PDA

View Full Version : Silver Lake vs. UVR

Treebeard
11-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Went to Silver on Thanksgiving evening, and Union Valley the following.

In case anyone is trying to decide between the two...

Both were windy, but UVR not quite as much.

Bank fishing with night crawlers, at both sites the bite got really good just after sunset. Fish were about the same length, 12-15", all rainbow except one brown from Silver. But, those from UVR were fatter by far! Average weight from silver was 6 oz; from Union it was a half pound.

TB

JMat
11-24-2007, 10:38 PM
Yeah it was windy...I finally talked my wife into going fishing in my 12ft Valco at UVR yesterday and when we got there I couldn't believe how windy it was. There was alot of dust blowing of the bathtub ring around the lake so we decided to leave. I had fished there the day before and caught 20+ fish in a few hours and like you said Treebeard, the fish are fat and healthy. What time did you get to UVR because I only saw a family with small kids fishing and based on one of your first posts I'm guessing that's not you. Hey, let me know the next time you'll be out there and we can troll on my little boat if you like.
JMat

Treebeard
11-25-2007, 09:20 AM
I got there at about 1pm, started out at the former cove of Big Silver Creek (now out of the water). Did some experimenting then hiked around north-westerly with my dog until nearly sunset. Didn't see any boats, just 2 people with a couple of dogs raising sand on the opposite shore.

The experimenting was to use a tennis-ball thrower to get my line out there. It worked great! except for 2 things:

1) tennis balls don't float very well after being punctured to string a line through;

1a) neither does a pvc spool of line

2) ya gotta be prepared when a big fish hits, or you may lose hold of your equipment!

So the first throw I got my line out about 100 feet or so, and the ball/float was riding a little low but that was ok. No hits for a while, so I brought it in and reconfigured things a bit, and tossed out. This time farther, nice placement; then Wham! something really took off with it and I wasn't ready for that... dropped the spool, it went down in about 8 feet of choppy muddy water. Couldn't see the tennis ball or the spool, it was all gone.

Later in the day, with a well-hooked fish on my spare line, tried to snag the lost line by steering the fish around that area, but no entanglement... maybe go back next week when the water's even lower, see what there is to see?

TB