PDA

View Full Version : Saturday, Sunset at Beardsley

Slim
11-18-2007, 09:05 AM
I hit the water about 2:00 in the afternoon. It was windy but not too bad on the water.

The afternoon started out frustration enough. I pushed out into the water on the Pontoon tube, went to turn on the fish finder, only to find that the batteries were dead. Turn around and took the finder back to the truck. Then I got back out on the water, but I couldn’t get one fin on, the straps were too tight. Took off the straps to adjust, dropped the straps and it is *now on the bottom of the lake. Tried to kick without it, kept kicking the fin off, fortunately they float. So cut off a piece of rope and tied it around the ankle. That worked.

“Ok now, let’s begin to have fun. Isn’t that the reason for being out here” I thought to myself.

I threw out the fly line with a black clouser,(oh, by the way I bought a cheep $20 flyrod at Walmart, It did ok) and threw the spin rod out with a BBR . Trolling the two lines while I was oaring back towards the river mouth. Within a couple of minutes *I had a 14 bow on the clouser. Never caught anything on the BBR, changed it to a regular rapalla, (nada), Then changed it to a lure I found a while ago stuck on a log. Not sure what it is?? (Banjo minnow??) That lure caught a nice 16” bow and I missed a couple of hits on that. But the Black Clouser was a hit. I caught 9 bows off of that.

Black Clouser
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Beardsley/11%2017%2007/BlackClouser1.jpg

Mistery Minnow???
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Beardsley/11%2017%2007/minnow.jpg

So the catchin *made up for the tough start. The fish were stacked up in the river canyon. *At the end of the evening, pods upon pods of trout were crusing the surface, it was crazy.

Also while being in there I spotted the resident Bald Eagle. He landed in a tree up the hill and sounded like he wasn’t too happy I was in there. Oh well ;)

Heading towards the river canyon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Beardsley/11%2017%2007/111707upriver2485.jpg

Looking towards the lake.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Beardsley/11%2017%2007/fromriverlookingout1485.jpg

Sunset
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Beardsley/11%2017%2007/sunset5.jpg
Half Moon
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Beardsley/11%2017%2007/moon1cropped.jpg

Slim

Captain Compassion
11-18-2007, 09:19 AM
I hit the water about 2:00 in the afternoon. It was windy but not too bad on the water.

Love the pics and the story. Way to improvise. Were there many fishing the water?

CC

tortuga
11-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Way to go Slim...sounds like a great day on the water.
Tortuga

Manteca Steve
11-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Hey Slim
Tks for the pics & information. I know the water level is lower than boat ramp, how hard is it to launch now. Pretty hairy even with 4x4.

Slim
11-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Love the pics and the story. Way to improvise. Were there many fishing the water?

CC

There was a boat leaving the water when I got there. Otherwise I had the whole lake to myself.

Slim

Slim
11-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Hey Slim
Tks for the pics & information. I know the water level is lower than boat ramp, how hard is it to launch now. Pretty hairy even with 4x4.

I was able to drive to the water's edge & back out without putting the truck in 4X4. But if you need to drive the boat trailer into the water ... well... that's another story.

Slim

chicofishrmen
11-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Slim,
Great pic's and report! That's a prety lake! That mystery minnow is very interesting, a super grub! I need some of those! Any idea who makes it? Again great report Slim, where have you been the last 6 months?

Slim
11-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Slim,
Great pic's and report! That's a prety lake! That mystery minnow is very interesting, a super grub! I need some of those! Any idea who makes it? Again great report Slim, where have you been the last 6 months?

Last six months?? Hu?? I've been kickin around the Striper Board I guess......(?)....

I don't even know what that lure is, much less, who makes it. Sorry.

Slim

steveo79
11-19-2007, 05:58 PM
We were about to discover the same thing about the fish at Spicer, that you found at Beardsley. Fish had moved. Beadsley and Spicer seem like the same lake, in a sense, with just an altitude difference. Beardsley would be perfect, if only the trout didn't have the damn parasites....

HOOF
11-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Those are great pics--I will hopefully get up there this weekend in The Tug....also did you get any browns?Or all bows?

rossie3011
11-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Slim,
Any chance you noticed if the gate to the afterbay was open? I've been trying to get a trip in before the snow closes the road.

HOOF
11-20-2007, 08:09 PM
if the gate to beardsley is open the gate to the afterbay will be since Tri Dam took over from the USFS as far as closures

Slim
11-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Slim,
Any chance you noticed if the gate to the afterbay was open? I've been trying to get a trip in before the snow closes the road.

I didn't look but it should be open. One Problem though!!! The Afterbay is junk this year !!!!!!!!! >:( >:( They lower the water 3 1/2 to 4 feet down in the morning and bring it back up 4 feet in the afternoon every day. It killed the fishin in there. I think because of the Drought conditions they are trying to keep as much water as they can.???? The lake is better if you can head up canyon!!

sLIM

Slim
11-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Those are great pics--I will hopefully get up there this weekend in The Tug....also did you get any browns?Or all bows?

Caught all bows... I did take 3 home for dinner. I check their stomach to see what they are eating. They were filled, I mean filled, with fresh water shrimp !! Not much else.

Slim

Slim
11-20-2007, 08:40 PM
* *We were about to discover the same thing about the fish at Spicer, that you found at Beardsley. *Fish had moved. *Beadsley and Spicer seem like the same lake, in a sense, with just an altitude difference. *Beardsley would be perfect, if only the trout didn't have the damn parasites....

You know, they stopped stocking the Bows for a couple of years to , hopefully, get rid of the parasites. But .... A couple that I caught had them. They even stocked the lake with Brookies for a while. I caught a few Brookies a few years ago....but all Bows this time.

Slim

HOOF
11-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Whats interesting is that I notice every time I go to Beardsley summer,fall,spring..6 of 10 trout caught in the top 10 feet of water have parasites. But any bow 35 feet or more it is like 1 out of 20..Maybe when they get older they go deeper?(all the ones caught deeper are larger) or maybe hatchery fish planted in catchable sizes could be the worst things out there being how suseptible to disease they are...hmmm