PDA

View Full Version : Bankin' Thermalito Afterbay 11/23

Jigster
11-27-2007, 01:05 AM
We had a few hours the morning after Thanksgiving to try out the Afterbay for some Steelhead. *We spent Thankgiving at Grandma's and I decided to take my daughter for some fishing. *

It was about 9 AM when we had our baits in the water at the South shore just East of the Wilbur Rd boat ramp. *The weather was clear but windy. *Temperature was cool, about 50 degrees F. *We tried white powereggs, nightcrawlers, on top, bottom and in combinations. *No luck at all so we headed over to the 162 bridge to give it a try.

There was a Southerly wind so the area was wind protected relative to the Wilbur Rd ramp. *I put some Powerbait Trout attractant on the old white powereggs we used all morning and tossed it in for my daughter while I readied the second pole. *Ten minutes later it was fish-on! *These are no ordinary trout. *We're talking jumps, powerful runs, and stamina! *It took about 10 minutes to land this Steelie. *Turned out to be 19 inches. *It was slow after that. *Landed another one an hour later, about the same size, just as fiesty. *Both on white powereggs. *The worms weren't *producing today.

Anyway, we were off the water by noon with one for Grandma and one for the family. *Thanks to Chicofishermen and TelecomCal for their sage advice. *This is a special fishery so, have fun and catch as many as you can, take one home for the table and release the rest to fight another day. *Let's stretch this out as long as we can. *We'll be back.

J

PS. * *Here's some pics:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5939/thermalito1ik6.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8305/thermalito2wl6.jpg

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1748/thermalito3bq8.jpg

troutfan
11-27-2007, 02:02 AM
Nice report. Those Rainbows sure are beautiful!

BuckFish
11-27-2007, 07:39 AM
Thxs jigster for the updates, those are some dandy fish.
I WFH yesterday and finished up early, so I headed over for a couple hr's in the evening that I spent at the Wilbur ramp area and didn't get a nibble.
I was using the crawler under a slip bobber and will try the white PB next time out.

I 2 agree C/R and can't wait to catch 1 of those Steelies and have them on the BBQ

TeleComCal
11-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Jigster:

I don't know about sage advice, never tried sage on Steelies.... ;).

But lets just say that even though at one time I thought I had made a mistake by talking too much about the Afterbay, but with the words that so many of us are uttering about c&r these bad boys and girls, I have changed that thought. I LOVE catching this fish. The fight is great.

I need to change lines though, the 6pound mono I use has snapped 3 times in the last 2 weeks. SO there are or were 3 steelies, 17 to 22 inches ( saw them all about 4 feet from shore ) with a hook ( barbs smashed down ) about 2 feet of line and my split shots hanging from their mouths sweimming around out there. The way these fish jump around and the rocks in the Afterbay make it easy for them to shred your line.

I hope everyine that gets to read these posts gets a chance to catch some and release 4/5 of them.

Great job and I am glad your daughter got to catch one also.

Jigster
11-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Jigster:

I don't know about sage advice, never tried sage on Steelies.... ;).

But lets just say that even though at one time I thought I had made a mistake by talking too much about the Afterbay, but with the words that so many of us are uttering about c&r these bad boys and girls, I have changed that thought. I LOVE catching this fish. The fight is great.

I need to change lines though, the 6pound mono I use has snapped 3 times in the last 2 weeks. SO there are or were 3 steelies, 17 to 22 inches ( saw them all about 4 feet from shore ) with a hook ( barbs smashed down ) about 2 feet of line and my split shots hanging from their mouths sweimming around out there. The way these fish jump around and the rocks in the Afterbay make it easy for them to shred your line.

I hope everyine that gets to read these posts gets a chance to catch some and release 4/5 of them.

Great job and I am glad your daughter got to catch one also.

I agree Troutfan, you guys are lucky to be so close to this fishery. We'll have to visit Grandma more often. ::)

Thanks TCCal, Maybe lemon, dill and some salt and peppar will work better. ;)

We used 8lb flourocarbon and had no problems. Check your line often for knicks though with all the rocks there, it could be abrasion and not your 6 lb line. You may be getting more hits than we were with the lighter line. Such is the trade off.

Buckfish, try fishing off the bottom with enough PB to float it above the rocks and vegetation. We didn't get the top bite when we were there either.

Good luck,

J

chicofishrmen
11-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Good job on the steelies Jigster, thanks for the report & pic's. I can't wait to get there again! See ya on the water!

Jigster
11-27-2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks again Chico, we might be back after Xmas. In the meantime, I'll have to fish vicariously through the Fishsniffer. :-/ Go get'em guys...

Captain Compassion
11-27-2007, 09:37 AM
*These are no ordinary trout. *We're talking jumps, powerful runs, and stamina! *It took about 10 minutes to land this Steelie.

Look at the tail size relative to the size of the trout in the second picture. Those are powerful fish.

CC

Mickey_Thomas
11-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Now this is one beautiful fish, Troutfans say "rainbow", Chico says "steelies" will this become a moderator fight? ;D ;D ;D I love the shape of that tail :D
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8305/thermalito2wl6.jpg

chicofishrmen
11-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Now this is one beautiful fish, Troutfans say "rainbow", Chico says "steelies" will this become a moderator fight? ;D ;D ;D

Good question Mickey? The "fish" are steelies from the Feather River Hatchery, but since they will never get to the ocean so are they really steelies????

I don't care what they're called, just let me at them again! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Jigster
11-27-2007, 09:58 AM
They are kind of purdy ain't they? :)

If these are hatchery fish, why don't they have the round tails like the rainbows that are raised in concrete pens? How large are they when planted?

The first fish was a hen full of roe. Can they spawn in the Afterbay or do they need to go upriver to spawn? I felt a little guilty after I cleaned her. (It didn't last long. ;)) I froze the roe. What do you guys do with that? Bait...?

J

Captain Compassion
11-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Now this is one beautiful fish, Troutfans say "rainbow", Chico says "steelies" will this become a moderator fight? ;D ;D ;D I love the shape of that tail :D

Makes no difference. I want some.

CC

Freshwater_J
11-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Thoes are nice! Right on. ;D Myself and 3girlsdad went out there last week and blanked... Right there off the 162 bridge and all i got was a cold, but then again, it seems like we might have been using the wrong bait... Nightcrawlers... next time have to try the other.. Congrats on your catch.

cgagex3
11-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Beauties there Jigster,
I am really looking forward to this weekend, plan on making the run up there Sat or Sun. Haven't decided yet between banking it or taking out my pontoon. I think the wind will have a lot to do with that.
Hope to see a few of you out there bright & early.

CG

żżż
11-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Nice fish J!

Glad to hear you two were able to hook into some quality fish. *Let's head up there before it either gets too cold or the fish are all taken.

C&R guys!!!!

The size of that tail is truly amazing. *It's almost comical how large it looks. *

BTW, anyone catching these guys on lures?

Jigster
11-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Freshwater J, although I'd like to claim that it was my mad fishin' skills that got us into the fish, but in reality, they weren't even nibblin' on the worms, and a Herculean backlash on my baitcasting rod w/Kastmaster killed the lure angle so all I had was powereggs! ;D I guess it pays to try a little of everything.

Thanks CG, if I had a boat, I would go that route. It's a small body of water so you can get around easily with your pontoon and nice to be able to cover more territory. Stay away from the duck hunters though. :o

Let's go Mike! If it's not frozen, it's not too cold. I trust my Sniffer brothers to leave some for the next guy. Hopefully just until we get there!