PDA

View Full Version : Dollars to DFG finally pay off

Tbonz69
02-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Would like to see more of this and less of them messing with the diver who's being legal and obeying the laws
DFG News Release
Wardens Arrest Five In Alleged Abalone Poaching Case
Jan. 9, 2009

Warden Patrick Foy (916) 651-2084 cell (916) 508-7095

Department of Fish and Game (DFG) wardens arrested five suspected abalone poachers this morning in Sonoma County. The incident culminated with the suspects pitching abalone out the window as they sped down Highway 1 with a warden closing in.

Game Warden Joe Laugesen contacted Charles Lester Miller IV, age 20, and Michael Ray Phipps, age 19, both of Santa Rosa after Miller completed a SCUBA dive near Fort Ross. He recognized him as a person he had recently arrested for suspicion of poaching abalone for commercial sale. That case has yet to make it through the judicial process.

Everything appeared in order and Warden Laugesen let him go, but he suspected something was amiss. He scoured the beach and located a hidden sack of abalone. Wardens conducted surveillance of the area until just after midnight, when suspects Miller and Phipps reappeared with three additional associates in two vehicles. They went through extensive effort to conduct counter-surveillance by switching cars, passing the area multiple times, searching for lookouts, etc. Two and a half hours later, the suspected team of poachers finally stopped to recover their stash of abalone. They were allowed to leave the scene.

Warden Laugesen then followed them and made a vehicle stop. In his headlights, Warden Laugesen saw an abalone ejected from the window of the vehicle as the driver sped down Highway 1. Soon after, a heavy duffel bag was pitched from the window, then a backpack, then another backpack. When they finally stopped, they were arrested and booked into Sonoma County Jail on felony conspiracy to poach abalone for commercial sale among other charges. Those arrested also include Joshua Cowan Berto, age 19, Joshua William Stockman, age 19, and Colin Robert Devlin, age 20, all of Santa Rosa.

Wardens searched the roadside and recovered 31 abalone from the side of Highway 1. 8-) [smiley=bartsimpson.gif] [smiley=suesscat.gif]

drinkin_buddy
02-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Sometimes they get their man or men in this case. Hoo-ray for the good guys. [smiley=appledancing.gif]

johnbfishin
02-25-2009, 10:50 PM
That just goes to show the persistence and the amount of time it can take for them to bust the poachers. A job well done!

nayr
02-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Glad to hear they were caught [smiley=bananachaga.gif] . The shady crap people do to make money.... I dont get it. Oh well I hope they receive some harsh punishment.

cptdarel
02-26-2009, 01:03 AM
We can complain all we want about being harrased by F&G, they are devoted bunch of cops protecting our resorces, and getting paid peanuts.........well done and thank you.

metalmouth
02-26-2009, 03:16 AM
31 Abs. Can they give them 20 years for that??? >:(

Rusty_Hooks
02-26-2009, 08:38 AM
When does a punishment get tough enough to stop this?

What kind of embarrassment in their own community would be a deterrent?

kudos to the DFG for following through on this one

Richard_Kwon
02-26-2009, 09:34 AM
31 Abs. Can they give them 20 years for that??? *>:(

As much as I think those bozos deserve to go to jail, can you imagine how much more of our tax dollars would go to give these guys 3 hots and a cot for two decades (plus, uh... cable television?). Here's how I'd punish these guys:

- Fine them big time. Since they probably would be able to pay thousands of $, make them do community service (picking up trash from waterways, freeways or somethign). 30 weekend hours per month for 2 years minimum OR 30 weekend hours workign for the DFG, tracking other poachers.

- Suspend their driving licenses for 2 years (minimum)

- Banned from fishing in California for 5 years. not sure how they could enforce this (blacklist them from possessing a fishing license?).

