PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Sunday

Desertdog
10-07-2007, 05:36 PM
Hit the water about 8:30 fished til 100. Had 4 grandsons along and their mom so 6 rods in water. Ran Lymans at 15 and 30 plus 2 flat lines with coyote's. Switch out 2 of the lymans for green apex. 1 small fish. Water temp about 57. Fished Red Bay then the Willows. Water was bumpy butthe sun was out and it was a pleasant day.

Talk to one group just heading out planning to fish 80-100'.. I tried to educate them...

FishMischief
10-07-2007, 06:33 PM
We got into about 10 fish at the needles this morning. We started on the east side but I didn't mark one fish there so we moved on real fast. Had a big one o the boat but lost it at the net. Was at least 8lb if not more. Took 2 nice long runs.

Allot of under 16 fish.

drstressor
10-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Pyramid Kid and I were out there today as well. We got a total of 11 fish. They are right up on the beaches in the AM just like mid winter. We got 3 trolling flies in 6 ft of water in Red Bay first thing in the AM. 2 on a tui chub pattern and 1 on a Peacock. We saw the shore fishermen catch a few over there as well. They would do a lot better casting along the beach instead of trying to heave out to deep water. We got the rest in Anderson Bay and the east side of Fox Bay. Again, right along the beaches. Nothing along the Bat Cave or Hells Kitchen rocks. They are definitely in winter mode already. Focus on the beaches rather than the rock walls. We had 3 keepers, 1 short, and the rest nice slot fish. Watermelon worked best today for both Coyote spoons and Apexes.

Captain Compassion
10-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Pyramid Kid and I were out there today as well. *We got a total of 11 fish. *They are right up on the beaches in the AM just like mid winter. .

Any reports from places down south like Pop Corn?

CC

chicofishrmen
10-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Nice job one & all, but carp did all of you forget your camera's! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/sad.gif Big or small or in between, Cutt's are beautiful fish, so take some pic's for the rest of us, for crying out loud! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/angry.gif

45_Auto
10-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Okay Doc, some additional info would be nice. How much weight were you running, and what was the setback? I've only run lymans and apexes, so flies are new to me.

Pyramid_Kid
10-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Nice job one & all, but carp did all of you forget your camera's! *http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/sad.gif Big or small or in between, Cutt's are beautiful fish, so take some pic's for the rest of us, for crying out loud! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/angry.gif

Matter of fact I did forget my camera. But I tell you what I learned a whole bunch today. Especially about Doc. He is actually a real person, not some stuffy professor type that everybody (at least I did) thinks he is. He swears and cusses and everthing. He even ate most of my donuts (with a little encouraging on my part)

Doc thanks again, for the invite today. I kinda took a little butt chewing when I got home because we were a little (3hrs) longer than I told my wife. But what I learned today would be worthy of sleeping on the couch for a couple of days. I had a really good time and hope to go with you again someday.

Pyramid_Kid
10-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Okay Doc, some additional info would be nice. How much weight were you running, and what was the setback? I've only run lymans and apexes, so flies are new to me.

About a 5 foot length of lead core line with about an 8ft leader, with 50 ft set back. Very shallow and very slow. We were in 8-12 ft @ 1.2 mph or less.

Even if you dont run or try to run the fly set up you could be successful doing the same thing with a spoon, lyman, or whatever else your gonna pull through the water. For the most part I think it was all about being in the depth of water and not what we were pulling. Know what I mean??

45_Auto
10-07-2007, 09:10 PM
PK, thanks for the info. I do have some trolling flies if that's the ticket. Just needed to know the extra info.

And as far as Doc goes, I'll agree with you there. He might get snarfy from time to time, but that goes with the territory. Besides, he and I shared some of the same stomping grounds years ago, so it's not that hard to know where he's coming from.

bankerbull
10-07-2007, 09:24 PM
same here, I had the pleasure of meeting Doc last year, very nice guy....

