PDA

View Full Version : Pryamid Cold, windy, and slow 1 Oct 2007

Pyramid_Kid
10-01-2007, 02:15 PM
The subject title just about sums it up for Pyramid today. *I ran into Fishbrain, Troutkiller, Chickfishin58, and Fishinbuddy. But those where the only sniffers I could raise on the radio.

I did catch one 19 incher out infront of the separator rock. I was in about 50 ft of water 20 ft otw, pulling a frog patter Lyman. That was my only action [smiley=duh.gif]. But Im not gonna feel sorry for myself as it appear to be the same for everybody else I spoke with on the dock.

Im hoping that the weather will be better on Friday, as I will give it another go then. If your gonna be on the water then give me a shout channel 69.

drstressor
10-01-2007, 02:28 PM
So you went anyway? I stuck my head out the door this morning and went back to bed. The front took longer to get through than they predicted. I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow if the winds lay down tonight.

Did you happen to get a surface temperature?

Pyramid_Kid
10-01-2007, 02:42 PM
So you went anyway? *I stuck my head out the door this morning and went back to bed. *The front took longer to get through than they predicted. *I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow if the winds lay down tonight.

Did you happen to get a surface temperature?

I did according to my fish finder the surface temp was 57. But Ive found that mine is a little off compared to others. So I want to say that it was somewhere between 57 and 60.

Launching and recovering wasnt to bad. The wind was mostly from the north maybe quartering from the east ever so slightly. If I thought for one second that the wave action and wind were no good I never would have put it. But there were little boats out there. Like 12 ft little boats. Doesnt make them or me smart but I felt ok with launching.

Topaz_Tom
10-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Sounds like I made the right decision waiting till Wednesday. ::)

EXCAVATOR
10-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Pyramid Kid, Nice to see a Pyramid report ;D ;D ;D *and one fish is better than none *::) *I tried to make it up for the opener but I have too much work this week.

I'll be up on Saturday and give it a try. *

Replaced all of my Pyramid Lures hooks with single barb-less *;) What a pain but now all of the fish I release will lead happy lives :-? :-?

Thanks for the first of your many reports from Pyramid this year ;)

EXCAVATOR

fishlipd
10-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Hi All,
If I wanted to go to Pyramid what kind of permits do I need to get, ect... and what are the goto lures I shouldn't be on the water without? Thanks and tight lines. 8-)

BigB
10-01-2007, 04:55 PM
The Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue responeded out there this morning around 8 am for a capsized boat over by the Pyramid. The initial call said that there were three people in the boat. Two of the people made it to shore and were able to get out with their cell phone, saying that the third subject was still in the water. A later report said that the third guy made it to shore, so The Sheriff's Office Search & Rescue was called off. I am sure that the Tribe's Search and Rescue still responded.

I talked to a friend who told me that his manager's boat sank out there today. He did not know where on the lake it sank, so it is unknown if they were one and the same incident. He said that the boss's boat was 17 ft Bayliner. The first wave swamped and killed the motor. The second wave filled the boat with water up to the gunnel and the third wave sunk it.

So, everyone needs to very careful when they are out on Pyramid Lake.

Brian

drstressor
10-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi All,

If I wanted to go to Pyramid what kind of permits do I need to get, ect... and what are the goto lures I shouldn't be on the water without? Thanks and tight lines.

For some reason or other the Pyramidfest information was posted on the Campfire board this year. There are links with more info on Pyramid fishing then anyone could probably absorb there.

Here is a summary of the fees for this year:

http://www.crosbylodge.com/fishing/regs_highlights.htm

Here is a link to the Pyramidfest info:

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1190419757

Kell_I
10-01-2007, 06:52 PM
So glad all sniffers home safe today!!! Scary day to be on the lake if you ask me [smiley=angling.gif]

Pyramid_Kid
10-01-2007, 07:04 PM
So glad all sniffers home safe today!!! Scary day to be on the lake if you ask me [smiley=angling.gif]

It wasnt to bad on the west side of the lake. It was a lumpy but do able. If it was much worse than it was I probably would not have launched. I base my go no go on whether or not my wife would be comfortable on the water is said conditions. So if I dont think she would be comfortable I wont launch.

Kell_I
10-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Good man pyramid!! we do know something :)

troutfan
10-02-2007, 06:04 AM
For some reason or other the Pyramidfest information was posted on the Campfire board this year. There are links with more info on Pyramid fishing then anyone could probably absorb there.
Yeah next year we should put it on the trout board where it belongs. ;)

cynnate
10-02-2007, 06:26 AM
I've got a question. Do you need to have a Nevada fishing license to fish Pryamid Lake? :-?

45_Auto
10-02-2007, 06:36 AM
n8, pyramid is tribal land. And all you need is a permit from the tribe.