For young guys to not have driving privileges or their weekends free for 2 years, along with no fishing privileges and having to pick up trash should teach them a good lesson. And it wouldn't cost as much as sending them to jail. :)

vando
02-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Well done DFG, it's unbelievable to me how someone like that does not understand that the rules are enforeced for such important reasons. I'm glad they got caught and I hope it lets other poachers know they will too.

lumpia
02-26-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm glad to hear that they were caught, but the reality of it is it will be plead down to a misd with mild community service time. I don't have too much faith in the courts to properly punish these guys. Sucks. Maybe an ACME anvil will find it's way to them one day.

metalmouth
02-26-2009, 07:01 PM

As much as I think those bozos deserve to go to jail, can you imagine how much more of our tax dollars would go to give these guys 3 hots and a cot for two decades (plus, uh... cable television?). Here's how I'd punish these guys:

- Fine them big time. Since they probably would be able to pay thousands of $, make them do community service (picking up trash from waterways, freeways or somethign). 30 weekend hours per month for 2 years minimum OR 30 weekend hours workign for the DFG, tracking other poachers.

- Banned from fishing in California for 5 years. not sure how they could enforce this (blacklist them from possessing a fishing license?).

For young guys to not have driving privileges or their weekends free for 2 years, along with no fishing privileges and having to pick up trash should teach them a good lesson. And it wouldn't cost as much as sending them to jail. :)

That works for me. Then they would go to jail for driving without a license. ;D

Ugbomb
02-26-2009, 08:51 PM
I say cut off there thumbs! So they have a hard time using tools and holding a rod. ;) Just kidding!

gon_troln
02-27-2009, 07:01 AM
I say hang the buzzards. JK Cudos for the DFG!!! It seems we are hearing of allot more busts lately. Its a good thing.
gt

Rusty_Hooks
02-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Golden bear...I think you may be onto something....well done ;)

No car.....at that age my boy would have flipped out...

then the parents have to deal with them full time ;D ;D

CDK
02-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Just for prospective
He recognized him as a person he had recently arrested for suspicion of poaching abalone for commercial sale. That case has yet to make it through the judicial process
Do you guys really think that punishment is in their thought process??
A few years of experience tells me that it will be like this " that f@$*$en cop, it is his fault that this is happening to me. Damn the bad luck. >:(

Richard_Kwon
02-27-2009, 11:18 AM

That works for me. Then they would go to jail for driving without a license. *;D

Hmm... Good point MM. Either way, it looks we'd all have to pay for it, both financially and having less abs out there. Sucks. Everybody loses when people try to break the rules.

abdiver12
02-27-2009, 01:08 PM
With the economy and unemployment in such a bad state, the DFG should be extra vigilant this year because the temptation to poach is going to be higher than ever. There's alot of desperate people out there who'll do anything for a quick buck, including wiping out abalone.

If you see anything suspicious happening, call this hotline:

1-888-DFG-CALTIP
1-888-334-2258

Polebrother
02-27-2009, 10:43 PM
They should do some jail time! *Also, after conviction prominently post their pics at tackle shops, boat/fishing shows, fishing magazines, and the like. *Let us see who these poachers are. *Finally...great job DFG!!!

fishhook 60
02-28-2009, 12:52 PM
good idea pole brother , they shouldnt be able to buy a fishing license either, do jail time and pay huge fines. but they wont they will get a slap on the wrist and be back to poaching in a week.

metalmouth
02-28-2009, 05:12 PM
With the economy and unemployment in such a bad state, the DFG should be extra vigilant this year because the temptation to poach is going to be higher than ever. *There's alot of desperate people out there who'll do anything for a quick buck, including wiping out abalone.

If you see anything suspicious happening, call this hotline:

1-888-DFG-CALTIP
1-888-334-2258

That number is on your fishing Lic as well! ;)

Harpazo
03-05-2009, 09:11 PM

That works for me. Then they would go to jail for driving without a license. *;D

Hmm... Good point MM. Either way, it looks we'd all have to pay for it, both financially and having less abs out there. Sucks. Everybody loses when people try to break the rules.

I completley agree with the punishment. It really does suck when a few idiots cost everyone else.