PDA

View Full Version : Los Vaqueros report

BEALY22
10-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Me my dad and my uncle headed up to LV last Sunday. Got there at 8 and by 8:20, we were on the water trolling. At 9 we had our first strike while trolling w/a rainbow needlefish in the rockwall area. My dad fought this fish for like 10 minutes and it turned out to be a 3lb salmon! Made another pass and my uncle lost something big when he tried to horse it up to the surface. :-/ *
with no more strikes, we headed out to the sunken oak cove for sum bass. I ended up catchin a nice 16 incher and my dad caught two between 12-14. Made it over to the east shore and began to see a huge school of something suspended at 35' in 50 feet of water on our fish finder. We used leadcore line to get down that deep and in minutes, we caught another salmon! This one was probly 3.5 lbs. Made another pass and ANOTHER salmon hit. about 4lbs to this one. On our last pass, we got hit again and figured it would be another huge salmon. Instead, it turned out to be a 5lb trout! thiis thing fought like a wild steelhead and spooled us a couple times. It also looks like a steelhead to but we figure its a wild rainbow trout. Had to turn in early but had a great day! **
We were using leadcore line with needlfish and bluefox #2's. *

http://img67.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lvtroutwf8.jpg

fishing_man
10-11-2007, 08:02 PM
i cant see the pics??

BEALY22
10-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Sorry about that, try these links....... These are pics of the 5lb trout
http://img249.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lvtrout2hh7.jpg

Hi_Tide
10-11-2007, 08:46 PM
The 2 pics look more like rainbows than salmon?

fishfinder42
10-11-2007, 09:33 PM
The 2 pics look more like rainbows than salmon?

That's why he said "These are pics of the 5lb Trout" [smiley=duck.gif]

troutseeker
10-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Sorry about that, try these links....... These are pics of the 5lb trout
http://img249.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lvtrout2hh7.jpg

sweet fish great job....

Ikan_Mas
10-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Great job. There are some big ones in the lake. Wish the rental boat rates were a bit more economical for us solo fisherman.

There seems to be a better base of minnows in the lake this year, the salmon and the five pound square tail there being evidence of it. The last large trout I caught there a couple of weeks ago had half a dozen 2-3 inch minnows in it. Big fish along with the water down and better access to the north shore, might make for a good fall season out there. ;D

jwirch
10-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Nice job on the fish, and thanks for the post, it was an enjoyment to read. Thats one of my favorite lakes also, my son caught a 4.8lb black bass a year ago. ;D

BEALY22
10-17-2007, 08:25 PM
THANKS for all your replies guys!! 8-)

LastBassActionHero
10-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Great report! u make me want to get out there asap!! what is leadcore line? Is it for trolling and getting deeper down? do you just spool it up ?

Old_School
10-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Nice report and picks.
Thanx!
Do you have any picks of the salmon?
I'd sure like to see them!

tragedyspring
10-18-2007, 02:24 PM
hey LBAH- leadcore line is for trolling....it is sold at walmart, etc. it is basically a thin line of lead covered with some sort of fabric mesh for strength. every ten feet it changes color on the line so you know about how much line you have out behind your boat. I think every color out is like 5 feet of depth, depending on your speed, what lure youre using, flashers/dodger, etc. I used to use it for kokanee, but now I have downriggers. I have caught fish with it- but it kinda sucks reeling them in compared to ultra light tackle and downriggers. Cant really feel the fight on smaller fish. Remember- if you use leadcore, it is highly visible to the fish, so you should further complicate the depth equation by adding about 100 feet of mono (or I like to use flourocarbon myself)to the end of the leadcore line with a very small swivel so that you dont spook wary fish. Then attach your flashers/dodger to the end of the mono/flourocarbon followed by an indescriminate length of leader( dependin g on which type of lure you will be using) and finally, your chosen lure/bait.

LastBassActionHero
10-18-2007, 02:48 PM
is there any other way of getting to that water dept without downriggers or leadcore line? I want to use my ultra light tackle!! Maybe I just gotta dunk some PB for them then

BEALY22
10-18-2007, 04:14 PM
There are some special trolling weights that I saw in a cabelas cataloge that look nice. Put one on there and then just tie on your leader and your bait. Thats about the only way i could think of getting down deep without leacore/downriggers. Maybe deep bait fishing or drifting would work. I think tragedyspring sumed up leadcore line up pretty well, except that we always use about 10 feet of clear 6-8lb leader and still have good luck.

troutseeker
10-18-2007, 04:47 PM
great job Bealy, sound slike ya had a blast...

gomezfish
10-18-2007, 05:02 PM
what if i use a 3 way swivel with a heavy weight on the bottom with the leader headed out?

*swivel
line>>__________*_________________$$$--$ < lure
!
!
!
!
@ << weight

LastBassActionHero
10-19-2007, 10:10 AM
How heavy of a weight should I use to get it down say like 30ft? I want to see if i would still be able to use my ultra light gear can handle the weight.

LastBassActionHero
10-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Bealy, how windy was it when you were out there? Those electric motors are only so powerful. I'm thinking of going tomarrow now!

BEALY22
10-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Bealy, how windy was it when you were out there? Those electric motors are only so powerful. I'm thinking of going tomarrow now!

We got lucky, the winds that day were only 8-12mph. But the electric boat we had seemed to have a new engine on it and it was very powerful. U can always check the lakes weather conditions on their website(http://www.ccwater.com/losvaqueros/conditions.asp) Winds should be ok this weekend. I might be heading out there again soon to check it out. Good luck if you do go out there!

LastBassActionHero
10-19-2007, 03:39 PM
yea, i'm going for sure tomarrow morning. It looks like the winds will be anywhere from 10-20. I have a free half day pass for a boat hopefully i get to use it tomarrow. I'll report whatever i catch!

BEALY22
10-19-2007, 09:26 PM
yea, i'm going for sure tomarrow morning. It looks like the winds will be anywhere from 10-20. I have a free half day pass for a boat hopefully i get to use it tomarrow. I'll report whatever i catch!
Yeah please post your results! I might also go out sunday so ill probly post again. Have fun and good luck!

LastBassActionHero
10-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Got there at 6am waited for the gates to open. Rented a boat and headed to troll the eastern shoreline for nothing. Then we anchored up in one of the eastern coves, and by my 10th cast I hook a nice 5 pound salmon. It put up a decent fight for about a minute then the wind started to kick up and we had to go back in. ( white caps are crazy ) That was it for the day went to the marina to get my mug and the fish weighed a little more than 4.5#. The fishing looked pretty slow on the banks for trout but there were a bunch of people fishing. Not many people had stringers out in the water.