PDA

View Full Version : Union Valley: fish, a dog, and a question

Treebeard
09-26-2007, 02:08 AM
Hey there folks, I'm pretty new here and I don't have a boat so hope this isn't too out of place!

Fished UVR on Saturday the 15th. The weather was clear, water was murky but full of 2-3" fingerlings that attacked my line every time I brought it near shore - and I landed 4 nice rainbows, 12-15".

Back to the same spot Sunday the 23rd. Overcast misty/rainy day, lake level waaay down but water clear as could be. No sign of all those little guys, and no bites in 4 hours!

The only fish I saw all day Sunday was a 12" rainbow that my young dog Rosie found and pawed out of the water. It was dead - had been torn up around the head. Nevertheless, "Good dog Rosie, find fish!" She was so proud! (no pics though)

Rosie helping me with a little snag earlier in the year - she actually pulled this from the water:
http://www.omsoft.com/danq/pics/Rosie_helps_log.jpg

So, I have a question - does anyone know why such a big difference in just a week? Where did all the fingerlings go in such a short time? Was there something special about the transition between warm and cold weather?

Oh, guess I should say what I was using and where I was: fishing from shore, using night crawlers on 4-lb leader at the end of 50-lb braided line (I throw it without a rod, for various reasons). Within 100 feet of the inlet of Big Silver Creek - just beyond the far point on the left in the photo:
http://www.omsoft.com/danq/pics/UVR20070915.jpg

Mickey_Thomas
09-26-2007, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the report Treebeard, shore fishing at UV can be a crap shoot, at least the dog found fish :)The fingerlings were close to shore because it was sunny and warming up the shallow water, my guess is they were still there on the cloudy misty day but out farther. The 4 Rainbows you landed is better than what I catch with a boat. Keep the reports coming in. We have a lot of shore fishermen/women on these boards.

tcbritton
09-26-2007, 05:39 AM
one very cold winters day last yr I took my boat to uv and couldnt catch a cold lol we drifted near the shore in about 8 ft of water and had a fish on all four poles at once we spent the rest of the day dodging tree stumps and catching more big bright trout then I ever had before went the next day still sunny but not wind and not one bite not one .I guess thats why its called fishing not catching lol ;)

Treebeard
09-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Why? well... I'm cheap? :P

Reviewing this post, I notice that I'm also a little long-winded when asked to explain myself :D

At first it was just a good way to be able to fish easily if I happened to feel like it while hiking - nothing much to carry, very compact, won't get hung up while walking through the willows, nothing to upset my balance on the rocks - I like to move pretty freely.

And I can fish many places where a rod only gets in the way. Of course, the reverse is true - I can't cast nearly as far in an open space... but mostly I stream fish so it doesn't matter (and I have a new way to "get it out there" in a lake, which I'll post about later). Another disadvantage is that I don't do lures very well... but I can catch grasshoppers better without a pole in one hand!

I think it all started the time I was out by myself, several days away from anywhere, and there were these fish just Right There, and me without a pole... but a nearby firepit held the business end of the remains of a lure, and the bank had about two feet of old stiff monofilament, and I had some twine, and the grasshoppers were hoppin'; so I got dinner and was hooked!

After a while it got to be that I was kinda proud of it, it was my style, and often did/do as well as the well-equipped anglers - in my kind of water, at least. And I do enjoy being a bit unique 8-)

The braid is because it doesn't tangle like monofilament does; and if it does, it's easier for me to untangle. The 50# is because that's what was on sale at the local shop; normally I'd go for 30#. That allows me to pull pretty hard on any snags, lift a few rocks, and only lose the leader - even if my snap swivel is hanging. 50# lets me haul in things like what Rosie's got a hold on in that picture above (and it may haul out Rosie some day - or me?)

I used to toss just from the plastic spool the line came on - compact little things, fit nicely into a little bag I have. Lately I've been using a section of 3" PVC with a small lip put on it; about the same size but harder so the spooling edge doesn't nick as easily and when it does I can just sand it down or replace it. Still fits in my old 5" x 5" bag, along with a mini-spool of 4# leader, my license, and a few small vials with: tin weights (rarely used), snap swivels, #4 hooks, and a few worms.

