PDA

View Full Version : Thermalito Afterbay

Trout Tracker
11-17-2007, 06:38 PM
After reading the posts and seeing the pictures of the fish I braved the foggy drive this morning to the Oroville area.
I had no problem launching my small boat,but i did find out that the water in the Afterbay isn't very deep.17 feet was the deepest spot i found.
Was on the water at 6:30-7:00 and headed straight for the bridge.
Put a watermelon dodger crawler on my toplineing pole and a copper silver dodger crawler on the lead core pole.
Not thinking that i was going to catch anything in 14feet of water i sorta wasen't paying attention when my leadcore set up was almost jerked out of the boat.
I feel one heck of a tug,see this fish jump about 5-6 times and hold on for dear life.
Every time i got it close to the boat it would rip line.This happend a few times and after taking my time i finally netted it.
It was a land locked stellhead that paridise pontoon has posted about.
The fish was fat and about 20-22 inches long and just an awsome fish to catch.
This one i put in the ice chest and took home.
I did hook up a few more times and released them.I also had a few LDRs as i was useing a barbless hook.
What blew me away was how agressive they hit when they did.I mean you best be holding on to your pole or have a good pole holder.They are a great fighting fish and fun to just catch.
I may make another trip Saturday after Thanksgiving.
Had a great day,caught some awsome fish.What a life.
I want to thank Paridise Pontoon for the tip.
Bob

chicofishrmen
11-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Trout Tracker, many thanks for the detailed report! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif Next time take your camera though!! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif You're right though, no hesitation with these guys, I was bankin it half-heartedly the other day soaking a worm under a bobber and it didn't bounce, just went under (kinda like Jaws, when the put the 1st barrel in him)! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif Thanks again for the report, we (SuperDave & I) will also be out Sat. after T-day!
I wonder in water that shallow if sideplaners would help, Dave bring the painter pole outriggers and your smelt imitation mini lymans! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif

Trout Tracker
11-18-2007, 06:52 AM
chicofisherman
All the fish i caught were off the leadcore set up.And it was like jaws when they would hit.I can just imagine what it would be like with a bobber,i may try it next trip.Even with the leadcore line they fought hard and ripped line.
Other than the depth of the water being realey incosistant i found that alot of weeds and grass were floating everywhere.
But i still had a blast.
Bob

TeleComCal
11-18-2007, 07:06 AM
Time for my 2 cents worth. Since I only bank fish, except for a couple, the majority of these brutes I have caught the strike was very subtle, a little nod or 2 and then slack line. But afte that...FIGHT ON!!! Great job Trout and thanks for the report.

targa185
11-18-2007, 07:06 AM
Heyy T.T. Great post. I have been serval times and noticed that the top water stuff does not work as weel as getting down a bit. when factoryphoto and I wentwe caught fish with a split shot rig and I have been using downriggers at 8 to 10 feet. I might be out sat after T-day as well. Look for stars on a blk and silver tracker and channel 69.
Thanks
targa

SuperDave
11-18-2007, 07:46 AM
TT how many colors were out on your lead core rig & speed?

Trout Tracker
11-18-2007, 10:16 AM
I forsure will be looking for the boat with the stars.My boat is a 14ft Valco with a 15hp evenrude so i hope to see you.
I did try a split shot on a watermelon dodger crawler set up on my toplineing set up but i guess the fish didn't like that side of the boat.The speed chart on my finder isn't real accurate but said i was trolling 1-3 .
I know that when i troll i go as slow as the motor will allow without quitting.
Because the depth of the afterbay is NOT real consistant in any one spot i was out 1to 1 1/2 colors.But i do have 10-12 feet of floroclear tied to the lead core.i did find that i was reeling in and letting out line as the depth would vary.
I still can't get over the rush of catching them fish.

Bob

spaznitro
11-19-2007, 07:58 AM
Do you have to have a steelhead card/stamp for fishing in the Afterbay?

ParadisePontoon
11-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Spaznitro, no you don't need the card for fishing this body of water, just a valid CA fishing license.
- Paradise Pontoon

cgagex3
11-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Paradise or anyone for that matter,
A question for you. I may come up that way on the 1st or 2nd. I have my pontoon or I can bank it. Am I better off going in at the small parking lot off of Wilber there where the boat ramp is, or over at the lot south of 162 before the bridge to 99?
It seems like there are quite a few little dirt roads out to some of the points where I could put in also.
Thanks in advance for you opinions.
CG

targa185
11-21-2007, 10:05 AM
T.T. I look for you do you have a radio for channel 69

Trout Tracker
11-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Targa.
No i do not have a radio.Not enough room in my 14ft Valco for all those kind of goodies.
But i do have a set of Cobra walkie talkies and the highest it goes is to channel 14.
Bob