PDA

View Full Version : pyramid farrier frank and mongo

fernley_tim
11-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Met up with frank at crosbys today at about 7:15 we launched with wind blowing :o headed north to spider and started to troll. I did not think we would or should be on the lake for long, but we started to troll first bay above spider I hook up with a fish watermellon apex 23 otw. we trolled up to warriors with one for frank for frank we fought wind gust in ex. of 50 mph :o :o and water spouts but believe it or not seas of one to two feet :-/frank won the fish count for the day with al his fish around 5lbs will post pics tomorrow or wed of dust storms and fish ;) day one frank 5 fish tim 4 we will be back on the water about the same time tomorrow. most big fish of franks caught in 10' otw cant wait to post pics of fish and needles that you cant see because of the sand storms :o at least we were the only idgits on the lake ::) ::) :-/

Topaz_Tom
11-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Way to go guys, your braver than me, 50mph gusts, I don't think so. We'll be there Thusday & Friday, thanks for the report, can't wait to see the pics. Tom

Captain Compassion
11-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Met up with frank at crosbys today at about 7:15 we launched with wind blowing

Brave folks. The winds are an elemental force at Pyramid. Yet you got fish. I'm counting the days.

CC

fernley_tim
11-19-2007, 07:18 PM
ok ill post a couple of pics on my dial up :-/ look at the needles ::)http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/888/1001313un8.jpghttp://img409.imageshack.us/img409/4333/1001311yh9.jpg

Captain Compassion
11-19-2007, 07:25 PM
ok ill post a couple of pics on my dial up

Yet the chop on the lake is not all that high. Is it the wind direction?

CC

fernley_tim
11-19-2007, 07:40 PM
I would of never of launched frank was not up for a couple of days but surprissing enough with the wind blowing like that it was quite fishable :-?http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3632/1001319wj9.jpghttp://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7910/1001323ib6.jpg

metalmouth
11-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Looks like Blowdega out there! ;D

fernley_tim
11-19-2007, 07:45 PM
ok ill post a couple of pics on my dial up

Yet the chop on the lake is not all that high. Is it the wind direction?

CC
most of the day it was a north/west to north ive had winds blowing much less with at least five footers but today it was blowing so hard it just sem to blow across the top with alot of water spouts mixed in, wish I got couple of those pics :-[

Captain Compassion
11-19-2007, 07:56 PM
I would of never of launched *frank was not up for a couple of days but surprissing enough with the wind blowing like that it was quite fishable

I would say that that is an understatement. Nice fish guys. Once my local dunks freeze I'm there.

CC

fernley_tim
11-19-2007, 08:01 PM
tomorrow if the wind is down im taking frank up to the pinacles/needles since he has never fished that area maybe even fox bay? I told I have to get him a 30 " but it will probably be mine ;Dhttp://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1103/1001310mv6.jpg

Captain Compassion
11-19-2007, 08:12 PM
tomorrow if the wind is down im taking frank up to the pinacles/needles since he has never fished that area maybe even fox bay? I told I have to get him a 30 " but it will probably be mine ;D

Don't get the Captain too excited my Depends suppily is low. ::)

CC

fish04
11-19-2007, 08:49 PM
That one pic. looks like heading out the break water area at Monterey.
F04
Don

fernley_tim
11-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Looks like Blowdega out there! *;D
M M I think if that was blowdega we would have 20' swells with a 5 foot chop :o :o nothing an idaho man could not handle ;D

HighSierra_Drifter
11-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Way to go you guys ;) I knew Frank liked Pyramid...now I know he's ADDICTED to it ;D Catch a HOG (or two) tomorrow.

Drifter

chicofishrmen
11-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Mongo, great report but "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son" Dean Wormer, Animal House (1978) As a fat stupid drunkard to another, Chico like Mongo, so don't be a dumdarse! Who else am I'm gonna follow around at the bodega fest! Remember Mongo is only a pawn in the game of life, but

****Warning another Mel Brooks refrence******
King Louis XVI: Knight jumps queen! Bishop jumps queen! Pawns jump queen! *Gangbang*!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Poppinjay: [muffled in to megaphone] Pawn threatens bishop.
King Louis XVI: What the hell did you just say?
Poppinjay: [turning to King Louis XVI without removing the megaphone] Pawn threatens bishop.

So, you see pawns are vital to everyday life, so in summary be safe out on the lake, Mongo no like boat swamping!