Desertdog
10-08-2007, 05:23 AM
So thats who I saw over there running close and slow. Should have known. Oh and yes we forgot the Cameras.

SuperDave
10-08-2007, 06:16 AM
Doc and PK,

Did you leave the shallows as soon as the sun was up or stay with it longer?

drstressor
10-08-2007, 07:38 AM
We started trolling flies just as the sun came over the ridge. We quit after about an hour to go look for more fish. We put on the downriggers and trolled from "the rock" down to the end of the Bat Cave area for nada, S trolling from in close out to 200 ft, 20' and 25' OTW. Then we worked the 25' to 50' contour off Red Bay figuring that by 10:00 AM figuring that the fish would have moved off the beach. They had not, since we saw a shore fisherman pick one up. Trolling north off LA rocks also produced nothing. Once we hit Anderson Bay, we started to pick up fish again. We worked in and out between maybe 12' and 40'. Just before we headed in, we ran up past Hells Kitchen and fished the east side of Fox Bay. There were fish there also. Right in between 12' and 20'.

I should have recognized you Desertdog. You were sitting out on your transom with a boat load of kids, right? :)

We talked with Oddie and Dee on the radio. They were trolling flies behind dodgers on the west side. They had some fish but they were complaining about LDRs. I think the dodger may give the fish more leverage to shake out the barbless hooks.

BTW, the no barb rule is great. We lost 0 fish on the flies, spoon, or Lymans. We tried to get them to shake off by themselves once they got to the boat. But we had to remove the hooks manually. But it sure was easy. Never even had to use the pliers.

I missed one strike on a fly for talking when I should have been fishing. :-[

CHICKFISHING58
10-08-2007, 07:45 AM
Great report hey PK ck your PM ::)

Desertdog
10-08-2007, 07:58 AM
Yup that was me with the boat load of kids Doc. Had them down from Idaho to catch fish.. just went fishing instead.. They did enjoy the boat ride.

Set_The_Hook
10-08-2007, 09:31 AM
I too snuck out for a trip with my new fishing partner. (my 2 1/2 yr old son) We beach launched from Sutcliffe and stayed in close. From noon to 2pm, caught 2. 1 slot fish and one 22" or so. Tiger stripe chartruese u20 between 15-20' otw.
Was a wonderful trip. My son had a blast trying to throw everything in the water.
About 1:30 made a quick run from sutcliffe to spider to see if any sniffers were out. Didn't see anyone. My son was sitting between my legs wrapped up in my coat. I realized about 1/2 way back from spider that he was asleep with his head on my knee. That was the pinnacle of our day.

Learned a expensive lesson about braid on downriggers though. I had been intending to cut off about 20' or so and re-tie. Now it is mandatory.
Oooops. 8lb ball, terminal clip, full set of stacker clips. Being lazy and dumb can get a little spendy.

Will post pics later

chicofishrmen
10-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Doc & PK,

With the trolling files were you guys using a wiggle fin or disc? Also given the shallow depth would a sideplaner generate more hook-ups (i.e. the boat noise spooking the fish)?

SuperDave
10-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Doc & PK,

With the trolling files were you guys using a wiggle fin or disc? Also given the shallow depth would a sideplaner generate more hook-ups (i.e. the boat noise spooking the fish)?

Having trolled flies with Doc, he prefers to hold the rod and provide the action, rod tip in circles or figure 8's. And yes, an electric motor and planer would improve the odds.

drstressor
10-08-2007, 09:52 AM
How was the ramp at Sutcliffe? *It looked like it was still all sand from up on the road.

I've never used wigglefins at Pyramid, but I have at Eagle. *They should work with a downrigger.

I find that you need to impart action to fly when trolling shallow. *The Jay Fair *Eagle Lake "twirl" works, but for some reason just using your wrist to jerk the rod seems to work better at Pyramid. *The fish often hit the fly on the drop back, so you have to keep line control all the time. *They generally really slam a trolled fly and fight pretty well with only a little hook in their mouths.

