PDA

View Full Version : anyone fishing in the shasta derby?

TroutWagon
10-09-2007, 01:44 PM
I'm headed up friday to shasta to fish in the trout derby this weekend Oct. 13th & 14th. Are ther any fellow sniffers fishing this years trout derby? Hoping for good weather, good luck for anyone fishing the derby make sure you check your local launching facilities to be sure it's open
due to extremely low water conditions.

See you at the dinner!

Rich

backbrace17
10-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Leaving for Shasta early Friday morning. It will be my first time in the derby, so looking forward in meeting all the new faces. I am camping at LakeShore RV Park.

P.S. I wish there were more reports from the area.

Khanh

I'm headed up friday to shasta to fish in the trout derby this weekend Oct. 13th & 14th. Are ther any fellow sniffers fishing this years trout derby? Hoping for good weather, good luck for anyone fishing the derby make sure you check your local launching facilities to be sure it's open
due to extremely low water conditions.

See you at the dinner!

Rich

TroutWagon
10-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Hey khanh,

I met you at the stampede derby this summer, I'm glad your giving Shasta a try, It's a great lake. The reports have been good as far as I've seen them. I have a few sources in the area and there saying lake levels are as low as they have seen in a long time :(,But the fishing is still good. The river arms way north are to rivers compared to how they were 6 months ago(much higher) so fishing the main body might be the way to go. I'll see you at the dinner or maybe the seminar by Gary Miralles @the bass hole on friday night.

Good luck

Rich

sugarloaf
10-10-2007, 08:50 PM
I look forward to seeing many old faces and some new ones this weekend. The weather is going to be great and are expecting some good weights. As far as launching goes the ramp at Sugarloaf is in very good shape. I have helped at least 30 people launch there boats without any problems. The only issue is that there is no dock at the ramp. It does help to have a partner.

See you at the B******* in a few days,
Harold,
Sugarlaof Cottages

troutseeker
10-10-2007, 09:01 PM
boy I thought Shasta was a crappie, bass lake, I had no idea there were trout in that lake....

backbrace17
10-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Hi Harold,
Thanks for the info on the Sugerloaf ramp. I was suggested by the LakeShore RV park to launch at Sugerloaf. It the bank around the Sugerloaf ramp sandy, muddy or rocky?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Rich,
I am planning to pre-fish on Friday. What channel are you on at Shasta?

Khanh

sugarloaf
10-10-2007, 10:48 PM
The road around the ramp and the ramp are asphalt. The parking area around the ramp is dirt. Remember to give yourself plenty of time to launch on the derby days. Or secure moorage at Sugarloaf Marina or Antlers Marina

backbrace17
10-11-2007, 08:03 AM
Hi Harold,
I wasn't worry about the road to the ramp. My concern is no available dock after launching which you've mention on your previouse message.

I was worry about banking a fiberglass boat on a rocky beach after launching. Do you know of any other ramps with a dock on the beach?

Thanks,

Khanh

The road around the ramp and the ramp are asphalt. The parking area around the ramp is dirt. Remember to give yourself plenty of time to launch on the derby days. Or secure moorage at Sugarloaf Marina or Antlers Marina

TroutWagon
10-11-2007, 10:45 AM
khanh,

I'll be up there around 12 noon hopefully in the water by 1pm. I'll be using channel 69 on the water. We'll swap some reports back and forth.
It looks like good weather this weekend. See you up there

Rich

backbrace17
10-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Rich,

I took friday off and am leaving Fremont at 3am. Do you know if the Cunntane (SP) ramp next the damp operational and does it has a dock?

