PDA

View Full Version : Bear River & Caples 10-08

cgagex3
10-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Started off the morning at Bear River, pontoon on the water at 7:30am just as the sun crested the hill. Fished for 4 hrs, C & R of 7 browns all in the 9 to 13" range. With the water clarity so clean I kept seeing these 30 to 36" fish that would troll by right under me 10 or 15 ft down but they weren't interested in anything that I had.
Then off to Caples from 12:15 to 3pm. Beautiful day up there. C & R of 6 smallish bows in same range. I thought that the C & R of all the little guys would have earned me good mojo for the trip but no..... On my last run around the big rock outcropping I hooked into a beauty size at approx 24" and beautiful color. Net in hand fish 6 ft away and it jumped up and shook off. That would have been the only fish that I would have kept for the day but it wasn't to be.
Almost everything for the day was on a gold little cleo and a gold acme thunderbolt with a rainbow pattern.
Hope for one more shot to the hills before the fishing trips move closer to home for the winter.
CG

BreakofDawn
10-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Nice report. Too bad about the big one :'(

Phishinfool2
10-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Nice to hear there are fish in that there Bear. I was beginning to wonder if fish existed in that lake. Might just have to go back up and give the ole Bear a retry. What was the water level like? last time I was there the rock pile by the dam was about 15' out of water.

Jimbo

cgagex3
10-09-2007, 02:59 PM
BOD,
Thanks for the sympathy.

Jimbo,
That was my second trip up in 9 days. They are there, just wish I could figure what the big guys want. This was a pic at the dam on the 29th. Of all the pics I took it was the only one that showed the dam for water level reference, it was also the only one that was blurry. I took in the morning when I first parked.
http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/7466/pic002aa1.jpg
They seem to mostly be in the bowl by the dam. I did see a guys on both days tucked all the way up against the right side facing the dam catching limits. Yesterday the guy caught a good 2 1/2 to 3 lb mac. He held it to me to see if I knew what it was, he could tell it wasn't a bow or brown. I was on gold cleo, he was using sliver & black pather martin for all his catches. The guy the week before was casting out a crawler on a clear bobber and slow retrieve in just under the surface. I swear I saw him catch 10 to 12 in about 4 hours.

Captain Compassion
10-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Monday was a beautiful day for fishing. I had a wonderful time at Tahoe. Sorry about the big guy but he'll be bigger the next time you come across him. Still sounds like you had a good day all in all.

CC

untalan1
10-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Hello CG,I did the opposite I fished Caples off shore on mon. got there at daybreak using a firetiger rapala at the pulloff at the big rock by the spillway.Caught and released about 8 browns of in about 45 mins. .All the fish were about 14".I left Caples and hit bear river for about an hour and caught one brown and missed a few hits.I saw you with the float pontoon at the dam.I was the guy throwing lures next to the guy who caught the 24" fish using a gold panther martin never saw the fish but by the way he described it sounded like a makinaw.Had to leave after about an hour of fishing to pick up an axel in Patterson for my boat trailer.Those lakes sure are low ,hope that sprinkle of snow they got up there on thurs. is an indication of an early winter we sure can use the water.Efren

troutseeker
10-09-2007, 08:45 PM
hey CG, where is Bear River?

cgagex3
10-10-2007, 06:51 AM
seeker,
Bear river reservoir rd comes off hwy 88 between pioneer and silver lake. right about at the 6000 ft level. If you take the road in from 88 you come to a sign for a left turn to the resort, go straight instead. There is a dirt road that turns off on the left just before the dam that has the ramp that you can put in a boat at.
Heading up today on my last day of vacation, walking out the door now

Cg

Fish_Bully
10-10-2007, 07:09 AM
Great to hear a person can catch fish in Bear. I have friends that do a lot of camping and OHV in that area and they report never catching fish at Bear. They usually go in the heat of the summer though.

Great report,

Flip

troutseeker
10-10-2007, 07:21 AM
THANKS Cg !!

cgagex3
10-10-2007, 03:16 PM
OK,
Well the road to Bear River wasn't exactly pretty .....
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6426/pic040qs3.jpg
But by around 11 or so it came out alright. The clouds broke up and the sun came out.
Got to spend some time out on the water.
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4797/pic192tm2.jpg
While my wife explored and took the pictures.
C&R 2 smallish browns, a couple of LDRs and a few bumps. Kept one fish for an appetizer tonight.
Not a bad last day of vacation.

CG