PDA

View Full Version : Lake Chabot?

TroutBum01
10-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Whats the word at Lake Chabot lately? I was planning on taking my Dad and one of his buddies out to the lake tomorrow for some trout fishing from the bank. Theres been a lot fish dumped over the last two weeks, wonder if the water temps are low enough yet? Any info would be great, thanks.

TroutBum01

sikkwidditt
10-03-2007, 01:24 PM
I was there last week tryin to catch a crappie with my kid...no luck so far....hopefully when it gets cold...........

DazShooter
10-03-2007, 01:49 PM
My experience there is that warm water plus recent plants equals fat and happy commorants and disapointed fisherman.

wildcat092
10-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Fat and happy commorants is correct; however, with each year getting worse is there any time that the commorants aren't happier than the fisherman. Chabot has a huge problem on its hands.

joshc40
10-03-2007, 03:21 PM
To be honest with you, you can catch fish at Chabot if you know what to use and where to go. I've personally only caught four or so trouts from this lake and a lot of misses. Many people who are successful at this lake use night crawlers. I've caught one on a night crawler cause i like to use powerbait. But, I got this one hit last time i was there, it only took half or my worm, the part without the hook... There are some smart fish in there but people do catch them. The other three were on silver castkasters. I was fishing from a tube and hooked three trouts in less then like an hour and a half. I was on a tube so I think that made the difference. I would say use worms and try a couple castmasters. I've heard some people catching tons of trout next the tullies, people said they act like bass and come out right when you pass those weeds and tullies. I personally would not go to this lake though. Like people said, those dam birds take all the fish. But if you want, you can always go for bluegills under the docks. Not too big but pretty fun to catch.

ol_dude
10-03-2007, 07:03 PM
I was there a couple weeks ago mostly to tweak a new FF but still hooked fish… water temp is still too warm – high 68 degrees on average… there are large carry-overs but they are deep… 25ft+ and very sluggish… they do this for a reason… I’m not a bait fisherman, but will admit it’s more productive now… especially back by the dam… If you top-line troll for bigger fish… afternoon is best… choose wide action type lures… tight swimmers are best in spring… baring some heat wave the temp will be much better in a few weeks…
The cormorants are a problem but typically more for the smaller/curious/soon digested DFG brand…. heck I hate hooking them anyway…. The Lassen’s tend to be hardier and quick… both are being planted... If it’s any consolation…. a tip to those without a FF… The cormorants are a nuisance but remember they aren’t socializing… they are the best budget bird dog you can find… troll about 40ft to the outside of where they pop-up…. That’s where the smarter fish will scatter to…
I’ll head out there again in a couple of weeks and post a report…. Good luck…

TroutBum01
10-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the info. Im heading over there in the late morning to give it shot. I'll be sure to post a report tomorrow about any sucess or lack there of.

TroutBum01

BusterBrown
10-04-2007, 06:52 PM
thanks for the information...where is the best shore spot on the lake

TroutBum01
10-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Got to Chabot around 10 this morning. Guy in the front office said that they stocked yesterday from Mt. Lassen Trout Farm. We walked down to Coots and there was a 25 mph wind blowing right into our faces, so we walked back and fished between the first and second docks. In three hours of fishing I went 2 for 3 with the biggest around 15", and saw about 10 other fish on stringers. Both of my fish were caught on red power egg above green powerbait. Overall good day on the water, beats a day doing anything else.

TroutBum01

FlyMonkey
10-05-2007, 11:22 PM
I was at Chabot about 2 weeks ago and saw a lot of bass activity on the surface. However, while on the bank, I saw several LARGE trout swimming by not more than 6-10 feet away. And no, they weren't stripers. Just large trout. Bigger than I've seen except for a few pulled out by people trolling.

After I saw those guys, I paid more attention to the fish jumping out of the water and sure enough about 1 in 5 that I could get a good look at looked to be decent sized trout.

I'm planning to go this weekend. I've caught several 24+ inch trout out of here and although I was skunked a couple of weeks ago, I saw people pulling them out of shallow water. I think they were coming up after some bait fish.

Normally, I get them down deep, from the bank.

HeyNiceFish
10-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Good Job TroutBum!

I might give that place a shot in a couple of weekends.
Hopefully the action will start to pick up.

HNF

fishingguy
10-06-2007, 10:08 PM
I hit Chabot today with my gf. Rented a boat and Fished from 2:30pm to 5:30pm. I got 3 hits on my broken back rapala J7 and my gf got one hit on a florescent red Kastmaster (normally this lure has done real well here), but not today. We ended up getting skunked for the day. :(

Nice blue sky and sunny today, but was a little windy!!!

Hopefully the fishing will pick up soon!!! I saw a couple of guys at the fish cleaning station when we were leaving with about 4 or 5 Rainbows, all were planter sizes.

Good luck if you go out there!

Fishingguy

HeyNiceFish
10-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Hey Fishingguy.

What size kastmaster were you using? 1/4 ounce? I've had many luck with the firetiger rapalas and kastmasters.

HNF