Thanks,

Khanh

khanh,

I'll be up there around 12 noon hopefully in the water by 1pm. I'll be using channel 69 on the water. We'll swap some reports back and forth.
It looks like good weather this weekend. See you up there

Rich

TroutWagon
10-11-2007, 11:41 AM
I don't know if It's open or not or if it has a dock. I'll be launching out of bridge bay facilities, It's ramp is paved all the way in the water and then some.It's 15 bucks to launch there , but it's worth the safety of my boat.
Contact harold jones of sugerloaf cottages and he has ramp updates

See you friday

Rich

GeneO
10-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Fished Shasta last Friday and only caught one small salmon at Digger Bay. Put in at the dam at Centimudi Launch had some mud on the bottom and tires spun a little, has no docks just an old asphalt road. Located many fish on the fish finder but only one take down on SB and Paddletail @ 70 ft. Shore fisherman said that Digger Bay was where most fish were being caught. Saw a couple of trout caught by top lining from houseboats fishing that area. Lost one trout top lining on a pink Apex in the same area. Gary has a good report on his web sight Shasta Tackle> Hoe this helps. GeneO

backbrace17
10-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks all. I did want to bank the fiberglass boat on the rocky shoreline so I can park my rig.

fishintrippz
10-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Centamundi is really muddy today, just an FYI, with the rain and more water dropping it's a complete mess.

HTH
Kendra

backbrace17
10-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Kendra,

Are you fishing is derby or are you at home? Al said he is fishing with Mike on this derby.

Khanh

Centamundi is really muddy today, just an FYI, with the rain and more water dropping it's a complete mess.

HTH
Kendra

TroutWagon
10-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Kendra,

Thanks for the info, I have a friend coming up so I'll pass the info along
Good luck in the derby!

I wonder if all the launches which have dirt parking areas are all muddy like that?

See out there

Rich

fishintrippz
10-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Im sitting this one out! Have fun and stay dry - there are some black clouds up here!

MrFisher
10-12-2007, 04:27 AM
Garry s Report

Shasta is 117' down, the surface is 65 degress. BOAT LAUNCHES OPEN: Centimudi ( the Dam), Bride Bay, Sugarloaf ( Lake head), Jones Valley. The lake is turning over and the fish are scattered. The Trout are coming in from the to surface to 100' deep. Try Nickel Blue, Nickel Green or Glow Shad in deeper water. The Salmon are bitting in the deeper water 75' to 125' deep. The hot baits are Paddle-tails in Shad Patterns, Flee Bittys and Sling Blades and Koke-A-Nuts and Pee Wee or Sling Blades and Cripplures or Hum Dinger in Blue or Purple or Glow Shad. The hot Lure today was the Glow Shad Cripplure behind the new Super Glow Sling Blade Blue Pink Dot and the 8" Sling Blade with the Shad pattern Paddle-tail. Also did well on the Flee Bitty's and Hum Dingers behind the 6" Sling Blades. Pro Cure Shad Gel is a Must!!

Todays trip 10/08/07 produced 2 limits 5 Trout and 5 Salmon. Caught most of the Trout from the surface to 36'. Small salmon 75' to 110' . Found some shad on the surface near the Dam and put 3 nice Tourt in the boat around 21 inches and 2.5 pounds. The Flee Bitty was the hot lure today on the surface followed by the Paddle Tail at 12 feet down. Caught fish around No Name Island, Backbone, Dry Creek, Digger Bay and the Dam. Expect Tuesdays rain to cool the surface even more and bring more fish up.........end

With that in Mind, It rained yesterday ( thursday)and should today as well. Sat & Sun its calling for sunny days. Ya
I think Garry Ordered it for the derby. LOL

Lagging and draggin from Salmon & halibut & rock cod fishing (now closed) at Shelter Cove ( yep freezers getting full), The 35 -50 Lb kings in the Sac (Barge whole) has kept my mind elce ware. Dang Forgot about the derby or I'd been prefishing and know. sorry Shasta the closest to me too/ LOL Shasta s a big lake, but she's never let me down for fish in the areas Gary mentioned above except for Digger bay and I just don't fish there for personal reasons. Other wise Guys I think its going to be a good derby. I'm going to make a run at it one day this week end and Hopefully make it up to see how yall did. There coming up I bet, Most likely see me near the dam.
Best of luck to all
Robin