PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid on Saturday

EXCAVATOR
10-06-2007, 08:32 PM
My buddy Justin and I hit the water at 7:00 cool but not cold and slight wind. ;) Looked like blue bird day. Water temp was 57, nTrolled north in 30 to 40 feet of water. Had one downrigger with a Lyman at 15 feet and the other at 25 feet with a Pyramid spoon. 1/2 mile past warrior point without a t :P :(ouch

Turned south and picked up small fish 13 to 15 inches but no keepers, but no SKUNK ;).

Great day !! with no wind.

EXCAVATOR

fish_junky
10-06-2007, 08:37 PM
I think it's going to break wide open in time for the Fest. :)

EXCAVATOR
10-06-2007, 09:09 PM
I did talk to one other SNIFFER on the radio today, at that point he had no luck. I tried a few times to get others on the radio but no one was talking.

I hope the fishing gets better with some rain and snow :D :D :D

EXCAVATOR

vvbob
10-07-2007, 06:56 AM
Thans for the report A.
It's gotta get better ( haven't I said that a few times lately). Hopefully we will get some stable weather, that should improve the bite :D

metalmouth
10-07-2007, 07:06 AM
No wind and the temps dropping! The fish won't be far behind.

[smiley=fishing1.gif] [smiley=jumpinggroup.gif] [smiley=yahoo.gif] [smiley=yikes.gif] [smiley=yahoo.gif]

FishMischief
10-07-2007, 06:52 PM
I saw Sat a bit differently... *There was no wind but the North East swell made the morning hell. *Marked lots of fish but no takers until after the swell laid down about 11am. *Then it was one fish every 15 mins until the swell turned around and came up from the south and the bite shut down.

We lost a bunch of fish with the barbless hooks because they would surface 20ft back and roll off the hook. *You have to keep them down until they are close to the boat or your loss rate will be high.

We caught a good number of fish between 15 and 16. *Only a couple keepers between 16 and 19.

chicofishrmen
10-07-2007, 08:14 PM
I saw Sat a bit differently... *There was no wind but the North East swell made the morning hell. *Marked lots of fish but no takers until after the swell laid down about 11am. *Then it was one fish every 15 mins until the swell turned around and came up from the south and the bite shut down.

We lost a bunch of fish with the barbless hooks because they would surface 20ft back and roll off the hook. *You have to keep them down until they are close to the boat or your loss rate will be high.

We caught a good number of fish between 15 and 16. *Only a couple keepers between 16 and 19.

FC,

Just curious, are you using a barrel swivel between the split ring and the hook?

FishMischief
10-08-2007, 09:04 AM
I was using the duo lock snaps on a barrel swivel connected durectly to the lure. We had the same problem weatehr it was caught on Lyman, flatfish or spoons.

The problem in my view was that the fish surfacing with so much line out they would thrash and create slack and probably throw the hook, rolling of the hook was probably a bad description.

Sunday we found that once they got close to the surface we would put the rod tip under the water keeping them low. I also think the fish that would surface that early were sub 16 inch fish. The larger ones would come to the boat a bit deeper.

drstressor
10-08-2007, 09:29 AM
When I fish barbless, I do everything possible to keep the fish deep yet on a tight line. *Slow the boat as much as possible and turn in the direction of the the fish to keep it nearly perpendicular to the side of the boat. *Reel slowly unless the fish is coming right at you. Don't pump the rod. *It's just like playing kokanee.

I think that Chico was referring to using a barrel swivel between the lure and a single Siwash hook. *It's almost impossible for head shakers like macks and cutts to throw off that setup, even is they spin and twist at the surface. *I use setup with spoons and Lymans. *I've had no luck at all trying it on flatfish or stick baits because the balance and the action is upset. *Apexes and StingKings already come rigged with a swivel on the hook. *That's because their design heritage is commercial salmon trolling where hooked fish are often dragged around for a while. *If the swivel setup doesn't ruin the lure action, it really cuts down on lost fish.

FishMischief
10-08-2007, 10:24 AM
That makes sense now. I did do that on my jigs but never did it on my spoons and had totally forgotten about it when I bought my lymans.

I did notice the the lymans hooks can catch each other. This was a problem when the lures are out of the water but never seemed to create a problem in the water so I ssume adding the swivel shouldn't create an issue.

drstressor
10-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Here's my standard Lyman modification:

http://wolfweb.unr.edu/homepage/weber/lyman1.jpg

A lot of the other sniffers also rig their Lymans this way.

FishMischief
10-08-2007, 10:41 AM
So your not even using the forward hook and single instead of trebble. Are you missing any bites by not haing the forward hook? That would also make the double lyman rig still legal (only 2 hooks on a line).

FishMischief
10-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Oh and I also talked to a number of people who were convinced they had to fish deep cause thats where they were marking fish on the east side. *They go really quiet when you tell them that they are killing the fish they are releasing.

All my fish were caught in under 60ft of water fishing no more than 25 ft down. *On sunday I did best in 20 to 25 ft of water fishing 13 to 20ft down. I did better than anyone else I talked to that was fishing deep.

When there is no chop the fish are shallow. *Seems when there is some chop they go a little deeper water but not much farther down.

scottfree
10-08-2007, 11:02 AM
up there for the opener!! late start saturday due to wind out by 8! lots of fish 18-23" picking up 2-3 fish an hour! keep busy!! lymans&apex's

drstressor
10-08-2007, 02:27 PM
The next best thing about the single hook setup is that if a fish misses the first strike, it often comes back and hits the lure again. *That's rare with trebles because they generally get scratched by the hooks if they don't hook up on a strike. *With a single hook, it's either a clean miss or a solid hook up. *Macks and cutt usually just try to eat a 4 or 5 inch Lyman. *So you don't need the front hook. *Browns often seem to hit plugs from the side. *So I don't use single hook rigs for them.

Mako
10-09-2007, 03:59 PM
On a 4" Lyman I like to rig my single siwash hook on the front eye and not the back one. I think the lure has better action and I have had several 30-40 fish days on them to prove they work this way well.

metalmouth
10-09-2007, 06:00 PM
I rig all of my Lymans and Apex's just as Doc has shown for Cutts. The barrel swivel and a sharp Gami Siwash is almost foolproof. I don't use stock hooks. I used the same set up on the ocean this year for Kings without a loss as well. I never fish anything but barbless hooks. Set your riggers so that you pick up the fish for release instead of him popping out of the clip. The fish won't come off, as the rigger will set the hook! I didn't notice any difference when tuning my Lymans along side the boat with the rear or front hook position, but I did notice more hookups with those big mouth Cutts taking the rear hook. It seems you have more solid hook ups with the rear hook position and the front hook seemed to be barely hooked in the corner of the mouth. Hope this helps.

MM 8-) ;D 8-)

Mako
10-10-2007, 11:25 AM
So it sounds like the single siwash in either the rear or front position is working. *I can't change to the rear set-up when I have been having such sucess (every hit is a hook-up) and 95% of the time the single hook is in the tip of the lower jaw and its super easy to release the fish without any harm.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/7567/0000022xu1.jpg

They fight well this way too !