PDA

View Full Version : Newport Beach Area Trip

spankola
03-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Going on vacation to Orange County area in a couple of weeks and wanted to fish the surf. *Grew up in Huntington Beach and used to fish from shore at Pch/Goldenwest. *Is this still a good spot??? *Any ideas??? Bait???? *Etc..?????? *Thank you.

G.Billena
03-26-2009, 10:02 AM
I grew up there too! from the Wedge in Newport on up to Manhattan is all good.I usually take a big stick(15ft) loaded with 20lb and chuck a whole squid for sharks and rays and I try to bring my 8'6 steelhead rod loaded with 8lb and use sand crabs,mussel, or bloodworms.Lite line in the surf is fun.....
Good Luck
Hawaii75

swikmo
03-28-2009, 03:49 AM
and if the surf action isnt happening you can always rent a sciff at davey's locker.Ive caught barracuda trolling out through the jedi's out to the buoy or get some live bait and score some butts,bass and bonita and macks.My best was a 6' thresher right at the buoy!mad luck

swik

G.Billena
03-28-2009, 08:57 AM
as swikmo suggested....the skiffs at Daveys Locker are a lot of fun...for a lil over a hundred bucks, you can fish the Newport harbor for a full day.Sharks,cudas,rays,bass,etc etc......I try to get a skiff out there once a year.LOTS OF FUN.......find the live bait barge and fish around it.Lots of good fish all around it.....

spankola
03-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the info. Will post after the trip and let you know what i ended up doing thank you.