PDA

View Full Version : Kirkwood lake?

joshc40
11-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Has anyone fished Kirkwood lake recently? I was looking at a map of Caples and saw this tiny lake right above it. Kirkwood probably contains all the types of fish Caples does because they are connected. Just wanted to see if fishing there is okay. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks and God bless.

Josh

tragedyspring
11-17-2007, 11:39 AM
whenever im up there i always wonder about that lake, and lake margaret. Do these lakes have large trout too?

Phishinfool2
11-17-2007, 12:25 PM
I am not sure about large trout but I do know that people fish the lakes. I saw a post or two within the last two years about both, rumor has it both are a bit of a hike through a trail that gets covered with brush but is fairly easy to travel, as I recall the hike is about 1/2 to 3/4 quarters of a mile.
Best of luck and report back if you do go though the ice is coming soon (yea right so is winter I think!)

Jimbo

untalan1
11-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Hello Joshc40,I've past by that way and stopped in to take a look on my way up to my place in Gardnerville this summer.It' a very small lake and from what I've read in Tom Stienstras Calif. fishing book it is lightly planted with 10" to 12" bows.He rates it a number 4 on a 1 to 10 lake.There are a number of Alpine lakes in the area that are pretty could prospects this time of year as long as the weather permits.I fished Caples, Red and Indian creek last weekend and did pretty well considering I got snowed on.Efren

MattMan
11-17-2007, 02:26 PM
I saw a post or two within the last two years about both, rumor has it both are a bit of a hike through a trail that gets covered with brush but is fairly easy to travel, as I recall the hike is about 1/2 to 3/4 quarters of a mile.
As for Kirkwood Lake, I haven't been there in years but unless things have changed you can drive down right to the lake. There are cabins on the lake as well. The turnoff is on the right, just up the road heading west from the Kirkwood Meadows Ski Area entrance road. ;)

Sutter_Creek
11-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Kirkwood is planted once or twice a year with DFG rainbows. Find deep water you can catch all you want. 20 yrs. ago it was all brookies. No more.

atavuss
11-17-2007, 07:26 PM
another lake you can drive right up to almost is Wood's Lake just up the road a few miles from Kirkwood. the Woods lake sign is probably taken down by now for the season though.

joshc40
11-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the all the info guys. I didn't think I would get very many responses because its such a small lake. Was I wrong. Probably going to try and tube there the next time we go to Caples. Every goes to Caples except for me and maybe my friend Kevin. Anyone know if tubing is allowed at this lake? Its kind of small so boats probably aren't allowed but tubing should be if I am not mistaken. Thanks for all the information again and God bless.

Josh