PDA

View Full Version : E.Carson 5lb Bow

BreakofDawn
09-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Took my neighbor for his first trip to the East Carson on Saturday. We were plannig on leaving at 5 am. I pulled the truck out about 15 til. I go in the house to put some ice in the the cest and look who is early. I say " Gray, I have to go get my coffee and I will be out in a second." Well I grab my coffee and make my way back to the office to grab the camera. It is the last place I had it. It not there. I look around for a few more second and figure I am not going to need it. Well we get there a little after 6 and it is still dark and it is starting to rain. I catch one little one right away but can't even see what it looks like. Toss him back. Well after about an hour we are fishing this pool and what do you know WHAM! At first it felt like a normal hit but once he started to run I knew I had a big one. It took my a few minutes to get him in but once I did I was like I can't believe I don't have a camera. Well we both have or cell phone and Gray took this shoot. I took a few but have not learned how to e-mail them yet. The fish was 22inches and just under 5 lbs. We ended up catching 5 a piece and were off the water by 10. I was fishing spinners while Gray was floating eggs. The fish still live but I don't know for how long. It had that Kpods(SP) circle spot on one of its sides. Should I have killed the fish to prevent the spread or was it ok to let it go?
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer99/ectrout.jpg

Captain Compassion
09-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Way to go BoD. Sometimes stockers can be fun. ;) It's my inderstanding that once the waters cool that those little critters will drop off the trout. He looks healthy. He might make it.

CC

bankerbull
09-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Took my neighbor for his first trip to the East Carson on Saturday. We were plannig on leaving at 5 am. I pulled the truck out about 15 til. I go in the house to put some ice in the the cest and look who is early. I say " Gray, I have to go get my coffee and I will be out in a second." Well I grab my coffee and make my way back to the office to grab the camera. It is the last place I had it. It not there. I look around for a few more second and figure I am not going to need it. Well we get there a little after 6 and it is still dark and it is starting to rain. I catch one little one right away but can't even see what it looks like. Toss him back. Well after about an hour we are fishing this pool and what do you know WHAM! At first it felt like a normal hit but once he started to run I knew I had a big one. It took my a few minutes to get him in but once I did I was like I can't believe I don't have a camera. Well we both have or cell phone and Gray took this shoot. I took a few but have not learned how to e-mail them yet. The fish was 22inches and just under 5 lbs. We ended up catching 5 a piece and were off the water by 10. I was fishing spinners while Gray was floating eggs. The fish still live but I don't know for how long. It had that Kpods(SP) circle spot on one of its sides. Should I have killed the fish to prevent the spread or was it ok to let it go?
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer99/ectrout.jpg

Not sure if it will live very long after the stringer was rung through him....it may, may not..shoulda kept it...nice fish

drstressor
09-23-2007, 10:13 PM
If it's been on a stringer, it's a goner.

Don't string a fish unless you plan to keep it.

Releasing or keeping infected fish does not significantly affect the copepod population.

Mackattack
09-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Not to highjack a post Doc but do mackinaw get those copepods also ?

Mackattack

BreakofDawn
09-24-2007, 06:28 AM
Good to know about the stringer. If I photo a fish sometimes I will put it on a stringer and back in the water so as not to stress it out to much. I did not see him floating and he swam away ok. :-?
Capt. Yeah sometimes stockers are fun to catch ;D

JMat
09-24-2007, 06:39 AM
BoD,
Nice Fish! What lure did you catch it on? I was hoping to make it up there this weekend but between the rain and the wife we decided to go to Costco instead.

JMat

BreakofDawn
09-24-2007, 06:53 AM
I caught him on a black and yellow PM with a gold spoon. That will probably be my go to lure this weekend ;)

JMat
09-24-2007, 07:53 AM
You know what's funny...
I just picked up back-ups of that same lure this weekend at Longs Drug Store.

JMat

drstressor
09-24-2007, 07:55 AM
Not to highjack a post Doc but do mackinaw get those copepods also ?

You did hijack the thread, which is not good. Am I grumpy lately or what? ;)

Macks don't get the typical copepods we see on freshwater trout and salmon. First, they don't move into shallow water until low water temperatures render the parasites dormant. Second, char are generally resistant to them. Brookies have even been used to eliminate them from closed systems where they had been infecting rainbows.

troutfan
09-24-2007, 07:58 AM
You did hijack the thread, which is not good. Am I grumpy lately or what? *
You're not being grumpy, at least not in this instance, you just calls them as you sees them! ;) ;D

BreakofDawn
09-24-2007, 08:02 AM
You know what's funny...
I just picked up back-ups of that same lure this weekend at Longs Drug Store.

