PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle HELP!

Troutoholic
10-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Going to Del Valle Next week, want trout and not sure if i am towing my boat. How is the fishing from shore and is it worth towing boat from santa cruz or rent one? my gas motor isnt working so i would only have electric, were and what to use from shore? HELP please!... i have not gone to Del Valle cause i stick to home lake Loch Lomond but its closed for winter. :(

bowmasta
10-24-2007, 11:25 PM
*If you decide to rent a boat then troll rapala's, ill be at Del Valle this weekend.

Troutoholic
10-25-2007, 10:36 AM
ok i heard j7 pearch are good on another post, anyone know whats good from shore? i heard fish nerrows to dam and around heron bay

jwirch
10-25-2007, 11:33 AM
TrollingKings,

I would rent a boat, because the lake has a 10 MPH speed limit, and is somewhat long & narrow. The narrows, dam & Herron bay are all good. Troll needlefish, wedding rings and rapala's. Good luck out there, tight lines & rod tip up 8-)

Troutoholic
10-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys, i have a question does anyone know how good the boats are? i want to bring my downriggers do they have rod holders or anything? can i troll with the gas motor it comes with or should i bring my electric as well? thanks - TrollingKings

Old_School
10-25-2007, 12:29 PM
I have never rented one but they are klamaths and seem to have 5 or 6 hp engines. I think they also have a delux model w/steering wheel too for more $$. Just your standard rentals with no frills. Unless your going for kokes you dont need riggers.
Good luck.

bub1931
10-25-2007, 12:43 PM
The rental boats do not have rod holders. So you will need to supply your own clamp on holders. I bought some cheap clamp on rod holders and had trouble with them staying clamped on. SO I just wedged it rod under one of my foot.

I have my own boat now so I dont rent. The deluxe boats are not that bad, if you dont mind spending a little more money. Side console, and has a lot of room to move around. We rented one a while back, and had two adults, and two kids, and had plenty of room.

I will be there Saturday in my 14ft Starcraft (White with blue strip) blue canvas top. probably be there by myself, or maybe with my father.

DazShooter
10-25-2007, 12:50 PM
From shore...Narrows can be good, although it can be hit and miss there. Herron bay is ok, people catch fish right by the Marina too. Damn is way too far if you are on foot. Stay mobile and keep looking for the fish. They are there, they can be big and can be hungry. Once you key in what they want that day it can be great.

firetrout
10-25-2007, 12:56 PM
I have myown boat but the rentals look well cared for and I have not heard anyone complain yet. Downriggers are not needed. The water temp is 63-65 degrees and you can use a bannana type weight if you want to get down a bit to 6 feet.

bowmasta
10-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Perch Pattern is decent, the 2 patterns I have found best from last weekend are the rainbow pattern J7 and Any orange colored rapala... I also just bought a J9 rapala, ill be trying that this weekend :) Good Luck .

c-swirl-sean
10-25-2007, 02:26 PM
I have been there trolling every weekend for the past 3 weeks. I have personally seen the bankies doing better, than the trollers! PB, chart, rainbow, off of the main lake points.

Best bet!
-FTS

Troutoholic
10-25-2007, 03:40 PM
perfect thankx guys wish me luck ill keep checking post for more feed back.., guess i wont bring riggers i will pack all my rapalas also i have favored Seps trolling dodgers /flashers with grubs, and J. Fair's trolling flies... ill hopefully have a great report after tuesday 10/30/07 ill be there 6 AM :) ....tight lines guys

Troutoholic
10-25-2007, 03:50 PM
ill probably just go with the 14' alum' even thought thats what i have but its a Gamefisher(wish i could rent gas motor haha)...also should i bring my electric motor? thanks