PDA

View Full Version : toplining question

cptdarel
10-14-2007, 10:29 AM
OK Guys, I have done about all fishing there is, but one thing I have not done is toplining, no douby it's productive. what is the technique? lures that are best, any weights? how far back?, how deep do you estimate the lure to be, Tried to find it in FAQ but no go. Thanks Darrell

hitdog777
10-14-2007, 03:04 PM
depends on what lake and the target fish? *Typically, I tie on a small barrel or chain swivel and then a 3-5 foot leader. *I like to topline grubs, threaded night crawlers, uncle larry's spinners, rapalas to name a few. *let out anywhere from 100-200 feet of line and then get ready for the strike. * Manytimes I use a dodger or sidekick if I want to get just below the surface and/or get some additional action on the offering. * *I'm sure others will have input, but this is what I do. *

steveo79
10-14-2007, 03:16 PM
I've got exactly one trip under my belt, and setups vary, but up here in the higher lakes on Hiway 4, and 108, the combo of Seps mini flashers, wedding rings, and a threaded night crawler worked great. I had a barrel swivel, the silver flashers with the prism tape, a red beaded, red/blue blade wedding ring with about a size 4 baitholder, on about a 30" leader and a full nightcrawler threaded on. I was out about 75 to 100 feet behind the boat, but to be honest, I caught a few as I was letting out line, right near the back of the boat. But it was one of those days at Beardsley....

cptdarel
10-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Wow, most interesting, so i take that when the water turns, it becomes toplining season, and no downrigger needed, thanks for responces, keep em coming, thanks.

jcarman
10-20-2007, 08:53 PM
cpt darel-

I had a friend show me how to topline trolling flies, thats a kick. Just tie on a flie, maybe a very small split shot 24" away or so and troll away. If it's stormy, the browns move close to the shore, so get in tight. Rip it a few times here and there. Don't forget a small swivel 30" - 36" up to avoid line twisting. Without any drag from tackle the hits feel incredible!

Seon
10-21-2007, 05:34 AM
Last Friday at Silver Lake, I used a micro dodger and a 1/2 crawler on a #6 hook on a 24" leader. * After landing a trout, I hooked a 4" black with a yellow tip plastic worm that was in the tackle box that I used for large mouth bass on a previous outting. *I got so many hits on it, but didn't hook a one. However could you image that if one was hooked, it would have been a monster *;D . *After the boat Captain Phishinfool2 reeled in the second fish during my plastic worm experiment, I decided "trial and error" was over. I re-hooked a 1/2 crawler, dropped the line in pulled out about 80 feet and "WHAM" ....fish on!

fish04
10-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Yes I also run 100 to 300 ft. behind the boat at different times. 2-5 ft. of leader behind a Cow Belle or a Half Fast with a rudder hooked to a ball bearing swivel. The other things I use are Needle fish with anywhere from 15 inches to 5ft. of leader hooked to swivel to a flasher with a heavy short piece of leader to a three way swivel so I can use a weight with a paper clip hooked to the three way to get you down deeper. *The use of sents on the flasher and rudder coupled to a piece of red worm or night crawler etc on the lure. Small rebels or minnow like plugs work at times too. There many different combos that work from old school to modern techenics. What works today may not work next week as you all know. But remember do not count out the old school ways just yet.
Fish04
Don *