PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle * *11/16/07

FISHRITE
11-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Hey Sniffers...........
was at del valle 1st thing in morning started off trolling and my buddy
nailed a nice 3.5 lbs *trout off a silver and blue kastmaster. Saw lots of fish jumping i was using a rapala got some hits but never landed a fish
there out there

tragedyspring
11-16-2007, 07:04 PM
went for the evening bite. and was not disappointed :Dhttp://img444.imageshack.us/img444/5098/1116071537jq1.jpg

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/15/1116071444rj1.jpg

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/5969/1116071748vu7.jpg

the big one was 26" and just shy of 6 lbs. Headed to the smoker. The little guy was dinner, and measured 14 inches long. Del Valle kicks out fish like this all the time for me. they were caught toplining with a red wedding ring/worm combo. I fished from 2pm to 5pm right in front of the marina to the narrows in about 20 ft of water. In addition to these two- i caught and released 4 others and lost maybe 5 or 6 strikes. it was a beautiful afternoon- also there were a lot of other boats to share it with. I didnt see any other sniffers though. Ill be out there Sun with my brother Andrew the Skunk.

Hooked
11-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Great Job, tragedyspring!
gotta luv DVL.

Aquick question though, cause I'm kindda new to the lingo. When you say "20 ft of water," do you mean 20 ft depth or 20 ft distance from shore?

troutseeker
11-16-2007, 11:01 PM
sweet fish good job

camotracker
11-16-2007, 11:23 PM
verey nice bud.

Old_School
11-16-2007, 11:57 PM
Where are all these monsters coming from?
Nice job!
I think he means 20 ft deep

Troutoholic
11-17-2007, 01:16 AM
hey tragedyspring that is a beaut! wish i could make it sunday...

Schu
11-17-2007, 04:36 AM
East Bay Rec sure does spoil us :)

johnbfishin
11-17-2007, 04:37 AM
I was going to go Sunday but I was asleep by 8:00pm last night and up at 3:30 this am...... I might as well go fishing ::) 8-).

tragedyspring
11-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks guys- by 20 ft of water- I mean the depth of water i was trolling over. All fish were caught friday toplining. About 50 yards from shore. going 1.0 to 1.8 mph I HOPE IT DOESNT RAIN ON SUNDAY.

johnbfishin
11-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Skunked again! On the water by 6:15 and headed to the dam to troll apexes and rapalas for nada. I saw Woody on the water and talked to him, as of my pulling out he hadn't had any luck either.

I heard some radio chatter on 69 and I asked if they were fishsniffers- "no, fish catchers" was the reply.
Turns out they were with NCKA (Northern California Kayakers Association). They didn't have a whole lot to say to me, then I realized it's probably pretty difficult to paddle a kayak, fish and talk on the radio. ;D

judge whoppner
11-17-2007, 11:19 AM
I Also fished 11/16 with red wedding ring and Rapala's. 3 fish all in the 3# range, all caught on the wedding ring. 2 fish in the narrows and 1 at the dam. Most strikes in the narrows to the marina.

Also bait fished several areas without a single strike.

This was my first time trolling and thanks to all of you that gave me tips on how to get started. I still have a question though. Once fish is on, what do I do with the engine? I was fishing by myself. I found it very hard to steer/control boat and fight/land the fish. I put the boat in Neutral but then my remaining line got tangled as the wind and the pull of the fish pushed the boat in circles. I was in a tiller controlled rental. Any tips?

Also, the rental I was in had a brand new motor and idled beautifuly although probably faster than desired. Since I can't get the boat to go any slower, what lures are optimal at a faster than desired speed? Thanks in advance. :D

JW

tragedyspring
11-17-2007, 12:03 PM
some people bring a five gallon bucket( or 2 sometimes) and a piece of rope and tow the bucket behind the boat, thus slowing you down. I used to have the same problems with rentals, i found that if you keep switching up speeds by putting it in neutral and "coasting" for 10 seconds or so you will get a strike if a fish has been following your lure. also, especially at del valle- not trolling in a straight line is important too. Wide S curves produce more fish because you troll more area. find penninsulas and points/droffoffs to troll across. if you get a hit, dont keep trolling away from the area, immediately rebait,(if using worms, etc.) and turn around and troll right back over the same area from the same direction as before. the fish will be on a trolling pattern- sometimes they wont hit lures that are coming from the wrong direction. Find the direction, speed and presentation of the day, and youll be into the fish.
As for controlling the boat by yourself while landing a fish, well. its kind of an art in itself. Dont use super long leaders, its hard to net a large fish when you have a swivel preventing you from reeling any more line in while bending down with the net to try and land the fish. I just try to keep the boat at trolling speed going straight out of the way of the other fisherman with my knee or foot( ican stand in my boat) I just have a tiller steerer too. If its a really big fish I ll just say screw the other line and put it in neutral. better to deal with the wind in neutral VS a big one than driving into another boat/shore etc. some say to turn into the fish, but ive lost fish this way, i just try to stay calm and not fall in the water . hahah
It takes some practice. If possible go with someone- its more enjoyable,( IMO) and they can help steer for that big one, and even net the sucker too. Some of the larger fish I ve caught , I gotta give it up to my cousin who usually nets for me. I SUCk at netting. I lost a 5+ pounder for a buddy while fishing at PYRAMID a few weeks ago. Net hit the lure and got caught up. Fish went SPLASH right back into the water. then we sat in silence except for the motor running for about ten good minutes. :'( needless to say I still havent lived it down.

fishmaster
11-19-2007, 06:22 AM
I troll an average of 3.0 miles an hour with rapalas and do quite well.

Schu
11-19-2007, 06:43 PM
I troll an average of 3.0 miles an hour with rapalas and do quite well.

Thats fast :D

tragedyspring
11-19-2007, 08:57 PM
i agree. those are some aggresive fish youre catching. good job though.