PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal or illegal?

Whoopbass
03-18-2009, 07:24 AM
Is it legal to target and catch rockcod/lings or any other fish for that matter during the closed season but immediately release them?
Fishing would be out of a boat in shallow water.

Seon
03-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Operative word is "target", so yes it is illegal.

Yaker
03-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Something to consider as well is that the mortality rate of most released rock fish species who have decompressed is over 25%. It's above 50% for some species.

toyboat22
03-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Illegal

Richard_Kwon
03-18-2009, 10:19 AM
not worth it if you're going to release debiliated rockfish which have a good chance of dying. Let em grow and reproduce to see another day-- a win-win situation.

Whoopbass
03-18-2009, 01:10 PM
The water would be 20-30 feet deep so they would be pretty much unharmed. It wouldn't be any different then bass fishing.

No big deal, I will just wait until the season opens.

Sin_Coast
03-18-2009, 01:35 PM
If you are "targeting" kingfish in 30ft with traditional kingfish/smelt/perch gear, you will probably catch some incidental rockfish that you'd have to release. The keyword is target. You're not allowed to target out-of-season fish.
Then again, the state needs money and DFG wardens aren't stupid. So you might get cited if they perceived you were in fact targeting rockfish.
And the mortality issue is something to consider too. Regardless of your intentions, if a rockfish died it w/b considered "take" and you'd be liable to get cited for taking out-of-season fish.

I love catching + eating rockfish. But I wouldn't bother messing w/them during the closure. If I want fish tacos for dinner, I just go to the beach and catch em from shore. Less hassle and free dinner!

Richard_Kwon
03-18-2009, 02:39 PM
If you are "targeting" kingfish in 30ft with traditional kingfish/smelt/perch gear, you will probably catch some incidental rockfish that you'd have to release. The keyword is target. You're not allowed to target out-of-season fish.
Then again, the state needs money and DFG wardens aren't stupid. So you might get cited if they perceived you were in fact targeting rockfish.
And the mortality issue is something to consider too. Regardless of your intentions, if a rockfish died it w/b considered "take" and you'd be liable to get cited for taking out-of-season fish.

I love catching + eating rockfish. But I wouldn't bother messing w/them during the closure. If I want fish tacos for dinner, I just go to the beach and catch em from shore. Less hassle and free dinner!

just curious Sin Coast... How many fish tacos did you get out of that fish in your pic?