Kell_I
10-02-2007, 06:37 AM
n8 you have to have a tribal permit to fish you can pick them up at Crosbys Lodge, the ranger station at Sutcliffe, or the smoke shop at the wadsworth exit

johnbfishin
10-02-2007, 06:39 AM
Yeah next year we should put it on the trout board where it belongs. ;)

There does seem to be inconsistencies with where things get posted and when things get stickied.
While I'm on the subject of stickies it does seem the Kokanee board mods are a bit biased on what gets stickied and when. I don't think the Hell stock thread was stickied until 2 weeks before the event while there is a sticky there now for an event that is a month away.
Just a casual observation but it appears that the playing field isn't level.

drstressor
10-02-2007, 07:27 AM
This isn't a game John. ;)

The mods just try to do their best. They rarely do anything on their own. *Often members send PMs to ask to have threads stickied. If this doesn't happen, they tend not to get stickied.

I was away all summer and the other mods just followed up requests for info about Pyramidfest on the Campfire board. *That's how the threads ended up there.

I'll post an invitation and info thread about Pyramidfest on the Trout and Freshwater boards tonight. *Troutfan can make it a sticky if anybody asks. ;D

johnbfishin
10-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Thanks Lee, that makes it a little more clearer as to how things came about.

I know the mods do the best they can and their efforts are appreciated. 8-)

SuperDave
10-02-2007, 07:50 AM
I'd give Chico the benefit of the doubt but he is the mod of both boards. It's all his fault. ;)

johnbfishin
10-02-2007, 07:54 AM
I'd give Chico the benefit of the doubt but he is the mod of both boards. *It's all his fault. * ;) *

Isn't this his Rookie season as a mod?, kinda like leaving the fox to tend the chicken coop. ;)

cynnate
10-02-2007, 08:24 AM
Keli and 45, thanks for info. I have one more question. I have heard discussions that downriggers may be outlawed there this year. Is that true? :-? Thanks again. N8 ;D

chicofishrmen
10-02-2007, 08:32 AM
I'd give Chico the benefit of the doubt but he is the mod of both boards. *It's all his fault. * ;) *
Guilty! Now quit hijacking PK's thread!

n8-

No downriggers are still legal to use. Here are the reg changes.
http://www.crosbylodge.com/index_links/public_notice.html

Pyramid_Kid
10-02-2007, 08:39 AM
No worries on the Hi Jacking. It happens. ;)

Daily fishing rate $9, daily boating rate $9, $18 bucks for the day. Or you could by a season permit, at $74 dollars each $148. Its well worth it if you fish the lake at least 9 times during the season. Unless you plan to only fish from the beach. Down riggers are legal. All lures must be barbless. I highly recommend going single barbless, as it makes release much easier.

Places to purchase Pyramid permits, Crosby Lodge, Pyramid lake store, Winners Corner (Terribles) on Pyramid Hwy in Spanish Springs (on the way to the lake), 7-11 across the street from Winners Corner (Terribles), Mark Fore & Strike on Kietzkie Lane (Reno), Sportsmans Wharehouse Kietzkie lane Reno.

PK

Kell_I
10-02-2007, 08:54 AM
n8 downriggers are allowed, you must have barbless hooks not even a barbed hook in your tackle box

chicofishrmen
10-02-2007, 09:16 AM
n8 downriggers are allowed, you must have barbless hooks not even a barbed hook in your tackle box

Kelli, are you 100% sure about that?

"SECTION 3. ILLEGAL TACKLE.

3.1.2 Only one combination of rod, line and not more than two hooks (as defined in section 1.6 above) which hooks shall be barb less, shall be used by one person at a time and equipment shall be closely attended by such person while fishing."

This has been brought up before on BS thread, and the consensus was barbless hooks for only lures in the water? Where did you get that info.? I just to be sure, so no one (myself included) gets fined.

FishMischief
10-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Well I think its in the water but I would also add a lure attached to your pole with hooks not crimped could show intent to put it in the water.

BigB
10-02-2007, 04:13 PM
*I base my go no go on whether or not my wife would be comfortable on the water is said conditions. So if I dont think she would be comfortable I wont launch.

PK,

If I lived by your philosophy, I would not be boating until June! *When the air temperature is reaching 100 degrees and the water temp is around 75 degrees.

Brian

drstressor
10-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Hey, I wimped out this morning. ;D The wind was only 10-15, but right out of the SE, which is the worst possible direction for Pelican.
I saw 2 boats swamped at the ramp. One was on the beach after flipping over yesterday. After helping out a bit (including helping to get Fernley Tim's old boat on the trailer), we just headed back without launching.

It looked like it was starting to settle down by 11:45, but I didn't want to stay out all afternoon. Maui_mark waited a while also before finally putting in just as we were leaving. I hope everybody did well in the afternoon. All I heard were sob stories from the boats coming in the the morning.

