PDA

View Full Version : More Thermalito Afterbay Steelhead ! (w/ PICS)

ParadisePontoon
11-06-2007, 01:41 PM
I had such a good time last Friday fishing the Thermalito Afterbay so decided to try fishing for the landlocked steelhead again. *I got an early start and was on the water at 7am. *There was absolutely no wind, and the water had dropped about 4 or 5 feet since I last went. *There were 3 beavers playing on the other side of the lake...
Here's one splashing around...
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Gary223/AfterbaySteeliesNov6001Custom.jpg

So off I go in seek of some fish. *Water temperature had also dropped to 54 degrees. *My first fish was a nice male that measured 19 inches. ;D
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Gary223/AfterbaySteeliesNov6003Custom.jpg

Half an hour later came this female 17 incher...
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Gary223/AfterbaySteeliesNov6005Custom.jpg

I had 2 others that were about 16" and lost both right at the boat. :'( *There were 4 other boats out today. *Two guys in prams came out as I was leaving and said they had tried the Forebay but hadn't even got a bite. *One lady had one on, but I guess she lost her fish near the boat as well. *Overall a great, warm day on the water! *
Here I am in the parking lot...
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Gary223/AfterbaySteeliesNov6008Custom.jpg

Here's a view towards the Wilbur Road launch area...
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Gary223/AfterbaySteeliesNov6006Custom.jpg

Three of the fish took woolly buggers, and 1 was on a callibaetis nymph.

- Paradise Pontoon

vvbob
11-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Man what Fatties....
Nice pic's PP

TroutWagon
11-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Nice fish!!!super fat, were you trolling or fly fishing?

Thanks for the report
Rich

Factoryphoto.com
11-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the report heading there in the morning give it a shot.. Hopefully I can get some nice ones.

garrett_s
11-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Nice fish!!!super fat, were you trolling or fly fishing?

Thanks for the report
Rich
i think he was fly fishing

Goodtimes
11-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Nice fat fish Pontoon!! Visited the hatchery today and saw some fish in the 8-10lb. class. Wonder how big these will get over the next few years? Sure have grown since we fished them earlier in the year.

Goodtimes

ParadisePontoon
11-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Good luck to Factory Photo as he takes his kid out there today. Hope to see some pics when they get home! :) Troutwagon, I was slow trolling with a fly rod, using a sinking line. Thanks, guppy!

- Paradise Pontoon

fishinFireman
11-07-2007, 02:51 PM
great catch!!

fishguts
11-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Is there a size limit to the type of boat that can be launched there?
I've driven by it on the way to Oroville and thought about it knowing about the plants that have been happening. Guess its time to take at least one trip up there. Its too far for repeat trips.

camotracker
11-07-2007, 03:06 PM
she's a fatty. congrats to that football looking thing ;)

stonesfan
11-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Hey Pontoon, are those WILD, or Hatchery raised? They sure look healthy. The area that you're fishing, is that close to Oroville?

Only been up that way once, and not quite sure of the area.........

Thanks

stonesfan [smiley=rollingstones.gif]

fish-ornot
11-08-2007, 06:59 AM
I was wondering what happened to the post I made yesterday on this subject. Can someone explain why it was removed?

chicofishrmen
11-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Is there a size limit to *the type of boat that can be launched there?
I've driven by it on the way to Oroville and thought about it knowing about the plants that have been happening. Guess its time to take at least one trip up there. Its too far for repeat trips.
FG,

I drove by the Wilbur ramp yesterday to check it out, and the ramp is in good shape I don't think you would have any problems launching.

RonM
11-08-2007, 09:26 AM
I was wondering what happened to the post I made yesterday on this subject. Can someone explain why it was removed?

I never saw it so I'm no sure what post you are referring to...

chicofishrmen
11-08-2007, 11:42 AM

Wasn't me either... Didn't see it, so I can't tell you why.

fish-ornot
11-09-2007, 07:49 AM
I simply wanted to inform the many out of the area anglers who will be converging on this waterway soon as a result of this post. These fish were planted last november as a experiment to try and establish a cold water fishery in the afterbay. They really didn't know if these fish would migrate somewhere else due to instincts or if they would take to this water. My wife and I have been enjoying these spirited fish for sometime. I want everyone to catch these amazing fish as they will provide amazing leaps, drag pulling runs and they are very willing biters. My concern is that this fishery is not run as the put and take variety. There has been very little pressure on these fish and that is soon to change. The females do have eggs and the males are developing the hook jaw and spawning colors. I do believe this is going to be a success. I am suggesting that you only keep 2 fish rather than the 5 the law allows. I have tremendous respect for these fish as they are truly unique. I just hope that many of you will photograph and release these fish to reproduce and thrive and provide lots of excitement for those that target them.

chicofishrmen
11-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Well this news certainly doesn't help the situation! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/sad.gif

See continued, "We will not be planting steelhead in the Thermalito Afterbay next year due to a lack of surplus steelhead at the Feather River Hatchery this year. The afterbay steelhead stocking program is dependent upon having a surplus of steelhead at the FRH, which means numbers of steelhead above what is required for stocking in the Feather River itself (450,000 yearlings).

"However, we do intend to stock them in 2009, assuming that we have surplus fish in 2009. The FRH will make attempts to acquire enough eggs in 2009 for Thermalito Afterbay stocking purposes."

http://www.chicoer.com/sports/ci_7411841

tragedyspring
11-09-2007, 04:48 PM
that is not good news :'( we should probably practice catch and release there ;)

TeleComCal
11-10-2007, 08:51 AM
C&R Landlocked Steelhead....Works for me. I just took one 18 incher on Thursday and released another 16 incher. These fish are amazing to fish for, the fight is sooooo much fun with light tackle ( I like to use my son's 4'6" Micro Grpahite with 4 pound pound line ). I will no be making sure ( since I have actually landed a few migrated Rainbows ( Rainbow snot Hatchery Steelhead without the amidorsal fin )) to release any Steels for awhile.

I guess I will add the request to fish-ornot. lets do our best as loclas to keep these wonderful fish thriving in our area. Lets see if we as the fishing people of this wonderful area, keep it on the go. It is up to everyone to decide what they will do according to the "Laws", but a plea goes out to try and limit the amounttaken home, just to keep these fish available for many years to come. They have the room to grow big and many feeder fish are in the Afterbay and if allowed they will become large. I also understand that if we don't catch them at all, it would impact the other warm water species found there. But since no plants are expected until 2009, lets do our part.

Just my opinion, be it right or wrong.

troutfan
11-10-2007, 10:13 AM

Wasn't me either... Didn't see it, so I can't tell you why.
I don't recall that one either.

fishguts
11-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Hey Chico, thanks for the reply on the ramp.

svtfish
11-10-2007, 04:22 PM
can you use a gas powered boat there?

ParadisePontoon
11-10-2007, 05:34 PM
SVTFISH, you can use whatever you want. Just watch out for the drag boats! :) Water level is back up for now...

- Paradise Pontoon

chicofishrmen
11-10-2007, 10:13 PM
PP,
Just curious have you caught any "bows" in the afterbay? I know they stock the forebay with a lot of them, and unless I'm missing something http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif i.e a barrier, I don't know why the wouldn't be there or steelies in the forbay?

TeleComCal
11-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Chico:

I know I am not who you posted the question to, but I have caught a few rainbows near wilbur rd boat launch, and out a bit closer to 162. Not bigguns by any means, but 1 to 2 pounds.