PDA

View Full Version : Thermalito afterbay

3girlsdad
11-19-2007, 09:02 AM
I have been reading the reports on Thermalito afterbay, does anyone know where to go is it hwy 162? I am very happy with the fact that we have a chance to catch steelhead without the extra regulations... I will practice C@R maybe keep one. I will be there tomorrow sun up, any help would be great. I am excited to finally be able to chat with you guys :o

3girlsdad
11-19-2007, 09:11 AM
Fellow fish sniffers, Stop by and say hi, I will be out there Tues. morning with blue baseball hat and with a bald stalky fella, would love to meet some of you.

cptdarel
11-19-2007, 10:32 AM
BALD STOCKY FELLA :o
better have him wear a hat, don't want any reflectons to SCARE the fish ::)

3girlsdad
11-19-2007, 10:38 AM
That is the trick he scares them towards me

chicofishrmen
11-19-2007, 11:07 AM
If your heading east on Hwy 162 there is a ramp on the south(right) side just after your cross over the bridge that connects the 2 section sections of the afterbay. If you continue east there is also a ramp off Wilbur Ave, both spots have shore access. I've only fished the Wilbur ave ramp, so I don't know what the other one is like...

3girlsdad
11-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Thank you very much chicofishrmen, I will let you know how it goes

3girlsdad
11-19-2007, 02:40 PM
CAN YOU NIGHT FISH AT THERMALITO

TeleComCal
11-19-2007, 03:38 PM
3girlsdad:

If the weather agrees, I should be doing some shore steelie out there Tuesday myself. Chico has it down. The rocks are easy to walk down, just like a levee. No shade, like it matters this time of year... ;). Good luck and if you see a purple colored car out there, around 8 or so, that will be me. Give a shout if you see me.

Bring some light gear, LOTS of fun pulling in the fish on micro graphite rod with 6 pound test...YEEEHAAAAA!!!!!!!!

3girlsdad
11-19-2007, 03:44 PM
I will definately look for you, where about will you be?

fish10plus
11-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Where exactly is this body of water????

3girlsdad
11-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Out by Oroville

TeleComCal
11-20-2007, 07:31 AM
3girls:

Unfortunately, I won't be there today. My son decided he wanted to go catfishing instead.....So we are driving outta the area. I will be fishing there more has the weather gets colder and I don't feel like getting up at o dark thirty to go fishing ( like that will ever really happen). Hope to see you out there some time. I am one of those stalky bald guys, who ALWAYS wears a hat as not to scare the other fishermen...haha. Give us a report when you get home.

chicofishrmen
11-20-2007, 09:28 AM
CAN YOU NIGHT FISH AT THERMALITO
Yes, I think http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif I'm not sure but I think the Oroville Wildlife area closes 1 hour after susnset... Plus the wording on the reg's is confusing(to me anyways)

(2) WATERS WHERE NIGHT AND DAY FISHING IS ALLOWED, BUT NO TROUT OR SALMON MAY BE TAKEN AT NIGHT:
(D) Valley District, north of Interstate 80,
except Camp Far West Lake (Nevada,
Placer, and Yuba counties), Collins Lake
(Yuba Co. ), Oroville Lake (Butte Co.), and
Wildwood Lake (Nevada Co.).

Look forward to seein your report from today's trip!

_Gone_Fishin_
11-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Can you use two poles in the Afterbay like any other lake?

What is the limit here?.....5?

targa185
11-20-2007, 09:54 AM
The limit is Catch 5, Release 4, 1 for the BBQ .

SuperDave
11-20-2007, 12:36 PM
The limit is Catch 5, Release 4, 1 for the BBQ .

A published article said that DFG wouldn't be planting the land locked steelies here again next year so they are a finite resource and harvesting should be considered to be a minimum.

_Gone_Fishin_
11-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the info. (opinions) on the limit of fish you could/would keep. ;)

Anybody know about using two poles here or not? :-/

chicofishrmen
11-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the info. (opinions) on the limit of fish you could/would keep. *;)

Anybody know about using two poles here or not? *:-/

Yes, you can use 2 pole there.

fshn_4vr
11-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Hey Chico, what kind of depths are out there? Seems to me like it would be rather shallow...

chicofishrmen
11-20-2007, 01:23 PM
I haven't been out on my boat yet, but others have reported it's about 17' deep. I'll let you know for sure after this Sat.

SuperDave
11-20-2007, 01:56 PM
I haven't been out on my boat yet, but others have reported it's about 17' deep. I'll let you know for sure after this Sat.

At which point he'll still not been out in his boat yet. ;D

Trout Tracker
11-20-2007, 06:09 PM
I was at the Afterbay this past Saturday and found it to be not as deep as i thought it would be for the size that it is.
It goes any where from 4-18 feet deep and once you go there you will see what i mean.It's weird.
Under the bridge and the levy across from the docks is the deepest.I trolled leadcore and it was kinda hard to keep it at one certain depth,so i stayed between one color and a color and a half out.
I agree that keeping only one fish if that would be the right thing to do.I just had a blast catching and releaseing the fish,But i did keep 1.
Plus i did pinch the barbs on my hooks.

Bob

BrownMeat
11-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Yeah - normally - I try and limit at all lakes - and keep if I haven't fished in a while. I wouldn't want to run out of trout or anything. . . hahaha. However, because there is a limited amount of GREAT fish in the Afterbay- keeping 1 for the grill is an excellent idea. I only keep 1 and if I catch more - let them go or give 1 away to a fishing buddy that may not have gotten one.

It would be great to be able to extend the action at the Afterbay - this is a new great spot - and it would be awesome to be able to fish it successfully for a long while - especially since they are not stocking next year.

-BTW- I got one today ;)

Trout Tracker
11-21-2007, 06:35 AM
Brownmeat.
Glad to hear that you caught one.I agree with you that if this fishery is fished right the fish will be there for a good number of years.
And i know that since thier won't be another plant for awhile the females that spawn will kinda keep it going.
I just know that catching a fish like that is worth every bit of the catch and release program along with useing barbless hooks.
Bob

targa185
11-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Yes indeed Use Barbless. These Fish don't survive if they bleed so do your best to preserve this spot. Has anyone found a good spot where the weeds aren't so bad. I fish out of Wilbur road area. What about by th bridge How is it over there? I hope everyone can get to the Afterbay My kids love it
Targa

3girlsdad
11-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Well, I finally made it to the afterbay. Thank you everyone for the info.
We started fishing from the bank at 162 bridge at sunrise, but not knowing really where and how to fish out there we were there for about 3 hrs. But unfortunately no bites.
I plan on putting some time in out there, and hooking into some Steelies eventually, thrill of the hunt :'(

targa185
11-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Hey 3girlsdad,
Let me know and we can go in my boat. I have had great luck out there and would love to let a fellow sniffer get into the action. I lve in Yuba City so Im close.
Targa

3girlsdad
11-21-2007, 11:28 AM
I would love it!!! let me know when you are going and I will try and juggle work,kids etc... you know all the other stuff that comes after fishing haha

targa185
11-22-2007, 11:46 AM
yes I will. want to get out next week let me know if a day works best for you.
targa