Have you given any thought to marketing it. I figure it will cost you about 50 cents including packaging to manufacture it (25 cents if you use china like everyone else) and you could probably sell them for 19.99. A fair price when you think about it :)

cornfused
11-29-2007, 05:41 AM
Pat, good to see you guys at the lake. You did really hit it at the right time the bite was great. Mondays bite was just as good but the size of fish was a little smaller. I'm glad I could fill Steve in on the "inside stories" Im sure he now has a better understanding of exactly how twisted some Eagle Lake fishermen really are. ;D

Tom - You should get some sort of award for your invention. (The keeping the "pee hole" open device.) I have seen alot of things at the boat ramps over the years but that was a new one by me. The best part was it worked great. Have you given any thought to marketing it. I figure it will cost you about 50 cents including packaging to manufacture it (25 cents if you use china like everyone else) and you could probably sell them for 19.99. A fair price when you think about it :)

Bryan, I think Steve's still laughing now that he knows the inside scoop from the radio chatter the week before [smiley=beer.gif].

Tom, that is a great idea. Thanks for the tip and I'll try that next time.