Now I that I can go any day, why suffer? ;)

Mickey_Thomas
10-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Hey, I wimped out this morning.Dang, and I waited all day at the computer for your report ;D ;D ;D
Now I that I can go any day, why suffer? ;) This is true Doc, glad you got to visit with some sniffers on the dock while waiting, bet it made your day :D

jpayne
10-02-2007, 05:42 PM
wednesdays weather forcast is for winds out of the west 10-15 with gusts to 35mph. I am gonna be there in the morning to fish if it doesnt look too bad.

Mako
10-03-2007, 10:05 AM
What do you mean by swamped? I sure would like to see a pic of that 8-)

drstressor
10-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Folks would tie up to the dock to get their trucks and the waves would break over their transoms and fill up the boats. Only smaller open boats were affected. One guy had to remove his motor and gear so that the boat could be pulled up on shore and dumped.

I've launched in much worse weather. But that was when I was younger. ;)

fernley_tim
10-03-2007, 10:19 AM

Kelli, are you 100% sure about that?

"SECTION 3. ILLEGAL TACKLE.

3.1.2 Only one combination of rod, line and not more than two hooks (as defined in section 1.6 above) which hooks shall be barb less, shall be used by one person at a time and equipment shall be closely attended by such person while fishing."

This has been brought up before on BS thread, and the consensus was barbless hooks for only lures in the water? Where did you get that info.? I just to be sure, so no one (myself included) gets fined.

kelli was out of line again ::) ;Dbarbless hooks that you are using ;)

CHICKFISHING58
10-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Fishing Buddy and I went out on Monday we ran into Don and Karen (Fishbrain) they were on the way to Eagle Lake Pyramid Kid was on his way out the next thing I know he was ready to launch again.

FB caught 1 I lost my favorite lure I had a great take down couldnít get to it fast enough no more using 6lb test for me Iím going back to the 12lb.

PK thank you for helping me put my boat on the trailer I still get scared and by the way he survived the dock.

>:(TIM LEAVE MY FRIEND KELLI ALONE ;D

Pyramid_Kid
10-03-2007, 04:42 PM
*If I lived by your philosophy, I would not be boating until June! *When the air temperature is reaching 100 degrees and the water temp is around 75 degrees.

Brian
[/quote]

Well there is a little bit of a fudge factor there. But my wife has decided on several occasions while up at Tahoe to go to Garwoods from Sand Harbor for lunch while it was pretty lumpy out. No white caps mind you but large rollers from wind. So I make some small exception when Im by myself. Mostly it boils down to common sense, and knowing your abilities and what your boat will handle. Now she will take the boat out on her own but if its more than light chop 1 footers forget it.

THE_TROUTKING
10-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Monday was hell I got up at 4:30
and went for a drive to block house because I sure wasnt going to launch my boat when I got down there at sunrise there was all ready 15 people there :( . So I drove down a little more and tried throwing some lures for a hour with no takers . I got the boat ready lunched and only fished a hour with a 3 ft north swell. said screw that And took the boat in.
Tuesday I launched and ran up to the north end tired some jig fishing and trolled a little while for nothing headed over to hells kitchen and trolled no hits. Trolled red bay and around pyramid rock for nothing so I headed back across the lake to thunder bolt bay(upper willows) and finally at 3:00 pm I got my first fish on a rainbow apex 15 FTW in 20 ft water 21 inch the picked up one more 23 inch same tec. I did talked to and see Maui Mark and Fernley Tim which is always cool to talk to sniffers on the water. So Ill be back up there in 7 to 8 days and looking forward to fest .
Brian

drstressor
10-03-2007, 08:54 PM
With the water temperature already as low as it is, I think we should remember the fest 2 years ago. The Willows and the other north bays were the ticket. There doesn't seem to be many fish suspended off the walls this year. They must already be in the bays close to shore.

We need some stable weather to let the fish get into a pattern. It'll get good eventually.

johnbfishin
10-04-2007, 04:15 AM
We need some stable weather to let the fish get into a pattern. *It'll get good eventually.

I predict that will be in 7-8 days, roughly. 8-)

THE_TROUTKING
10-04-2007, 08:02 AM
My fish finders and Fernley Tim said 63 and and it was has high has 64 degrees on Tuesday. I check the willows and there was no fish holding at 40ft which usually are I caught my 2 just south of Thunder bolt bay in 20 to 25 feet of water.

