PDA

View Full Version : Lake level at  Shasta

sugarloaf
09-26-2007, 08:11 AM
As noted Shasta Lake Levels are lower this year . Keep in mind that Shasta has more water and surface area than any reservoir in California. Shasta is still almost half full
Regarding Boat ramps there is a second ramp next door to the Sugarloaf Marina. The ramp is all blacktop and in good shape. This ramp does not have a dock so it is best to have a partner with you. Regarding marina closures, all of the marinas in Lakehead are open. They will be open at least until after the Shasta Lake Trout Derby on October 13 & 14. If you need information about lake levels or marina operations feel free to contact me. Hope to see you all at the Trout Derby next month.

Harold Jones,
Sugarloaf Cottages Resort,
President, Shasta Lake Business Owners Association,
1-800-953-4432

plattj1
09-26-2007, 02:53 PM
I went out to the Jones Valley ramp just to see what kind of shape it's in for this weekend. It is dirt and there is a dock in place. The last 1/2 mile is a little rough but I would take my passenger car out there, just go slow. Parking is scattered and not very organized, just park where you can.

The ramp would be no problem for my 19' Mariner, if I had a large glass boat I might think twice due to the haul out, but if you have a truck you should be fine.

It seems wierd to drive all that way and not see any water until the very last minute when you get there. The lake is WAY down.

Definitely makes me glad I have an aluminum boat!

wkokaneeman
09-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Hows the Centamudi boat ramp? still in good shape for the derby with a large Jetboat?

sugarloaf
09-27-2007, 04:42 PM
The last word I got was that Centamudi was not in good shape. I would go launch at Bridge Bay.Depending on where you are staying the other option is to launch at Lakehead and rent a slip at Antlers. Hope this helps

wkokaneeman
10-01-2007, 03:39 PM
I have been told by Gary Miralles,that the boat ramp at Centimudi is fine for launching.they are using a "secondary" ramp off the point,and it is no problem. it would be nice if someone up there in the next few days fishing,could take a picture of it,and post it here so we can get a look see at it.that would be cool!!

fishhawk101
10-01-2007, 05:13 PM
How's the fishing up there? I've been thinking about camping there before it gets too cold.

Cal.Kellogg
10-02-2007, 07:13 AM
Shasta is low, but it is still a massive lake and there are plenty of boat launching options....I just returned from houseboating up there and had a wonderful time....Don't let the low levels keep you from paying the lake a visit the fishing is red hot!!!!!!...You can read about my latest Shasta adventure in the upcoming print edition of the Fish Sniffer.......Cal Kellogg

Cal.Kellogg
10-02-2007, 07:21 AM
For any of you Sniffers that want on the spot information about Shasta, give Harold a call. He lives a couple hundred yards from the water and he knows what is going on up there day to day....He also operates some very comfortable cabins!!! If I could get away to fish in the upcoming fall derby on the weekend of October 13th that's where I would be staying...its like a 10 minute drive from the Bass Hole where the derby will be headquartered and where you can get some killer food and drinks...I stayed at Sugarloaf during the spring derby and it was a great event with a lot of fish being caught....As things stand right now the lake is turning over so there should be trout spread from the surface to about 30 feet deep when the fall derby rolls around....Pull or cast shad pattern spoons (Cripplures, Hum Dingers, Excels) or shad pattern plugs and you'll have no problem racking up a handsome mess of holdover rainbows and you might even get lucky and tangle with a big 'ol brown.......Cal Kellogg

Cal.Kellogg
10-02-2007, 08:15 AM
I've fished with Gary a fair amount....He is an old hand at launching off the dirt....I've never gone out with him when we launched on a "launch ramp" His method certainly works well if you don't mind beaching your boat while you go to back in your trailer at the end of the day...I've seen other guys back thier boat in off the dirt and simply leave the trailer in the water and then just drive back onto it at the end of the day....Having said that you don't need to launch off the dirt...Bridge Bay, Lake Head, Jones Valley and other places offer launching off traditional ramps at this time.....No problem.....Cal Kellogg

Budman
10-02-2007, 02:08 PM
I just took a run up to Centimudi, it is in pretty good shape considering the lake level. *

The Forest Service has bladed the approach to the low water ramp, which, if I recall correctly, may be merely an old road from the dam construction days. *Owing to mud encroachment, the remaining bit of ramp is single lane--if you are a lone launcher, plan on getting some mud in your boat owing to where you will have to bank it for while you park your rig. *Also, if you are a lone launcher and are not familiar with the low water ramp, you might want to wait until daylight to get into the water.

Current parking is adequate but not organized. *If past history stands, the consessionaire may reserve some area for Disabled Parking.

Again, currently it is one boat at a time, launching or delaunching. *If this holds true for the tournament, allow yourself plenty of time to get to the weigh-in.

If in fact you do enter the tournament, you may want to take the advice of Harold Jones of Sugarloaf. *The Public Ramp at Sugarloaf will allow you to get back to the B******* quicker than any other access and allow you to fish a little longer.

Be safe...

sugarloaf
10-03-2007, 05:42 AM
My advice for the derby would be. If you are not staying where a dock is available to you. I would rent a boat slip at Antlers Marina (1-800-238-3924) or Sugarloaf Marina (1-530-238-2711) and not be bothered with launching on derby day.

Harold

wkokaneeman
10-03-2007, 01:05 PM
*Harold;

* I have a question for you. what is the deal with obtaining a boat slip at Antlers or Sugarloaf,to leave our boat there during the derby? if i were to get one,how safe will the boat be,and the equipment aboard? is there a locked gate accross the dock,leading to where the rented boat slips are?,or is there someone watching throughout the night? there are a lot of characters out there,waiting for a chance to rip someone off.are our boats protected in one of these ways,or possibly another. i do have an alarm on the boat,but,where i will be staying at is several miles away from Antlers & Sugarloaf,and if the alarm sounds,i will not be around to turn it off,and check to see if something is up.the alarm will reset after about 1 minute though. if protected in some way,how much is the charge for a boat slip per day? any details you can provide will be appreciated!!
*Thanks for your help!!

sugarloaf
10-03-2007, 06:56 PM
I canít speak for the marinas. I have not had any problems with theft on my dock. My suggestion is to call the Marinas and find out what they are going to do for the derby weekend

wkokaneeman
10-04-2007, 07:44 AM
You're name here has "Sugarloaf Cottages" after it.can you speak for Sugarloaf?

sugarloaf
10-04-2007, 05:44 PM
I think I can, I own Sugarloaf Cottages

Budman
10-04-2007, 06:35 PM
I think I can, I own Sugarloaf Cottages

And from personal local experience, I know that Harold is a sportsman and purveyor of fishing conditions as he knows it. *Many of the readers of this site respect the word of Gary Miralles. *And Gary would support any words Harold would use to support the infrequent reports we are getting in a season of thin effort. *To include areas for parking your boat.

One might pay a serious fee for absolutee freedom from serious harm from bad guys.

While none of us are comfortable with leaving our boat unaccompanied in a strange dock, perhaps we might consider the alternative of sleeping on our throne of happiness... *

And, with that, I have been shone as having exceeded my three liter maximum. *The result of which deletes any believability... * Bud