PDA

View Full Version : Melones today the 24th

tortuga
11-24-2007, 08:00 AM
Heading out with my son who's in town from New Mexico. We're in the Silver Westcoaster with the stars. We're on 69. Probably gonna head upriver and fish our way back down to the spillway. We're starting late so its probably just gonna be a cruise with the kid. (30 yr old kid?) Give us a holler if anyone else is out there. We'll post when we get back...good or not good!
Tight lines
Tortuga

TroutWagon
11-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Tortuga,

Give some good news out of melones please!!

Ironhead
11-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Don't like being the guy with bad news, but I fished Melones Friday with hardly any action. Fishon !8 & myself launched at Tuttletown and headed for the 49 bridge. We figured we had better fish up river since it was so dark and did not want to run into anything. . Spent all day up river in the canyon with a total of 3 fish. Few boats working the area with not a net flying. Did not mark many fish, but the water and the weather were outstanding. Hard to believe it is the end of November with weather like this. We pretty much threw the tackle box at them but not many takers. We need rain and cold weather to turn these lakes on. There were a few obstacles showing but not as bad as I thought it would be. We did get both riggers hung but got lucky and got them unstuck.

Ironhead

tortuga
11-24-2007, 03:54 PM
We actually got into a few trout. We didn't start fishing til about 9:00 and really just thought we'd have a nice chance to catch up...he moved back to New Mex a couple of years ago. We headed to the spillway and put out a Wedding Ring...a crawler behind a dodger and a broken back Rapala. We were aiming at 125 feet back but never made it. My son's Rapala made about 50 feet and his line went nuts!! 15 minutes later he landed a beautiful 17" Bow...I didn't think to weigh it until it was in the cooler for 45 minutes and it weighed 1lb 15 ozs. I'm calling it a 2 pounder! I changed to a Rapala and mine line starts stripping and clicking and I landed a fiesty 13 incher and let him go. A little while later his goes off again and he lands a 14 incher. It was hurt so we kept it. That was it for the day. We left around 1:00. Melones is not quite there yet but it won't be long. Water was 60-61 degrees and we didn't, see anything on th FF.
Here's a couple of pictures.
Tight lines
Tortuga

http://inlinethumb13.webshots.com/30284/2241876570067872317S425x425Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2241876570067872317VDTFMs)

http://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/18347/2170523460067872317S425x425Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2170523460067872317rDyweK)

http://inlinethumb31.webshots.com/32798/2844561110067872317S425x425Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2844561110067872317ccEDQR)

Farrier_Frank
11-24-2007, 05:29 PM
I didn't think to weigh it until it was in the cooler for 45 minutes and it weighed 1lb 15 ozs. *I'm calling it a 2 pounder!

That's a good call, Tortuga. By this time in the evening, with nobody looking over my shoulder, I'd post it at 2 lbs, too.... couple more beers and I'd have myself convinced it was 16" and 2.4 lbs. Honest[smiley=homersimpson.gif]

I didn't get a chance to fish Melones this year. If I see the bite kicking in I just might have to get down there this spring. [smiley=winkfs.gif]

P.S. Good looking fish, nice full tails... even the little guy. 8-)

steveo79
11-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Nice pictures, Tortuga. Glad to see some nice fish coming out of Melones; hopefully it will turn over soon, and then the fishing will really take off. Until then.....

HOOF
11-24-2007, 06:49 PM
What colore and size rapala?--Also nice looking trout

johnbfishin
11-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Nice going to get on some fish Ben, on the water with your son is a good day just by it's self. 8-)

tortuga
11-24-2007, 11:17 PM
guy it was a shad imitation (grey with a red eye) I think...it was like a 3 incher (j-4?) It's hanging from the little dinks mouth if you look close.
John
It really is great to get my son out there...I think you said your daughter will fish with you but she isn't really "into it" then she caught that big one out of the Clark's Fork or something? My son is like that...he likes to cruise in the boat and hang out but today after a 8 pound trout (lol) he loves fishing.
I think you are right Frank, that trout was at least 3 pounds!!! Honest???
See you on the water
Tortuga

johnbfishin
11-25-2007, 09:22 AM
I think you said your daughter will fish with you but she isn't really "into it" then she caught that big one out of the Clark's Fork or something?

She doesn't like taking the boat, put her on a river though and she's a tough one to keep up with......she's still young though. ;) 8-)

Patrol_21
11-25-2007, 11:10 AM
I went out on the lake with my dad for a few hours yesterday (11/24) and we didn't catch a thing for a few hours of using the downrigger with various baits and lures. *

Then, we saw a boat pass by us near the spillway and I am not sure if they were showing off or what, but they caught a nice rainbow. *So, I asked what they were using and they said they were top lining with a rapala. *We promptly changed to top lining rebels and rapalas and within 30 minutes we caught 2 nice trout near the Texas Charlie drainage. *

I not sure who it was that caught that trout, but I do remember seeing Tortuga or the boat he was in, at least I think it was you by looking at the net in your pictures.

Patrol Twenty 1

tortuga
11-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Patrol that was me you talked to about top lining the Rapala! We had caught 3 in there and were just heading out to the middle. I saw you changing that rod up front and told my son you were getting set up with a Rapala. Way to go...glad you got into some. The lake is just about ready to turn over and then watch out!! The fish are so shallow right now I'm not even seeing them on my Humminbird.
Glad we could help
Tortuga and Miah (my son)

Patrol_21
11-25-2007, 01:18 PM
We didn't see much on the hummer either, just some on the bottom and few suspended every once in a while.

We caught the rainbows about a mile north, just west of the entrance to Angels Creek. It has been a hot spot for us on the last few trips to the lake.

I was using a silver J9S Rapala and my dad was using an older Rapala or Rebal that was blue-silver-yellow.

See you out there next time!

Patrol 21

twoelk48
11-25-2007, 05:32 PM
5pm just got off Mc Clure thawing out with bourbon and 7 up ;D ;D ;D. we launched today at Mc Point but South ramp at Barretts is a better choice. Game plan was 1 outfit rolling shad deep, one pulling a apex deep, 1 outfit blades and night crawlers 20 feet, 1 apex top line. This got changed to the top oout the window replaced with a night crawler at 70 feet. crawlers got hit but nothing else. Never grafted so many big fish but they are still deep deep deep (80-110 feet) We had 4 good take downs but no stickers. Water temp 63 degrees, old damn now 10 feet out of water. This is my home lake and it is the lowest that I ever boated it. Foreget Bagby as we ran to Horseshooe Bend and where the Merced River Canyon starts but it shallowed out to 8 feet and i turned it around. Way to have a fun day Ben let's stay in touch

TNT
11-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Can't wait to get out and try Melones. Went to Eagle Lake to get my fishing fix in. Other than totally cold weather, it was awesome.

steveo79
11-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Can't wait for it to light off. Melones is so close to home, I can be there in minutes. Never caught a trout there, so it will be a first. Learned something here today; been wondering how come I never "see" the fish we caught toplining at Spicer, now I know!
Now, if someone would tell me where "Texas Charlie' is, I'll be set! I've got a map, but its not listed.
Are you trolling tight to the shore, or following a area you you've spotted on your FF?

Slim
11-25-2007, 11:20 PM
Good Job. Nice time with your son !!

I bet your not ready for work tomorrow... are you?? Lets go fishin instead ;D

Slim ;)

tortuga
11-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Kent
We need to go after some Kings when they start.
Slim
I'm not even close to ready.
Steve
I don't know "Texas Charlie" and we were out in the main body trolling in and out of the spillway area.
Tortuga
Any day with my son is a good day!!!