PDA

View Full Version : Thermalito Afterbay 11-21-07 (pic's)

chicofishrmen
11-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Well I finished work early, so I decided to hit the afterbay up once again When I parked at the wilbur ave ramp, lo and belhold there was the grandmaster of the afterbay ParadisePontoon! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Smilies/worthy.gif Who said he didn't have a good day, no fish for the hour he was there. So I wasn't feelin lucky, but hey I was there so what's to lose! So I tossed out my worm under a bobber with a little pro-cure trhophy trout gel and an hour later this is what I landed.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2444/p1010002kt6.jpg

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/9729/p1010006nm1.jpg

As a refrence my rod is 5' long, so I guesstimate the fish was 20" and around 2-3 pounds. It put up a heck of a fight on my UL rod & reel spooled with 4# test. It was released healthly to fight another day!

fishpeddler1
11-21-2007, 09:09 PM
man that is a sweet looking fish compared to the worn down things getting stocked in some lakes lately. nice job!

Trout Tracker
11-21-2007, 10:20 PM
That is a nice fish and they are a kick in the pants to catch.
I will forsure be at the Monument Hill boat ramp Saturdat morning to give it another try.
Hope to see you thier.
Bob

cgagex3
11-22-2007, 06:16 AM
TT,
First off beautiful fish. I have family time today and tomorrow and then we fly away Saturday for a friends wedding :) so no fish for me until the 1st/2nd of December. :'(
A question for you or anybody that knows this little body of water. I have my pontoon or I can bank it. Am I better off going in at the small parking lot off of Wilber there where the boat ramp is, or over to the other lot south of 162 before the bridge to 99?
You said something about the monument hill ramp, I am assuming that is one of the two that I am talking about.
Thanks in advance for you opinions.
CG

TeleComCal
11-22-2007, 09:12 AM
CG:

Monument hill is the launch on the SOuth side of 162. EIther would be fine for your pontoon. Of course there are also alot of rocks to perch on near 162 for banking.

Trout Tracker
11-22-2007, 10:26 AM
CG.
If it were me i would put in at the wilbur launch.And because is you are closer to the bridge and the water thier is 15-17 feet deep.I did scope alot of fish in that area last Saturday.
Go under the bridge and turn right .I caught most of my fish in that area and will be in that same area Saturday.
Hope to see you.
Bob

camotracker
11-22-2007, 11:07 AM
she's a nice looking fish. i like the color in her. looks very healthy. congrats.

ParadisePontoon
11-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Hey Chico, it was nice to finally meet you! *I hope you and BigDave(?) do good on Saturday. *I think the bluebird day without a breath of wind wasn't helping us much. :( Wish I would've had more time to fish, but you know how that goes. * Anyway, glad to see you hooked another nice one. *Hope to see you out there again soon!
Happy Turkey Day...

- Paradise Pontoon

targa185
11-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Nice fish Chico. Great to see sniffers hooking a nice fattie. Happy Thanksgiving to all sniffers.
Targa

Dustriver
11-22-2007, 12:52 PM
What is the reasoning behind DFG not planting steelies next year? "If there is ever a write in campaign to have them stock again, I'd give my signature...."

mxdad777
11-22-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm a rookie to this body of water. Is it best to troll this area with like needle fish or use a bobber and bait? Does roe work in the afterbay? I think I might like to take out the ultra light and give it a try.

catch and release is the only way, save them for another day

chicofishrmen
11-22-2007, 07:48 PM
What is the reasoning behind DFG not planting steelies next year? *"If there is ever a write in campaign to have them stock again, I'd give my signature...." *

The DWR (Dept. of Water Resourcesm who run Oroville & the afterbay) can't stock steelies next year as there isn't any excess fish from the Feather River Hatchery. http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/cry.gif

MX,

I hitting the lake Saturday with SuperDave in his boat so I'll report afterwards re: trolling or bait fishing. However when I was banking it yesterday, I saw 2 trollers catch 3 fish to my 1, but mine was bigger than their's! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Trout Tracker
11-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Will be up there Saturday also.
I will have my Sister with me and will be looking for you and Super Dave.It would be great to meet some fellow sniffers.
Bob

mxdad777
11-22-2007, 09:24 PM
What do people usually use there when trolling? What is the hot set up?
Thanks in advance for any info. ;)

chicofishrmen
11-22-2007, 09:41 PM
TroutTracker,
Look forward to meeting you as well! Roll call, who's gonna be at the afterbay on Saturday?

