PDA

View Full Version : Will suspended trout take drifted bait?

smokie
11-05-2007, 09:40 PM
I often see fish at various mid depths with my ff, say 15-20 ft in lakes.

Often wondered if one were to lower power bait, a worm or minnow to that depth and just drift if one would catch fish.

Is that a viable way to catch trout?

Captain Compassion
11-05-2007, 10:14 PM

Often wondered if one were to lower power bait, a worm or minnow to that depth and just drift if one would catch fish.

Sounds like Mooching and it works for Salmon.

CC

fish_feeder32
11-05-2007, 10:25 PM
I don't see why it would not work. The goal with any kind of fish is to get your offering as close to the fish as you can. Some times when i fish at amador on the docks i use my portrable fish finder to locate the depth of the fish swiming under the docks. and then i lower my bait to that depth and it works realy well. So it would be worth a shot to try it at other lakes i would think.

troutseeker
11-05-2007, 10:37 PM
I know it works real well at Pardee doing that by the dam....

joshc40
11-05-2007, 11:07 PM

Best way to find out is try it. then you can tell us rather than ask ;D ::). Good question though, and it does work at times. Just give it a try and see what happens.

Josh

fenton_chris
11-05-2007, 11:58 PM
yes it works. wind helps too.

dar_fisher
11-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Yes it works. :) Just drift real slow I have used it a lot at Amador and Lake Davis. You can use a water filled float or slip bobber as well as a bobber, works good.

FresnoJack
11-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Drifting bait will catch trout. You might want to try jigging a Kastmaster, Hopkins spoon or other spoons. Raise the rod tip and let the lure drop as you follow it down with the rod tip keeping in contact with the spoon. Almost all of the strikes will be on the fall so try to keep slack out of the line.

tortuga
11-07-2007, 04:10 PM
I do it night fishing and do really well. It really began when the anchor broke loose and we drifted...we caught fish. We often cruise to a new location to re-anchor with our baits in the water. I don,t know why it wouldn't work in the daylight.
Tortuga