Lately, I've gotten soft so I put the little bag in my fanny-pack and the night crawlers get to ride next to it in style, all stretched out in their original foam container.

Nowadays there's another reason I don't use a rod: I can't. I sometimes have no coordination or strength in my right hand, and my left refuses to learn, so that complex series of well-timed motions just doesn't happen reliably. Even with the hand line, it's not uncommon to see my arm get befuddled, toss it straight up in the air at high velocity and have it land in my beard... seems to happen mostly when someone is watching :-[

That little problem is from Parkinson's (non-progressive, so far), which came from Lyme disease - don't get me started about ticks, and doctors, and... >:(

But this post is about trout :-)

Fishing UVR, I toss out about as far as I can (that's -8 to +40 feet, horizontally speaking); then let out a bunch of slack as the worm sinks - if I do it right the line mostly stays afloat and just travels along the surface toward the sinking-point. That lets it drift down freely. After a while the line is pulled down diagonally a bit, but some stays afloat unless the water's choppy. I keep an eye on this process; if the rate of sinking gets intermittent or speeds up (or stops prematurely) then somebody down there is interested, and the rest - well, you folks know the rest: either it comes to shore or it doesn't.

Did I answer your questions Squid? ;D

-TB

SuperDave
09-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Treebeard, you mentioned that you do a lot of stream fishing. In a stream, the fish don't tend to move very far from their typical holding places. In a lake, the fish are much more nomadic and travel for their food as it doesn't come to them as it does the fish in a stream. In a lake, the fish you caight a week prior might be miles away by the next week.

dar_fisher
09-26-2007, 09:27 AM
As long as you were up there you should have tryed Ice House by the dam that sit-up you use should work well there near the spillway.You have three nice lakes there and can try all of them if one is not giveing you any fish.

dar fisher ;)

Treebeard
09-26-2007, 09:32 AM
In a lake, the fish you caight a week prior might be miles away by the next week.

Right - another reason I mostly stream fish - I'm lazy! Youse lake guys had to figure out how to "walk" on the water ;)

Treebeard
09-26-2007, 09:38 AM
As long as you were up there you should have tryed Ice House by the dam that sit-up you use should work well there near the spillway.You have three nice lakes there and can try all of them if one is not giveing you any fish. ;)

thanks - last fish I caught at Ice House had little white balls in 'im :o
showed it to my fishing buddy; he said "hey, those are mine!"
guess I caught his trout.
Some other fish, same trip, made off with his pole while he was doing something up on shore! I never could catch that pole though.

TB

Treebeard
09-26-2007, 09:44 AM
By the way - seriously - thanks for the helpful replies. This place is nice and friendly and lots of good information! Hope I can contribute my share.

TB

Silver_Streak
09-26-2007, 09:49 AM
IceHouse Res. is kicking out a lot of 12 inchers right now (rainbows). It would be definately easier in a boat though. If fishing from the bank, look for inlets/outlets to fish...goes the same with a boat. ;)

Little_Goose
09-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Good trout at least... ;)

LordRooster
09-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Bank reports are always good. I don't have a boat so I'm always seeking the bank reports and find they are far and few.

Treebeard
09-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Bank reports are always good. I don't have a boat so I'm always seeking the bank reports and find they are far and few.
Then I owe a few... have been lurking here since winter!

Treebeard
09-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Good trout at least... ;)
Yes, Little Goose, they were - and thanks for reminding me - I forgot to post a pic of the fish I got in that inlet last week:
http://www.omsoft.com/danq/pics/fish20070915.jpg

JMat
09-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Treebeard,
Gotta love your posts! *As for banking it I love your ingenuity, I've spent most of my fishing life from the shore and willl continue to post what I come across. *I like the fact that you hovered for quite a few months before joining is pretty typical. *

JMat