MX,

From what I've heard most are using worms behind a dodger with good results, but the usual tout gear works as well i.e. needlefish etc. Me personally am going to try my lucky 2" pearl lyman, UV apex, dodger & hoochie combo, trolling flies etc. Just keep in mind, the main forage fish is the afterbay is the Japanese pond smelt, which goes about 2" long and is white with a purple hue.

Trout Tracker
11-23-2007, 06:38 AM
Chicofisherman.
It will be good to meet you and Super Dave .
I don't have a CB,but do have a walkie talkie .
I will take it and be on channel 12.
See you guy's tomorrow.
Bob

troutfan
11-23-2007, 07:29 AM
Those certainly are some beautiful fish Chicofisherman. That's what a Rainbow is suppose to look like.

fernley_tim
11-23-2007, 07:38 AM
Chicofisherman.
It will be good to meet you and Super Dave .
I don't have a CB,but do have a walkie talkie .
I will take it and be on channel 12.
See you guy's tomorrow.
Bob
trout tracker just a heads up, most people have marine radios onboard witch are a different band then c.b. chico pretty fish must have been a blast on a ultralite 8-)

Trout Tracker
11-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Mongo.
Thank you for that info.I did not know that.
See i learned something new today,and were never to old to learn.
Bob

TeleComCal
11-23-2007, 09:28 AM
On Saturday I will banking it out at the Afterbay. I will be sitting on the levee off 162 on the west side of the bridge. If anyone sees me, gray sweatshirt and camo hat, 2 poles standing up. I hope to get out there by 8 so I can fish most of the day. I look forward to any and all Sniffer's that float by to say hi. Such is the life of a banker..haha.

If no one sees me or no one cares to say " 'ello " to me, good luck and remember the pics for the posts. Maybe we need to do an Afterbay Fest one of these days, I mean the monument hill area has BBQ pits and a nice little beach for a get together. Parking for a few people. I mean a nice little get together catchin' and releasing.....Just a thought...

C-YA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trout Tracker
11-23-2007, 04:25 PM
TCC.
I will forsure float on by and say hi.
The get together thing sounds like it could be fun.
See you Tomorrow.
Bob

huggyspot
11-23-2007, 04:32 PM
:D going to have to give it a try well be out there tomarrow see yall on the water Huggy

3girlsdad
11-23-2007, 06:02 PM
I wish I could be there!!!! >:( But I have to work, nice fish chico

fishpeddler1
11-24-2007, 01:50 AM
Took a detour on the way to the folks today and drove over the afterbay. saw two boats and several bankers. didn't stop long enough to pull the rods out though. did anybody have any luck? also, what are the regs regarding the upper forebay? I see an access area off of hwy 70. is fishing allowed? and if so, how far up? or is this area not stocked ? thanks

targa185
11-24-2007, 06:48 AM
All the talk about what works here, well I caught mine on needle fish. And when I cleaned them they had crawdads inside no smelt. So I thnk alot of things will work and as far a color well your guess is as good as mine. What do you think Chico have you found any color that works better than another?
Targa

TeleComCal
11-24-2007, 07:30 AM
I cannot say anything in the lines of trolling....But as far as banking goes ( for those of us not lucky enough to own a boat :'( ) I have found that Power Bait Eggs, white has been working well. But on other areas I have nailed them on Fl. Red Chrome PB, Corn PB and Power Bait Eggs Bubblegum. I might try the worm this Chico has done...

My 6 year old is joining me today for some fishing. I hope he gets to hook and land one of these fish. WOuld be his biggest if he can hit anything over 14 inches....

See you all out there.