PDA

View Full Version : Lake Sonoma steelies

MankinD
09-30-2007, 07:47 PM
I only had a few hours open on sunday afternoon so I took my neighbor Steve to the lake to test the action of some trolling flies before Pyramid.
We hit the water about 3pm. After checking action of new flies at different speeds alongside the boat, we rigged up for my first real attempt at catching some steelies at my home lake. I hadn't fished for them since I was a kid fishing dry creek before the dam was built.
We trolled across the face of the dam and up the north shore past the sherriff's dock. Marked fish at about 50-60ft. Found a honey hole a little northwest of the point in front of the sherriff's dock. Landed two (13 and 14-1/2) and had several hit and release. All action was on small kokanee/trout size Apex, firetiger w/Pro-cure gel Trophy Trout @ 50-55ft OTW between 1.4-1.9mph. A couple other boats were working same area and saw a couple landed looked like better size than ours. Not bad for a quick hour and a half mid afternoon trip. We can only imagine what it might have been like if we put in a serious day on the lake.

Steve with his first landlock Steelie
http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/1262/img2441450x338on0.jpg

And his meal for tonight....
http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/6336/img2443450x338zm2.jpg

A satisfying afternoon for this captain, able to help a friend load the BBQ tonight.

Doug

DuramaxDan
09-30-2007, 11:49 PM
Nice job Doug! i hope to give that lake a try soon maybe you could give me a few pointers.

MankinD
10-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Actually Dan, this was my first attempt at them and I didn't have time to really search for them or try different tackle. The_TroutKing and others on these boards have far more experience here.

Doug

Schu
10-02-2007, 01:02 PM
I never knew they had landlocked Stealhead

TroutWagon
10-02-2007, 01:27 PM
There a good population of fish in that lake that the locals keep quite so nobody fishes out the remaining fish that have survived the intrapment behind the Dry creek dam. All the fish in the lake are wild and have never been stocked by the hatchery below the dam. These fish naturely
reproduce by swimming up the feeder streams in winter and spawn up in the mountains and return to the lake and live. So, I urge people to not abuse this lake and respect the chance to actually fish for wild hard fighting fish that are not truck trout. Catch & Release is a huge part of why this lake is still a great fishery. An older gentleman told me this 10 years ago and the fishing is still as good as it was then as it is now, So that proves C&R will preserve this fishery. He also said it's not bad to take a couple of the smaller ones for table fair because there very good eating, but the larger ones are the spawners so throw'um back :'( But that's why we have digital cameras :)

Thanks for listening

Rich

kong
10-02-2007, 01:30 PM
We were up there on Sat am and had a nice 20" in the box and tossed 2 14"-16" back, got at 50' on watermellon apex with shad butter on it, we were there 2 weeks ago and boated 1 nice one 18',( I have pictures but can't seem to get them on this site ) its belly was FULL of 1", of what looked like shad. We did well by the Sheriff's cove, good luck and tight lines to all, Kong