Hopefully that spells F.I.S.H. :)

garrett_s
09-24-2007, 08:44 AM
nice fish

BreakofDawn
09-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Thanks Gup! :)

Fish_Bully
09-24-2007, 12:30 PM
BreakofDawn I don't know about you sometimes. You take your camera and all we get to see is pictures of locked gates and stuff, then you leave the camera behind and end up catching fish like that. ;D Maybe you ahould always leave it behind. ;D

That fish is a bute and I'll bet it was fun catching it on a small ultralight outfit.

Nice fish and good luck this weekend,

Flip

BreakofDawn
09-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks Flip. The locked gate was pretty funny! I still can't find the camera. My wife said she took it to Wal Mart and that is the last place she saw it >:( ;D The fight was nice. I was reading the Tread about how to keep your line from tangling and from most account it said not to reel agaist the drag. I have always done that. So, I tried not to this time and the fish ran a few time. I had him hooked pretty good too with my barbless outfit. I would of never guessed it was that big until I puilled it out of the water. :)

bennyfisher
09-26-2007, 02:36 PM
for some reason I was thought that the east carson river was off limits at all times but that is what i thought 8-)

BreakofDawn
09-27-2007, 06:46 AM
bennyfisher,
The East Carson River above Carson falls is closed all year round which is a few mile up in the back country. I think is is because of the indangered Piute trout roam those waters. I could be wrong...AL! From the Falls to Hangman's bridge all of your regular rules apply. This section of the river is stocked regularly and get a lot of preasure. From Hangman's bridge to the Nevada Stateline is wild trout section. Artifical lures and single barbless hooks only. Both sections are fun but watch out of bears ;D

gbslade
09-28-2007, 07:30 AM
bennyfisher,
The East Carson River above Carson falls is closed all year round which is a few mile up in the back country. I think is is because of the indangered Piute trout roam those waters. I could be wrong...AL! From the Falls to Hangman's bridge all of your regular rules apply. This section of the river is stocked regularly and get a lot of preasure. From Hangman's bridge to the Nevada Stateline is wild trout section. Artifical lures and single barbless hooks only. Both sections are fun but watch out of bears ;D

Minor correction: The regs say barbless hooks, not single barbless hooks. Bag Limit is zero in this section.

BreakofDawn
09-28-2007, 09:14 AM
8-) Thank for the correction gbslade

Mackattack
09-28-2007, 09:17 AM
I apologize to Break of Dawn and the Doc [smiley=worthy.gif]

Mackattack

BreakofDawn
09-28-2007, 09:35 AM
No apologies needed here Mack...but I can't speak for Doc ;D

FreshwaterFrank
09-28-2007, 10:15 AM
From Hangman's Bridge upstream to Carson Falls regular rules apply. Carson Falls is a good 10 mile hike from the trailhead off Wolf Creek Rd. The fish you will catch from above the confluence of E.Carson & Silver King (5 mile hike) are completely different than lower down the river. Browns in big pools, hybrid cutt crosses, and big Mtn. whitefish. At the falls & in the pools immediately below, you can catch some pretty pure hybrids. These fish, whitefish excluded, have always been pretty easy to catch...so it's good that it's so far off the beaten track. I always use grasshoppers, which I catch in the sagebrush with a net I pack in. Hey, works for me. The whitefish are very hard to catch, but worth it. A taste treat & they get to good size my best is 22". Nymphs work best for the whitefish. I tried every bait possible on the suckers for years, and Weeb finally clued me to the nymphs.

BreakofDawn
09-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Sounds like a good time Frank. And thanks for the Nymph advice ;) I have never caught a white fish but now must add that to my list! My father-in-law has pumped that hike up for two years now and still hasn't taken me >:( ;D Maybe next year. How big are the falls?

FreshwaterFrank
09-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Sounds like a good time Frank. And thanks for the Nymph advice ;) I have never caught a white fish but now must add that to my list! My father-in-law has pumped that hike up for two years now and still hasn't taken me >:( ;D Maybe next year. How big are the falls?

Definitely go for it, that upper meadow is the garden of eden. Carson Falls is a misnomer, it's about a 10' drop just enough to keep anything below from getting above. But a beautiful spot, & the rock canyon below the falls is full of rock pools which are full of blown over cutts. I have a favorite campsite in the middle meadow & it's full of aspen trees, which can be used to smoke any fish you catch. If you ever successfully catch & smoke a whitefish, you will know why they're worth all the trouble!

BusterBrown
09-30-2007, 10:36 AM
nice fish.....my sons and I last fished the sierra lakes was about a month ago.....really windy, but we caught a couple of planters

Captain Compassion
09-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Definitely go for it, that upper meadow is the garden of eden. *

Indeed.
CC

UPPER EAST CARSON FROM WOLF CREEK ROAD
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/uec.jpg

BreakofDawn
10-01-2007, 06:39 AM
Thats it.... I can't wait until next year! [smiley=excited.gif] [smiley=excited.gif] [smiley=excited.gif] Thanks Capt. you just made my winter longer [smiley=snail.gif] [smiley=snail.gif] ;D