And over on the East side in Anderson bay there was a guy in float tub jigging and catch a lot of fish from 40 to 15 ft .He said he was using a blue and silver jig that where the bait was holding and the birds was working that area hard

Brian

maui_mark
10-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Just got in the door. Yakmotor had to cancel on me the last minute.
*It was a little rough out there on Monday. Got beat about a bit, but hooked up on some decent "slot fish". Not many, but enough to make the day not so miserable. PK I heard you out there on day 1, but you were a ways off if the static was any indication, and when I tried to raise you, no go... about 30 minutes afterward tried to use the microphone again, and discovered it had "self-unplugged". Poor excuse, but will search you out next time I'm there.
Tuesday. Doc, the launch was uneventful, your boat would have been fine, and you had a crew member! The launch was the worst of it. 3 minutes offshore torwards Pyramid and the water settled right down. I tried to raise you on the VHF to let you know, even made sure the mic waas plugged in, but no go. Tuesday was the best water day of the 3 days I fished.
I fished at 60' for about 1 minute or less, then came up over a hump to about 30' and hooked my first fish of the day bouncing the downrigger ball off the top of the "hump" just north of the Pyramid... thats when I remembered the " bad juju" about fishing deep, never set the downrigger below 30' after that. Wont again. Caught fish at Pyramid, Thunderbolt, and the Pinnacles.
*Pinnacles was on Wednesday, and there was a NOAA severe wind warning for 2pm untill late that night. The Pinnacles "kicked up" about 1 hour early, but I caught 4 slot fish, and 1 18" that I kept before then. It got a little rough heading south into the wind (which was supposed to be blowing from the NW! It was obviously not following instructions or listening to the NOAA channel!). The water was smooth down by Pelican and points south, but having just been "Chiropractically Malladjusted" by Pyramid Lake and the North River, I though it prudent to get off the water while there was no mad rush to escape the wind. It seemed prudent to get off the water when there was nobody waiting, doing that singlehanded "tying up the boat dock" while I rush my out of shape body up to the truck as fast as I can. Mission accomplished, nobody waiting to launch or retrieve when I returned. I spent 3-4 hours of maragaritas @ Crosby's waiting for the lake to "froth-up" but it never did. I, apparently was the one that got "frothed". Actually it felt pretty good!
*This lake is hard for me to "read" weatherwise, does it get any easier the more time spent there?
My FF read 60-61 degrees pretty much everywhere on the lake. I saw and targeted fish from 7.5'-26'. I caught all of my fish on Firetiger or Red Dot Frog pattern Lymans. Hard to take pix, measure,& C&R single handed. The only fish pic I have is of the 18" that I kept, and it isn't going to really get anybodies attention.
I met Doc, TroutKing, Fernley Tim, Tennesse Bob and several other sniffers that my memory for names cheats me of at this moment, each and every one a genuinely nice person. Sorry that I can't make the "Fest" and meet more of you.
It was a good trip, but a long drive home. I think I am in need of further hydration... mark *

drstressor
10-04-2007, 08:09 PM
This lake is hard for me to "read" weatherwise, does it get any easier the more time spent there?

Not really.

The reason for the strange wind directions is that the lake is in a north-south valley with high mountains on the east and west. A forecast for an easterly or westerly wind direction initially starts out as a north or south wind on the lake until the system is strong enough to spill over the mountains. Those mountains also have several large canyons that can funnel the wind into the valley from strange directions for short periods of time as the pressure gradients build up. It can be ripping at the north end of the lake and be flat calm at the south end and vice versa.

I rarely go out if the weather is the least bit unstable anymore. The boat can take it, but I can't. I pretty much only fish when a high pressure system is directly over the Great Basin in the spring and fall and when a flat low settles in during the winter. Some of the calmest weather all year is during mid winter.

Fronts typically move through on about a weekly basis. The lake is nice the days between the frontal passages. Right now we are in an unsettled condition with a new front every few days. The long term forecast looks better. Let's hope that it holds for the fest next weekend.

johnbfishin
10-04-2007, 09:15 PM
This is why, that I will never, ever launch my new boat from that scrubby lake in the middle of nowhere...too many rules, too expensive, too far away, no trees, no scenery, one restaurant...., to me and others I have spoken with, its just a big wet spot out in the desert....

Yeah, but it's one hell of a fishing party....

johnbfishin
10-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Never could figure it out John, why there?? why not Topaz, or Eagle Lake, or any of the other 50 or so?? why that place? *BY THE WAY, John, how are your injuries doing ? that accident last year hurt ya bad..ya ok now?

Well, Pyramid is one heck of a fishery when the bite is on and how it got started is a long story. I really can't answer "why there" other than it just is.

I think you must be talking about John Hembree who was injured in a crash last year.....I'm a different John but thank you all the same.

Steelerfan
10-05-2007, 08:27 AM
This shouldn't be considered a highjack since it is about wind. Here goes, Doc what causes the lake to erupt into 5'-6' swells, Yes I Said SWELLS, and come at you form three diffrent directions at once. This has only happened to me once but it was a sketchy return to Pelican from Hell's Kitchen.