PDA

View Full Version : any big fat trout?

hookeyjaw
11-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Anybody been to lake natoma?, the behemoths should be coming out soon.

hopevalleyfisher
11-11-2007, 12:40 PM
you know, I live around the corner from there, and have fished it many times never catching anything bigger than a 10" bass. Whats the story with that lake. You are talking about right above the Nimbus dam, right? my buddy even had 10 days off and spent every day there with only 2 small trout to show.

hookeyjaw
11-11-2007, 09:15 PM
try trolling silver and black rapalas from the folsom bridge all the way up to the cable crossing the river that says you cant go any further. I have had more luck trolling upstream, but have also caught them trolling down. I have landed many a big trout 5+ pounds, my biggest from this lake was 13lbs. A friend of mine caught a 15 pounder a couple of years ago, Ive seen bigger fish cruising the shoreline upriver between december and april. Also once you get up near the cable, if you can anchor (sometimes it is pretty hard with the current), and throw night crawlers or power bait with a 1/2 oz or bigger sliding sinker, and 4-8 feet of leader(to keep your bait off the bottom. You might have to go a few times until you catch fish, but when you do it is usually a fatty. This lake is by no means a easy lake to fish, but if you put in your time, you will be rewarded. I've been fishing lake natoma for 20 years, and sometimes I go a few trips without a fish.

hopevalleyfisher
11-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Nice. Thanks for the tips. do you use sinkig or floating rapalas? I know up in the mountaians the brown trout floating rapalas have been working. I still go to natoma once in a while cause I know there has to be fish there. I ll try the silver and black even though Imma 9er fan.