PDA

View Full Version : J-7 question about trolling

judge whoppner
10-26-2007, 08:49 AM
I have a question about trolling J-7's.

Lot of mention on this board about trolling them and what patterns are producing, but very little discussion about how far behind the boat you troll when using them.

Striper trollers seem very tuned in to how far back there lures are from the boat. Any tips on how far back a J-7 should be when trolling for trout and wether a faster or slower speed is better?

Are you guys using line counters, or just hucking the lure off the back, opening the bail and guestimating your distances?

thanks for the help.

JW

Troutoholic
10-26-2007, 09:15 AM
My pops and I troll 150 -200 feet behind our boat so it disassociates the lure from the boat, useally if you troll over fish they swim away and gather again after... change your trolling speed and troll in a zig zag pattern try dif things to trigger a bit. line counters are usefull be we managed without them when we didnt have em. i would suggest getting some if your serious about trolling but you def dont need them. :) also try j7 perch, orange, Shad, rainbow colors work great, good luck hope this helped

judge whoppner
10-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the insight TrollingKings.

dude
10-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Also, depends on how deep you need to go to find the fish. Topwater 100+ is good but if you're down 40' or more you don't need to be back so far, 50' would be fine and I've caught fish 10' back while trolling for kokanee. Key is to experiment until you find what works on a particuliar day.
Dude

Snowtrout
10-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Speed wise, I usually troll between 1.5 to 3 mph depending on whether the fish are aggressive or passive.

For line out, 100-150 are norms.

For knowing how much line you have out, nothing beats a linecounter. I love my Daiwa sg17 but I also have a $10 clip on linecounter that I sometimes will use on other reels.

But there is another option. If you have a reel that has a non-disengaging levelwind (abu garcia c3, c4, etc) you can count the number of times the levelwind goes across (also called counting bars). I know that a 5500 reel will let out 7.5' per bar and a 6500 will let out 10' per bar. So using a 5500, 12 bars would be about 90' of line out and 12 bars on a 6500 would have about 120' out. Understand this is with the reel full of line and the more line that comes off the reel, the amount of line coming out will be less per bar (shrinking spool).

Hope this helps.

judge whoppner
10-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks fellas. Looking to put the info to the test next week at Del Valle.

cynnate
10-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Planer boards also will help to keep the boat out sight from the fish. You could theorictically run up to four planerboards.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * Planer Boards
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * */------------------<BAIT
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * / * */-------------------------<
* * * * * * * * * * * * * */ * */
* * * * * * * * * * * . . /..../..........
* * * * * * * * * * / BOAT * * * * * * ]
* * * * * * * * * * \......................]
* * * * * * * * * * * * * \ * * \
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * \ * * \
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * \ * * \..............................<
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * \....................<

Troutoholic
10-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Like byron_s said... Diawa are great and if you buy them at Expo's you get great prices... we use the Accudepth 17LC and SG17

Mr_Ed
10-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Old fashoned way for level wind vs amout of line out, is to

Hammer two nails in the top of your fence 50 feet apart.

Just count the number of passes your reel makes as your line comes off, or as you reel in for a double check. ;)

Tahoe calls for 250 feet if possible , when toplining shallow. Some
of the guides go 350 to 400 with only 10lb test!!

jmairey
10-26-2007, 03:21 PM
cabelas sells some new line that is colored like lead line, but it's not lead core line. this is a braid line and thus is expensive, but it's an option.

it's like $15 for 200 yards of 10lb dyneema braid which has the equivalent diameter of 4lb mono (or so).

judge whoppner
10-26-2007, 03:51 PM
When trolling with braid for Trout, I'm assuming were gonna need 3-6' of mono or floro leader. Is there any advantage to trolling with braid?