PDA

View Full Version : Frenchman Lake in October anyone?

blu-grouper
09-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Hey Sniffers,

We are doing our second reunion trip this year in October and thinking Frenchman Lake in Plumas since Davis is getting killed off. Anybody been fishing up there recently? We did Upper Blur Lakes in June and it was AWESOME. We need a place for great shore fishing and plenty of peace, quiet, and Jack Daniels. . . :) Frenchman sounds good but we've never been.

Captain Compassion
09-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Hey Sniffers,

We are doing our second reunion trip this year in October and thinking Frenchman Lake in Plumas since Davis is getting killed off. *Anybody been fishing up there recently? *We did Upper Blur Lakes in June and it was AWESOME. *We need a place for great shore fishing and plenty of peace, quiet, and Jack Daniels. *. *. *:) *Frenchman sounds good but we've never been.

It's a shame about Davis. Davis is my favorite all time fall fishing lake. Frenchmans can be good in the fall. Not a lot of Browns but good numbers of fat Bows. Have fun.

CC

blu-grouper
09-10-2007, 09:12 AM
It's a shame about Davis. Davis is my favorite all time fall fishing lake. Frenchmans can be good in the fall. Not a lot of Browns but good numbers of fat Bows. Have fun.

It sure is a bummer. We had our eye on it! Maybe next year? I have no idea what it takes for a lake to recover after that.

I'm concerned about the fire up there, hopefully the great men and women of the CDF and fire squads can get that sucker under control.

billfisher
09-10-2007, 09:27 AM
You can get a pretty current update on fishing at Frechmans at this site: www.plumascounty.org/fishingreport.htm

If the weather holds it should be a good place to go in October. Crowds should not be a problem. Since you've never ben there, the drive in through the canyon created by Last Chance Creek is worth the trip in my opinion. Check out the map of the lake on the FishSniffer map page for the locations of the places mentioned in the fishing reports.

Have fun!

blu-grouper
09-10-2007, 09:40 AM
You can get a pretty current update on fishing at Frechmans at this site: www.plumascounty.org/fishingreport.htm

If the weather holds it should be a good place to go in October. Crowds should not be a problem. Since you've never ben there, the drive in through the canyon created by Last Chance Creek is worth the trip in my opinion. Check out the map of the lake on the FishSniffer map page for the locations of the places mentioned in the fishing reports.

Have fun!

Thanks Bill! :)

Captain Compassion
09-10-2007, 11:20 AM
It sure is a bummer. *We had our eye on it! *Maybe next year? *I have no idea what it takes for a lake to recover after that.

Well there will certainly be lots of fish. After they poisoned the lake last time they stocked 4 million trout. Hopefully they can stock before the lake freezes and open it in the spring.

CC

blu-grouper
09-10-2007, 12:12 PM
[quote author=blu-grouper link=1189438713/0#2 date=1189444334]
Well there will certainly be lots of fish. After they poisoned the lake last time they stocked 4 million trout. Hopefully they can stock before the lake freezes and open it in the spring.

Captain, I remember now, your posts about Blue Lakes this past spring gave our crew some momentum heading into our trip there in June. Here's a pic for fun. . . Upper Blue Lakes rules! It was all I could do after that trip to convince the crew to go to Frenchman instead. We are looking to eventually explore that whole area and beyond. . . ;)

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/17/rollingwidfishga1.jpg

Captain Compassion
09-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Captain, I remember now, your posts about Blue Lakes this past spring gave our crew some momentum heading into our trip there in June. *Here's a pic for fun. *. *. Upper Blue Lakes rules! *It was all I could do after that trip to convince the crew to go to Frenchman instead. *We are looking to eventually explore that whole area and beyond. *. *. *;)

The Captain is certainly a big fan of Upper Blue. I've only been skunked there once. For some reason I have yet to catch a fish out of Lower Blue. Had some excellent Cutt fishing there this spring and I'm sure I'll be up there again before the snow flies. I'll be looking for Brookies this time of year.

CC

Mr_Ed
09-10-2007, 06:50 PM
This late in the year, shore fishing at Jackon is a good bet also...............

Captain Compassion
09-10-2007, 07:04 PM
This late in the year, shore fishing at Jackon is a good bet also...............

Haven't been to Jackson for over 30 years. As I remember it there were lots of Browns there.

CC

wolfden
09-10-2007, 07:34 PM
The fishing at Frenchman has been terrible for the last month, very few fish and a whole lot of wind everyday.
The moonlight fire is not a threat to Frenchman lake itself or the area around Frenchman but the smoke that last few days up here has been terrible. It is more to the northwest of here and the fire is at 63,141 acres and at 28% containment.

blu-grouper
10-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Well the boys and I are going to go hit it this weekend so its time to revive this thread. The weather looks like poop but we've got a crate of whiskey and an ez-up so if we get muddy so be it.

I'm getting conflicting reports about the campground closures up there and the rangers aren't answering their phone so I thought I ask the sage-like sniffer community about the way the FS runs their sites. Does anybody know if we still be able to camp at 'closed' sites?

I know there are a lot of hunters here that like to go up there. When we went to Blue Lakes the upper camp was closed but we were able to drive in and pack in/out but that was a PG&E campground. I'm wondering if we will encounter a similar arrangement with the Forest Service campgrounds??

mtnlks
10-08-2007, 01:40 PM
I was up there sat. Little last chance campground is open. Its the first camp you come to just before you start up the canyon on your right. Its about 3-4 mi. from the lake. the fishing is wide open, I was trolling with slingblades and humdingers-orange green silver with procure nightcrawler gel sent and uncle larrys firetiger spinner/w baby nightcrawler threded up the line. shore fishing use rainbow power bait and inflated nightcrawlers, kastmasters work well too. Fish the dam, lunker point turkey point. stop in at wiggins trading post for bait and more info. good luck.

blu-grouper
10-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Little last chance campground is open. Its the first camp you come to just before you start up the canyon on your right. Its about 3-4 mi. from the lake.

Just the 1? We were hoping we can get to the ones on the lake itself. What do they do, lock the gates or something? I can't get anyone at the Beckworth station to answer the phones and info from Wiggins is vague. We have to drive a really long ways to get there :(

Pyramid_Kid
10-08-2007, 05:16 PM
This is the fishing report from last friday for Frenchmans

FRENCHMAN LAKE

Fishing has been good for the most part. It's best in the early morning or late evening. Bank fish off the dam or at Turkey Point with worms and bobbers. Trollers have been doing well through the narrows with large brown, yellow or olive flies. Deer season opens on Saturday. Chilcoot campground and Spring Creek are still open and should remain open for the next week or so. Wiggin's Trading Post, (530) 993-4683.

blu-grouper
10-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks for that one Pyramid Kid! This just in from the camphost, all campgrounds including Last Chance and Chilcoot are officially closed and locked this Thursday 10/11 with the exception of Spring Creek at the lake which will be a pack in/out campground with no services open until further notice.

Thanks again for the info guys. The reports are good so if anyone else gets a wild hair come and ask us for a shot of the whisky. We'll be the ones raisen hell. ;)