PDA

View Full Version : Weather and Pyramid

jesballs
11-25-2007, 07:59 PM
well last year i tried to fish pyramid to no aval didnt even sniff the water do to a storm. i was wondering if some sniffers could posibly tell me what month in you opinon are you less likey to incounter bad weather? i know nothing is 100% sure but your info is gladly apreciated

jes

fernley_tim
11-25-2007, 08:34 PM
jesballs, my 2 cents is no month is better than any other and I fish pyramid around 50 times a year ;) what you need to do is look at the long range forcast and look for a high pressure system that looks like its staying put over the west for an extended period :-/ today the lake was flat 5 days ago it was blowing 50+ mph :o if you come up for more than a day you usally have a window in there to get some fishing in. as you know thats not always the case ::) good luck ;) if the wind is blowing you can always fish the bank and catch a big hog ;)

CHICKFISHING58
11-26-2007, 10:29 AM
I agree with Tim just wanted to add dont fish on a full moon ;D

Pyramid_Kid
11-26-2007, 05:19 PM
I agree with Tim just wanted to add dont fish on a full moon ;D

Fish when ever you like. Though I will say this that the fishing is better when there isnt a full moon so mind your lunar chart. About a week out from when you want to fish I would start looking at the weather report. Sure its easier for me because I only live 25 miles from the boat launch. But believe me I still look at the reports at least a week out. Your biggest concern will be the wind. Ive seen it be flat dead calm and then turn really ugly almost literally in the blink of an eye. Then Ive also seen it be really ugly in the morning and shortly after noon the wind passes and the lake is a mirror.

I dont use weather.com. I dont think its that accurate. I use www.weather.gov

It is in my opinion by far the most accurate. My reasons for this is that they constantly up date the weather info through out the day. Ive had times that the forcast changed 6 times through out the day for the day I was looking and the other days that I wanted it to be nice.

But be preppaired to not be able to launch your boat. So bring your casting gear and lures just in case.

11-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Man I can only second what the Pyramid Kid said. We only fish the lake two-three times a year, but it can get UGLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. Course we know what wind is in the bay area.

BigB
11-26-2007, 06:49 PM
But of course we are talking about Nevada. Even though PK is 25 minutes away from the lake and it is snow or something like that at his house does not mean it is snowing at Pyramid. You almost have to go out to the lake is see what the weather is doing.

Here are a couple of websites to look at. The first one is Crosby's Lodge, which has a camera pointed at the lake. The second site is constantly updated every hour.

http://www.crosbylodge.com/

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/rawMAIN4.pl?nvsutc

Brian

Pyramid_Kid
11-26-2007, 07:14 PM
This is true. It could be blowing 20 mph at my place and the lake could only be 5-10 mph.

Case in point. Farrier Frank and Mongo (Fernley Tim) were on the lake a few days ago and it was UGLY. (by the way shame on you TIM) They really shouldnt have been on the lake. Anyway. Tim claims gusts to 50 MPH at the lake, and I dont doubt him in anyway. But I only live as the crow flies maybe 15 miles from the lake, and I didnt have hardly any wind at all. So............ If your gonna come fish Pyramid plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Kell_I
11-26-2007, 08:10 PM
This is true. It could be blowing 20 mph at my place and the lake could only be 5-10 mph.

Case in point. Farrier Frank and Mongo (Fernley Tim) were on the lake a few days ago and it was UGLY. (by the way shame on you TIM) They really shouldnt have been on the lake. Anyway. Tim claims gusts to 50 MPH at the lake, and I dont doubt him in anyway. But I only live as the crow flies maybe 15 miles from the lake, and I didnt have hardly any wind at all. *So............ If your gonna come fish Pyramid plan for the worst and hope for the best. it was blowing that day pk but was only one of those handfull that we could fish in those conditions ;) any ever time I would not even launch :) most or always I try and fish in safe conditions but that particular day it was fishable 8-) I have had 10mph that I would not think about launching in :o as ive stated in many other post be smart and beach the rig if your in any kind of danger!!! all my gear and equipt. is insured. live to fish another day :)

Pyramid_Kid
11-26-2007, 09:11 PM
[quote author=Pyramid Kid link=1196049594/0#6 date=1196133293] I try and fish in safe conditions but that particular day it was fishable 8-) I have had 10mph that I would not think about launching in :o as ive stated in many other post be smart and beach the rig if your in any kind of danger!!! all my gear and equipt. is insured. live to fish another day :)

I agree with you 100%. No need to defend yourself. I too have been on that lake when if you were to read the conditions of the lake youd say noway Im even gonna drive out let alone put my boat in. But yet you get out there and the wind is howling out of the west north west and the dust is blowing out by the needles and the south end of the lake is as nasty as can be. But everything from the Pelican launch north is very do able. I totally understand. Im just letting a rookie know the dangers of the lake and to be prepairred.

Farrier_Frank
11-27-2007, 06:32 AM
Case in point. Farrier Frank and Mongo (Fernley Tim) were on the lake a few days ago and it was UGLY. (by the way shame on you TIM) They really shouldnt have been on the lake.

The decision we made that day, with all the wind, and the following day with the big rollers, to fish Pyramid in that storm was made with a background of experience working boats in rough conditions. I grew up in a family of seafarers who worked the North Atlantic. And everybody in my family died of old age. The key is in knowing how to read the water and the conditions. Mongo and I didn't just drop the boat in the water that day. We took a good look at what we were up against and decided how we could work the water that day and stay safe. And we stayed safe and dry and caught fish. True, I don't recommend anybody trying that unless they have the experience and the right boat. More importantly, never ever try what we did if you have fear of the water..... Panic is you're worst enemy in situations like that. Be smart and stay ashore if you have doubts, pull out your bank gear and fish the shore.

Mongo is a solid-as-a-rock guy and we had no trouble fishing those conditions. Two years ago I fished Pyramid in conditions far less sever with a person who turned into a nervous wreck and almost swamped the boat because he panicked.