My standard setup is a full sinking fly line with a 12-15' leader of 8 lb test fluoro when I use a fly rod. *I let all the line out so that all I can see is the backing in the water. *I also keep pre-made rigs composed of 15' of lead core with 12'-15' 8 lb fluoro leader on board, since I only own 1 fly rod. *I just tie these rigs onto the end of a standard trolling outfit. *The knot joining the lead core and the mono has to be small enough to fit through the level wind guide. *This works as well or better than the fly rod.

The rig that PK started out using yesterday was a lot shorter since it had been around for a long time and I never throw anything away. ;) *The shot of lead core and the leader gets shorter each time you tie the rig on. * All you need is enough lead core to keep the fly at least half way to the bottom at 1.2 mph in 6-10 ft of water. *

When fishing tight and slow with flies, you can also run a U-20 flatfish with no weight at all. *A larger flatfish will dive too deep. *Sometimes the flatfish will out produce the flies.

We talked about side planners yesterday. I have never used them at Pyramid, but I'd bet that they would work great with flies or flatfish. *Especially is there is some chop on the water to impart some action to the flies.

SuperDave
10-08-2007, 09:57 AM
I'm bringing my painter pole outriggers to give them a try.

Mickey_Thomas
10-08-2007, 11:52 AM
He even ate most of my donuts Not bad for a guy who says he doesn't eat that stuff, funny how that works ;D I actually saw him eat at McDonalds in Sparks once ::) ;D ;D

BigB
10-08-2007, 03:50 PM

Hey Doc,

I did not think you went fishing to chatch fish?

Brian

drstressor
10-08-2007, 05:06 PM
That's becoming more true each year Brian. 8-)

Pyramid_Kid
10-08-2007, 05:11 PM

Hey Doc,

I did not think you went fishing to chatch fish?

Brian

Brian,
Not only did he catch fish, but he kept a limit also. I wasnt sure what to think.

BigB
10-08-2007, 05:52 PM
PK,

He usually keeps at least one fish. Let me know if you ever want to go out after we get off work.

Brian

Mickey_Thomas
10-08-2007, 06:20 PM
I guess he's trying to fill his freezer since I ate all his Halibut ;D ;D ;D I imagine he didn't know the storage charge, the electric charges, and he also didn't know Kathy likes Halibut ;) I better bring up a jar or two of Dennis's Kokonee candy and share it with him ;)

SuperDave
10-08-2007, 06:23 PM
I guess he's trying to fill his freezer since I ate all his Halibut ;D ;D ;D I imagine he didn't know the storage charge, the electric charges, and he also didn't know Kathy likes Halibut ;) I better bring up a jar or two of Dennis's Kokonee candy and share it with him ;)

Speaking of candy, do you still have my 2 jars from the day we moved you into storage? I believe it was left in your truck.

Mickey_Thomas
10-08-2007, 06:25 PM
::) ::) ::)Could still be in the truck, I haven't cleaned it in 3 years ;D

drstressor
10-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Not only did he catch fish, but he kept a limit also.

Unlike most of you guys, I don't just play with my food. ;)

Pyramid_Kid
10-08-2007, 06:50 PM
PK,

He usually keeps at least one fish. *Let me know if you ever want to go out after we get off work.

Brian

That would be great, except for the fact that I dont get off of work untill 6pm. I work 4 10's 0730 to 1800 Tues-Fri. But Im generally free on Mondays. Im sure we could swing something though. I may be going out either this coming wednesday or Friday.

Pyramid_Kid
10-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Not only did he catch fish, but he kept a limit also.

Unlike most of you guys, I don't just play with my food. ;)

Yeah but I like to play your food and then release it ;D. Good thing we arent in Alaska fishing, wouldnt want the natives to be angry with us. It would be especially bad if I was from California [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]. But I guess that would be a different story.