PDA

View Full Version : Union Valley Trout are Awesome!!!!

CODIII
11-19-2007, 10:20 AM
My friend Ryan and I got early yesterday (11/18) and headed up to Union Valley Res. We were on the water by 7 am. I was using lead core line and Ryan was using a downrigger. It was his boat and we only had one down rigger so he got to have all the fun with that. I also brough my fly rod so that we could float a fly behind us in hopes of getting some top water action. Here is how the day went

On the water at 7, the lake is pretty low but we were able to launch with out any problem.

We got out first hit at 8:30. I was troling and 2" white power grub about 24" behind a chrome dodger. I had about 2.5 colors out on the lead core so I think I was about 15 feet down. Nice 13" rainbow.

Then at 11:00 and again at 11:20 two rainbows hit the fly on the top water. What a great fight they gave us on my 3 weight fly rod. The lake was as flat as ice so the top water fly must have looked great to them. The surprising thing was that both fish hit the top water fly right in the middle of the lake in about 160 feet of water.

At about 12:00 is when the bite just took off!! We caught our 4 biggest fish between 12:00 and 2:00 all about 20 feet deep tolling a 2" power grub of various colors and either a chrome or a chrome and green dodger.

All in all we caught 5 bows and 2 macks with the biggest at 3.5 lbs

The weather was great all day with a high around 65 degrees. All fish were caught in the top 20 feet of water. The water temp was between 55 to 57 degrees.

We kept the 2 macks for dinner and released the bows for another day. All of the pics are on ryans camera but I hope to post them later tonight if i can.

Bent Pole [smiley=beer.gif]

SuperDave
11-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Nice report. I've always wanted to fish UVR but have yet to do so. Guess I'd better get on it.

Mickey_Thomas
11-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Guess we can go Monday if you want Dave ;) I usually wait till January and target the Macks though ;) Nice report Bent Pole, which launch did you use? Sunset or by the dam?

CODIII
11-19-2007, 11:10 AM
I used the one by the dam. This was my first time to UVR so I dont know the name of the other boat launch but there was another one open on the other side of the lake although I could not tell you how to drive there.

You guys should go soon. Yesterday was one of the best trout days I have had this year. I am going to get back there after thanksgiving weekend

Good Luck

SalmoClarki
11-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Hopefully the weather will hold out this week. I'm planning on going there Sat. on dawn patrol for some browns and macks.

CODIII
11-19-2007, 11:36 AM
This sounds crazy to me and I just wanted to know if anyone else has heard the same thing -

Some guy at the boat ramp on sunday told me that the Macks in UVR eat some sort of fresh water snake. He claims to have a friend that designed a snake imitation lure that is about 8-10 inches long and he said that he just kills the macks with it. I know fish eat all sorts of crazy stuff but I have never heard of this one. I didnt even know there were any snakes in that lake.

Do you think this might be some sort of fish tale? [smiley=huh.gif]

SuperDave
11-19-2007, 03:36 PM
How many Macks feed on the surface? I don't think you'll find water snakes at depth. The action of that "snake lure" might catch fish though.

CODIII
11-19-2007, 03:43 PM
That is true. I doubt any snakes go underwater. I was just wondering if anyone had heard the same thing

metalmouth
11-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Macs love double jointed lures. The do look like a snake swiming through the water though they are painted to "match the hatch."

fenton_chris
11-19-2007, 05:22 PM
this the most likly of snake for them to eat. the western aquatic gater snake its most abundant at the higher evlevations 3000ft to 8000 and it loves water. most likly hybernating right now.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/7818/snakeqw7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/7818/snakeqw7.jpg

other then fishing i know snakes ;). i dont know if they go down very deep, i usually see them near shore while banking it or along rivers. deepest i ever seen them while swimming is like 10 to 15ft down. they eat small fish, frogs, eggs, crawdads and bugs. who knows. has anyone ever gutted a mack and found one in the belly????

tcbritton
11-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Hey now they just found a toad in the loc ness at 300 ft depth ;) alive and well

metalmouth
11-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Here is the snake that catches those fish.

Double Jointed Assassin (http://bettencourtbaits.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=28&osCsid=e38d3a3d7c1 d0fdf5ad54478c28814d4)

SuperDave
11-19-2007, 06:54 PM
http://bettencourtbaits.com/store/images/assassin.jpg

CODIII
11-20-2007, 09:39 AM
That is some great info. I wish I had seen the lure that this guy was talking about. I would have a better idea of what it looked like.

Of those assassin lure I saw a COW one. I have never seen a cow snake in the water. That kind of makes you wonder - Do they make lures to catch peoples eyes or to catch fish?

Just a thought!!!

Pyramid_Kid
11-20-2007, 06:44 PM
those assassin lure I saw a COW one. I have never seen a cow snake in the water. That kind of makes you wonder - Do they make lures to catch peoples eyes or to catch fish?

Just a thought!!!

Yes, to both of your questions. ;)

metalmouth
11-20-2007, 06:49 PM
I own a "few" just not in cow! ;) :o 8-)

FishGone
11-20-2007, 07:18 PM
I wonder how that cow colored assasin would do at Amador...Those fish love white patterned lures! *

fenton_chris
11-20-2007, 11:01 PM
i've yet to really catch anything on those yet!! of the 4 i've bought, i got one 20in brown over 2 yrs. one got stuck at hell hole one at stampede another somewhere else. all i got left is the 12in brown trout one, still nothing!!!! >:(

fish_lips
11-21-2007, 07:57 AM
Mabey the are try to immitate the garder snakes. I see them alot at jackson meadows. I also use them at lake Hennessey a 18 in Black and red and yellow rubber worm the bass just love them.