Mickey_Thomas
11-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Frank 5 Tim 4 ::) We'll never hear the end of that you know ;D Don't let it happen again today please :-/ ;D ;D

vvbob
11-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Man you guys have some big downrigger balls to even launch in that stuff....
Hopefully its flatter today 8-)

CHICKFISHING58
11-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Tim,
>:(I see Frank comes to town and doesn’t even call me just because he caught a bigger fish with you shame on him bad Frank. [smiley=tongue2.gif]

Nice job Tim now I know you’re really crazy to go out in that weather :-*

fernley_tim
11-20-2007, 06:00 PM
well tody was much better light winds out of the north but a constant chop out of the north 1 to 2' we trolled bays around warriors all day I had the hot rod most of the day using frog w/red dot lyman frank caught me right before we came in :( I ended up with 9 and frank eight for the two days we were tied at 13 apeice :-/ had a great time fishing with frank even though I had to drag lead to let him catch up ;D ;D I will post some pics in a while ;)

johnbfishin
11-20-2007, 06:18 PM
well tody was much better light winds out of the north but a constant chop out of the north 1 to 2' we trolled bays around warriors all day I had the hot rod most of the day using frog w/red dot lyman frank caught me right before we came in :( I ended up with 9 and frank eight for the two days we were tied at 13 apeice

Ya didn't happen to check his hooks did ya? ;)
I'm sure you guys had a good time even though it was a bit rough the first day. ::)

fernley_tim
11-20-2007, 06:54 PM
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6595/1001324zj0.jpghttp://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7899/1001326zn2.jpghttp://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8428/1001328ev3.jpgwhat a difference a day makes 8-)http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/9357/1001329cq4.jpg

fernley_tim
11-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Mongo, great report but "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son" *Dean Wormer, Animal House (1978) As a fat stupid drunkard to another, Chico like Mongo, so don't be a dumdarse! Who else am I'm gonna follow around at the bodega fest! Remember Mongo is only a pawn in the game of life, but

****Warning another Mel Brooks refrence******
King Louis XVI: Knight jumps queen! Bishop jumps queen! Pawns jump queen! *Gangbang*!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Poppinjay: [muffled in to megaphone] Pawn threatens bishop.
King Louis XVI: What the hell did you just say?
Poppinjay: [turning to King Louis XVI without removing the megaphone] Pawn threatens bishop.

So, you see pawns are vital to everyday life, so in summary be safe out on the lake, Mongo no like boat swamping!
[smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] fat dumb and stupid is only way mongo know ;D swamping boat no good :o

fernley_tim
11-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Frank 5 Tim 4 ::) We'll never hear the end of that you know ;D Don't let it happen again today please :-/ ;D ;D
Mickey I see what you mean about franks counting skills ;) at least I count the same way ;D ;D

CHICKFISHING58
11-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Hey Tim,
Are you going out on Friday???

fpsamm
11-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Way to go guys. I dont think that I would have put the boat in with that wind. I know for a fact that my second mate (Barb) would rebel and it would be a no go.
Samm

fernley_tim
11-22-2007, 12:45 PM
here are a few more pics frank sent me
meatloaf doing some fishing of his own 8-)
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/1994/pb200144sg3.jpg
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/7093/pb200147ti1.jpg
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/8738/pb200150gt8.jpg
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/3552/pb190128gs4.jpg
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/3227/pb200152qr9.jpg

Farrier_Frank
11-22-2007, 10:36 PM
You didn't put the "Bling" photo in, Mongo. [smiley=wileecoyote.gif]

(I gave Mongo a new "Mongo" necklace (Mongo likes new, shiny bling) and in one of the photos I sent him he's got a trout in his hands, a big grin, and new bling around his neck.) [smiley=winkfs.gif]

Mongo do know how to fish, though. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I only had two days to pull this fishing trip to Pyramid off, and when I tuned into KUNR Sunday evening while driving to Crosby's from Red Rock and heard the DJ say the winds were going to be gusting to 65 mph Monday... that's about the time I started to wonder if I was going to be bank fishing. Not Mongo, though. Mongo knew we were going fishing. And right then I knew we were gonna have fun... When Mongo put the boat in the water Monday morning, the wind blowing and gusting, right in the middle of all the other boats who were pulling out and going home before they even got started, I knew we were gonna have a fun fishing trip... Mongo read the wind and knew we could fish the west side. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

When we motored around Pelican point Monday afternoon, probably about 4 o'clock, there were only two trucks parked in the desert... Mongo's truck and my truck. 8-)

We fished 9 hours Monday and at all times one of us had to be working the helm. The Pinnacles were buried under a sand storm all day long; a sand storm that kept that end of the lake under a blanket of sand a thousand feet high. But since the wind remained constant we were able to keep the boat working the bays... and when we saw a window we worked the points, too. The real key was to keep a heads-up for wind gusts. You could see them coming across the desert.... brown swirls of sand and upended tumbleweeds. And you could see the gusts hit the water; big white spouts of water heading right toward the boat. One time, when I was at the helm, I looked back at my rod and missed a sneaky 50 mph whirl wind attacking off the shore that caught the bow and sent us listing hard to starboard... and that's about the time I started appreciating how big Mongo is: ballast is a good thing in high winds. [smiley=winkfs.gif]

We caught our best fish Monday. I did, anyway... five over 5 lbs... Mongo only caught 4 planters.... *and it took 4 bloody marys at Crosby's to settle him down after losing the day to me. ::)

Tuesday was another story all together. Tuesday the cold wind hit and it was hooded sweatshirts and heavy jackets and gloves all day. We planned on going to the Needles Tuesday but the waves were rolling out of the north, no white caps just rollers, so we decided to drop our lines at Spider and troll 'till we saw a window of flat water. Didn't happen. I was driving the boat and right in front of Spider Mongo hooks up and lands the first fish of the day. I was fighting the wind, turning the corner at Spider, heading into the little cove to the north when Mongo hooks up again. I pulled the boat around the next point; the point where "Frank's" hole lies a hundred feet off the first rock, a hole I always score in. Twenty feet into my special fishing hole Mongo hooks up for number three. And then when I worked the boat through the wind so I could make the pass close to the bank by Ken's tree (Bite Me II) Mongo hooks up number 4 and number 5 [smiley=duh.gif]... that's when I knew I had to let go of the helm and start fishing. It was 5 to zip for the day, already! Really fast Mongo put the heat on. It was now 9 to 5 for the fishing trip. Not good. I had visions of skunks parading across my eyelids.

I needed to get to work. It was time to pull some tricks out of my sleeves. It was time to turn the helm over.

Mongo took the helm over Warrior point - Big mistake!! - Warrior point is a long shelf, real shallow to 30 yards off the bank. Crossing it you come from 18 feet to 4 feet real quick, and 30 yards later it drops to 18 feet again. The trick is to work the DR and bounce lead up one wall, across the top, and then let it rip down the other side when you cross... And you can't do that if your driving the boat. We were dragging frog Lyman's and my Lyman had mud stuck in it's mouth for all 4 fish I caught passing over that ledge. And Mongo was starting to get upset. His lead was gone. We were running neck and neck for the two day fishing trip and then, in the next bay, I boated one on an Apex and time was running out. The sun was setting and the battle was looking dim for Mongo. But when I caught another one off Warrior, and the count went to me 13/12 as the sun faded over the lake, I was afraid Mongo was gonna throw me off the boat. And then, just about the time we were going to call it a day, Mongo caught the tying fish... and he was happy... and I thank God for that. [smiley=worthy.gif]

We caught most of the fish on Lyman's, frog Lyman's. The best lure was Mongo's yellow belly red-dot Lyman. A couple of fish came in on Apex lures. But that's not important. What made the fishing trip so special was fishing with Mongo, a guy who shows up to go fishing... no matter what the conditions may be Mongo's going fishing. And that's just fine with me.

My hats off to you Mongo. Meatloaf and I had one fine fishing trip.[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

fernley_tim
11-23-2007, 07:18 AM
Frank had a great time fishing with you and meatloaf 8-) next time we will have to go in early when I have a lead like that ;D ;D

Mickey_Thomas
11-23-2007, 07:30 AM
next time we will have to go in early when I have a lead like that ;D ;DThat's the key mongo, leave at 10:00am if necessary ;D ;D ;D Sounds like you two had a ball, glad I wasn't there ::) ;D ;D

johnbfishin
11-23-2007, 07:37 AM
[quote]next time we will have to go in early when I have a lead like that *;D ;DThat's the key mongo, leave at 10:00am if necessary

If you want to see Frank come unglued......that'll do it! ;D ;D

Mickey_Thomas
11-23-2007, 08:27 AM
If you want to see Frank come unglued......that'll do it!Yeah, I tryed that the last time he was on my boat and he pulled a gun :-/ I had to let him keep fishing till he caught up ;D ;D ;D

johnbfishin
11-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I tryed that the last time he was on my boat and he pulled a gun :-/ I had to let him keep fishing till he caught up ;D ;D ;D

You have to be subtle, like letting him use your hot lure while you just troll a weight on the end of your line....of course if you don't care about eating dinner that day then just stay ahead on the fish count. ;) ;D ;D

Farrier_Frank
11-23-2007, 02:13 PM
You have to be subtle, like letting him use your hot lure

Don't underestimate Mongo. Monday, while I'm ahead on the fish count and the action slowed he opened his tackle box and digs out this spoon and hands it to me telling me its one of his secret lures and he wants me to catch fish on his boat. Right. [smiley=homersimpson.gif] Ten minutes go by with nothing and then his rod goes off and he lands another fish. I've got the pliers and I'm freeing the fish from the lure when it dawns on me he ain't using anything that looks like the spoon he gave me. [smiley=duh.gif]

Tuesday, with a 4 fish lead on me he notices I've got that I'm-ready-to-catch-fish look in my eye and with that straight, honest Mongo face of his he suggests I use another lure he guaranteed would catch fish. Like a fool I put it on and no sooner was it out and down and Mongo's rod goes off again and he lands another making it Mongo 5 and Frank zip. This time while I'm releasing his fish it dawns on me Mongo is pulling the wool over my eyes. Duh!! [smiley=suesscat.gif]

Had we not pulled the rods in when we did and kept fishing I'm confident Mongo would have pulled ahead on the count. He really does have the secret lure in his box... and he wasn't let me get anywhere near it. [smiley=tasman.gif]

okie
11-23-2007, 02:32 PM
ff, i am happy to hear that, i always thought he only did that with me..